Anyone Else Leaving or Considering Leaving RCL Over Prices?

20 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We are starting to mix it up now that we’ve retired.  However most land vacations are not less. Once you book a hotel, food, gas, admissions to places it does add up.  We struggle with where to eat every night on land and then there’s no entertainment but a TV most evenings. If you fly and rent a car to get around then the price really goes up.

All that said we are shopping around and looking for the best prices pp/per night.  Jr suites and up are pretty much off the table anymore and we’re even booking some ocean views due to prices.  Our budget isn’t bigger so higher prices do affect us. 

This is why I believe cruising is targeting families now and the quick rise in the bookings.  When you add in a few kids, the cost and time savings of a cruise vs. land vacations can be substantial.  The savings for couples/solo cruisers is being diminished, but more families are seeing the opportunity even if its at a higher cost than pre-pandemic. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Nope. I don’t understand this whole RXL has got too expensive nonsense. Yeah, if you’re looking to go on a brand new ship like the wonder, Utopia or icon yeah you’re gonna pay a lot of money. I found A cruise on the harmony of the seas next year out of Galveston in February, balcony room for three people, $1,970.

how much cheaper do you expect Royal to go and still make money?

I don’t know, but I seriously think some of you are living in a crazy make-believe world with your assumptions that Royal Caribbean is too expensive.

If that is the case, then you’re only option is carnival which I’m sorry I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever cruise or Margaritaville at Sea.

if you know the absolute simplest basics economics then don’t book high demand ships because high demand equals high prices. It’s a pretty simple formula.

I know it’s hard 🤣🤣🤣 but try booking a ship that’s maybe five years or older I promise you you won’t be disappointed

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/29/2024 at 6:35 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Neglected ships?  I have yet to encounter that particular issue.

Right? In over 30 years of cruising with royal, never been on a ship that I felt was neglected, ever.

• Like 1

Hmmm...I would not suggest getting on Serenade then.   There are indeed things neglected, even before the ship left for her 274 days from Miami...it's unreal.  Including several broken windows, one elevator that is still not running, VCL door slider not working and out of operation, pipes bursting...etc.  

Will be interesting to see what else is broken when I rejoin in Barcelona for 4th quarter.  😮 

Or what has actually been repaired.  😉 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moltar said:

Nope. I don’t understand this whole RXL has got too expensive nonsense. Yeah, if you’re looking to go on a brand new ship like the wonder, Utopia or icon yeah you’re gonna pay a lot of money. I found A cruise on the harmony of the seas next year out of Galveston in February, balcony room for three people, $1,970.

I don’t know, but I seriously think some of you are living in a crazy make-believe world with your assumptions that Royal Caribbean is too expensive.

If that is the case, then you’re only option is carnival which I’m sorry I would never ever ever ever ever ever ever cruise or Margaritaville at Sea.

if you know the absolute simplest basics economics then don’t book high demand ships because high demand equals high prices. It’s a pretty simple formula.

I know it’s hard 🤣🤣🤣 but try booking a ship that’s maybe five years or older I promise you you won’t be disappointed

I have no complaint with the cost of the actual cruise that we will be taking with RCI in a few weeks,what shocks me is the cost of 'extras' like drinks,specialty dining & shore excursions which are so much more expensive than we have been used to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Hmmm...I would not suggest getting on Serenade then.   There are indeed things neglected, even before the ship left for her 274 days from Miami...it's unreal.  Including several broken windows, one elevator that is still not running, VCL door slider not working and out of operation, pipes bursting...etc.  

Will be interesting to see what else is broken when I rejoin in Barcelona for 4th quarter.  😮 

Or what has actually been repaired.  😉 

I have also noticed things like this on some of their older ships.

14 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I have also noticed things like this on some of their older ships.

I wonder how much this will vary from Line to Line or even ship to ship,maybe depending on what happened to them during the pandemic.

We were on P&O's Arcadia last year,OK she is an older ship,I haven't seen quite so much major work going on during a cruise before,replacing pipework,cutting out steelwork,,not just the usual painting.

We were told by a member of the crew that nothing had been done for two years during the pandemic due to lack of money coming in,they were trying to make up for lost time!

I know people who expected ships to have been refurbished while they were 'idle',obviously not!

Currently on MSC Seashore for 21 days.  Paid $49 pppn for inside HC.  Meals (breakfast & dinners) far better than recent experiences on Celebrity and Royal.  We have always done a mix of cruise lines even on our trek to Pinnacle.  Will continue doing Royal ships but think MSC offers a better experience regardless price - and most times price is significantly better.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Moltar said:

But, but but... It's not fair..😂

I want to go on Icon, on Christmas or NYE week, stay in a suite, have the unlimited drink package, the dining package AND  rent an over water Cabana on Coco Cay for my standard cruise budget of $1000 per person/cruise. Why doesn't Royal accomodate my wishes or want my business...? Bad business, they will probably go bancrupt if they continue like this...🤪😎😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/1/2024 at 5:20 PM, GetToLivin said:

Nope, we love the brand and I feel like if I tried another line I'd just be comparing it to RCCL the whole time anyway. I have, however, come to terms that I may only be able to sail once a year instead of two, and per usual, will have to remain very flexible on travel dates so I can lean into any "deals" I find.

DH and I did an AI at a 5-star resort in 2021 before the cruise lines lifted the vaccination requirements - all I did the whole time was look out to the ocean wishing my room was waaaaaay out there in the middle of the sea 🫠

I always compare my cruises with others but value are also part of the comparison. Why stay loyal and just pay way more for one cruise than what you previously went on two. Also the decline in the quality of the food. Personally I enjoy Royal and I have stock but I will not stay loyal to a corporation. I have and will continue to look for the best value on Royal and other cruise lines.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 12:49 PM, Moltar said:

Really good post that I completely agree with 100 percent. The prices on the newest ships, especially Icon, are pretty steep right now, but it has always been that way (although I have never seen prices as high as I have seen for Icon). But you can still have a great cruise on any RCI ship. I am on what I consider a very cheap cruise fare on Allure right now and having a great time. There are things on Allure that I like significantly more than Icon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Robo1098 said:

I always compare my cruises with others but value are also part of the comparison. Why stay loyal and just pay way more for one cruise than what you previously went on two. Also the decline in the quality of the food. Personally I enjoy Royal and I have stock but I will not stay loyal to a corporation. I have and will continue to look for the best value on Royal and other cruise lines.

Same here. I always look for the best value and for me right now, that is not RC. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Really good post that I completely agree with 100 percent. The prices on the newest ships, especially Icon, are pretty steep right now, but it has always been that way (although I have never seen prices as high as I have seen for Icon). But you can still have a great cruise on any RCI ship. I am on what I consider a very cheap cruise fare on Allure right now and having a great time. There are things on Allure that I like significantly more than Icon. 

Next winter an 8 night Caribbean cruise on 20 yo Freedom of the Seas in a standard OVB cabin is just about double what I paid for a similar cruise on 3 yo Odyssey of the Seas this past winter.

You are entitled to your opinion on pricing. I guess you are also entitled to think that no one else knows what they are talking about and I'm quite sure nothing I write is going to change your mind.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Next winter an 8 night Caribbean cruise on 20 yo Freedom of the Seas in a standard OVB cabin is just about double what I paid for a similar cruise on 3 yo Odyssey of the Seas this past winter.

You are entitled to your opinion on pricing. I guess you are also entitled to think that no one else knows what they are talking about and I'm quite sure nothing I write is going to change your mind.

The problem with prices is it is heavily dependent on each person’s financial situation. Personally I think prices for most RCI cruises are still very affordable, considering how bad inflation has been the last few years. But I can understand someone like you who is paying double for a similar cruise a year later on an older ship is going to have a different view. The main point I was conveying is cruise fares on older ships are significantly less than fares on newer ships. In my opinion fares on Icon are crazy. I booked two cruises on Icon when bookings were first available, but there is no way I would pay what people are paying now to cruise on Icon. I enjoyed Icon but it didn’t blow me away, not to mention I think there are a lot of things on Oasis class ships that are way better than Icon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/24/2024 at 10:10 AM, A&L_Ont said:

Currently in the process of booking a Sandals over a cruise for our anniversary in July.

We can fly business to Antigua, stay in a butler room with transfers for just what a suite costs on a RC ship.  The cruise cost doesn’t include airfare, pre-cruise hotel, specialty dining, Ubers or a drink package.  We are hoping that the price bubble with break with RC but who knows when that will happen. It makes it an easy decision even though we love to cruise. 

We actually have changed our plans for July, from Sandals to a Royalton resort in Punta Cana.  

It is an AI, they have a flow rider, we have a Butler which has some perks, private pool/beach area, Diamond lounge, private breakfast area and it is about half of what Sandals would have cost. We stayed a sister resort over NYE in Cancun so we know what to expect. It won't be as nice as Sandals and has kids, but they would have had them on the ship had we cruised.  

It is not a cruise but there is a wave to ride.  More importantly with business air it is 1/3 of what we would have paid to cruise in a Sky Class suite alone, without all the extras on board such as drink package, specialty dining, excursions and no pre cruise hotel or flight cost factored in.

There are caribbean options over cruises.  We are probably booking the same resort for NYE with business air and a 1 BDR suite.  All costs added up would be less than 7 days alone in a Sky Class suite.

It is hard to book a cruise when the value is not there.  At this rate cruises in our home might just be once a year or less, unless the price bubble pops.  Had cruise prices been reasonable for suites we would have taken three more this year, now for us all inclusive are taking over. 

• Like 6

One thing I find missing is pre covid during high hurricane season you could grab a cruise for $100 a day. And January was next being less expensive. I dont see these lower hurricane season deals, maybe newbies booking dont realize how disruptive to ports a hurricane cane be. Or how cold it can be leaving texas in the dead of winter. I just dont see the same off season rates. Maybe I'm looking from the wrong ports and other ports have them idk. I'm preparing to hear complaints from newbies when their cruise is interrupted and no compensation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

I'm preparing to hear complaints from newbies when their cruise is interrupted and no compensation. 

Maybe some of the newbies do not read CC or know about CC until they have a problem and do a search engine which leads them to this site.

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

It is hard to book a cruise when the value is not there.  At this rate cruises in our home might just be once a year or less, unless the price bubble pops.  Had cruise prices been reasonable for suites we would have taken three more this year, now for us all inclusive are taking over. 

Okay but will you please start a travel blog then -- because I love your reviews 😬

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Icon has high prices, but there is value there if you search and if the ship amenities fits your needs. I'm paying roughly $271/pp per night for OVB (removing 3rd/4th cabin guests) as I can skew the number very low. This includes gratuities, TA dinner, and about $200 OBC, booked last fall. You could get balcony for $321/pp per night even 45 days before sailing. 

On paper, which may or may not pan out for my cruise. However I have seen recent sailings show. 

Three meals with Lobster, embarkation lunch in windjammer, two MDR dinners. 

Multiple live rock bands, some cover, some tribute bands focusing on 80s-90s. No 70s party. 

So many night shows/activities it seems hard to fit them all in. Aqua show, wizard of Oz, aforementioned rock bands, dueling pianos, comedy club, ice skating show. Also for those that enjoy headliners, effectors, quest, ect. 

Most free food options offered, aquadome market, buffet, kids buffet, Surfside grill, El loco, park Cafe, pearl Cafe, sorrentos, Basecamp limited menu. It seems to devalue the need for speciality restaurants to supplement if you are just looking for variety or convenience. Including more food options served till 12am. 

Water slides open till 9pm, pool open till 11pm, hot tub open 24hrs.

There is definitely a premium on Icon, but currently there is a lot of perks on this ship that hasn't been on others. Particular with food, shows, pools, and the availability of them late into the evening all of which has been criticized for lack of previously. 

Side note, I do still think this ship is really only of value for families. Just showing that despite the high prices, there is reason why people would still book it, outside of being a new ship. 

Edited by SUgwoz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, GetToLivin said:

Okay but will you please start a travel blog then -- because I love your reviews 😬

When we go non-cruise I usually post some select photos/details on the Daily Thread found on the main RC page. Keep your eyes open around July 23 for photos there. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SUgwoz said:

Icon has high prices, but there is value there if you search and if the ship amenities fits your needs. I'm paying roughly $271/pp per night for OVB (removing 3rd/4th cabin guests) as I can skew the number very low. This includes gratuities, TA dinner, and about $200 OBC, booked last fall. You could get balcony for $321/pp per night even 45 days before sailing. 

I prefer my deals.  🙂

Oasis TA - $106/night (including gratuities) SOLO in OVB.  Plus $575 OBC.

Odyssey TA - $155/night (including gratuities) SOLO in OVB.  Plus $500 OBC.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I prefer my deals.  🙂

Very good deals on very nice ships.

4 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I prefer my deals.  🙂

Take my money!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I prefer my deals.  🙂

Had to reread this but I'm not that far different. 

Voyager Balcony pool deck, im psyched. $103 per day. Solo, I'd have to look $100? Obc, plus $100 for rcl shares. May 2025. Dp340 or wouldnt be that irresistible. You have more obc is the only difference. I also booked the 10 day after, not such a good deal. Good ports. But I'm right there with you in price. Not enough obc to even cover my tips. 

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1