Refundable credit

Posted (edited)

What is the earliest timeframe prior to disembarkation that you can receive a refund of refundable credit?

Two days ago one clerk at reception told me it was within three days of the end of the cruise, today a different clerk told me it was the day of disembarkation.

So which is it?  I'd like to hear from people with firsthand experience before I go back to elevate this issue.

I really don't want to wait until disembarkation to get this resolved.

Edited by shepherd really

Posted (edited)

Firsthand experience multiple times aboard different R & O ships:  

Told by reception that it can be refunded the afternoon or evening before disembarkation.  It always worked as stated.  Could it have happened earlier?  Can't say; I had no reason to ask as the given answer was reasonable and convenient (for us).

I'd be wary of trying it on the morning of disembarkation because your shipboard account will have already been closed, IIRC.

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone. One of my travel companions was told they could do it today for a 5% charge or tomorrow for no charge. I can wait until tomorrow. It a pretty big amount.

it would be nice if there was some consistency but I’ll deal with it.

Edited by shepherd really
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, shepherd really said:

Thanks everyone. One of my travel companions was told they could do it today for a 5% charge or tomorrow for no charge. I can wait until tomorrow. It a pretty big amount.

Never heard of that 5% charge, but I hardly ever have any left and if I do we've just always got it on the penultimate day. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, ORV said:

Never heard of that 5% charge, but I hardly ever have any left and if I do we've just always got it on the penultimate day. 

Doesn't it automatically go back on your credit card is you don't cash out at the end of the cruise?  I thought that was true, but I never never seem have any credit balance at the end.

Edited by 1985rz1

55 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Doesn't it automatically go back on your credit card is you don't cash out at the end of the cruise?  I thought that was true, but I never never seem have any credit balance at the end.

Only know of them giving cash or sending a check for refundable credit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Don't wait until the very end.  I did this on a recent cruise and had a sizeable refund coming to me.  When I went to reception to get my cash, they only had small bills left and unless I wanted to haul a bag of money with me, it was unreasonable to cash out.  They said that a credit would appear on my credit card; however, I've never had them actually provide a refund to my credit credit card.  It has typically arrived via check a couple weeks later.  On this most recent occasion, it was over 3 weeks before I received the check.  But it did arrive without prompting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1985rz1 said:

A large portion of the credits were not from my credit card so I prefer not to leave it to the whim of Oceania or chance after getting conflicting answers from the front desk.   I'll report back tomorrow on how it went.

1 minute ago, vlthom said:

Don't wait until the very end.  I did this on a recent cruise and had a sizeable refund coming to me.  When I went to reception to get my cash, they only had small bills left and unless I wanted to haul a bag of money with me, it was unreasonable to cash out.  They said that a credit would appear on my credit card; however, I've never had them actually provide a refund to my credit credit card.  It has typically arrived via check a couple weeks later.  On this most recent occasion, it was over 3 weeks before I received the check.  But it did arrive without prompting.

Agreed, that is exactly what I intend to do tomorrow.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vlthom said:

Good advise.

There are, slowly, an increasing number of passengers from countries where a cheque can only be found as a reminder of a bygone era inside a museum.

• Like 4

The accounting on Riviera recently was a nightmare. I checked our statement several times during the cruise and told Reception repeatedly that they were using refundable credit rather than the unrefundable. Because we disembarked a day early, they closed our account before I realized I would not be able to get our refundable OBC in cash and get a final statement. 10 days later we received a check in an incorrect amount. After several emails and a lengthy phone call with an Administrator in Guest Services, we finally agreed upon a future cruise credit that was slightly in our favor.

• Like 1

OK, I received my refundable credit this morning after having to do the "I want to speak to your supervisor" routine. 

First answer, not until the day of disembarkation

Second answer, not until the day before disembarkation

Third answer, we can send you a check in month.

Finally, the manager "explained" that they did not want to cash out because "I might have additional onboard expenses".  I explained that they had my credit card on file for just such a circumstance and that I wanted the cash now.   She finally admitted that was doeable, and did it.  

It seems Oceania wants to hold onto cash as long as possible and wishes to discourage customers in order to achieve that goal.  A month of additional interest that they accrue goes to their bottom line, I prefer to have my cash in my pocket, not Oceania's.

Did this ruin my cruise experience or make me never want to cruise with them again?  Not at all.  

They resisted, I persisted and the issue is now resolved in my favor.

The End.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

You haven't mentioned, but have you had any cancelled ports or times changed negatively? How was Montevideo? I enjoyed it more than some of the other ports, but we did 3 or 4 Brazil stops before it that I wasn't that enthralled with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

You haven't mentioned, but have you had any cancelled ports or times changed negatively? How was Montevideo? I enjoyed it more than some of the other ports, but we did 3 or 4 Brazil stops before it that I wasn't that enthralled with. 

I think no port cut would be approved by the management on this cruise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Not a single port cancellation, Montevideo was charming. We strolled around town. A few shops were open, but it was Sunday, so most were closed.  The locals started appearing by 3:00. We had a beer at a local restaurant and enjoyed the ambiance.  Lots of dogs around, so it was heaven for us dog lovers (I miss mine).  

Punte del Este is tomorrow. 

The weather has been perfect.  This has been an excellent cruise.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shepherd really said:

Not a single port cancellation, Montevideo was charming. We strolled around town. A few shops were open, but it was Sunday, so most were closed.  The locals started appearing by 3:00. We had a beer at a local restaurant and enjoyed the ambiance.  Lots of dogs around, so it was heaven for us dog lovers (I miss mine).  

Punte del Este is tomorrow. 

The weather has been perfect.  This has been an excellent cruise.  

OK, so one port, Punta Del Este, was cancelled after I posted.  It was a tender port that would have been too rough to tender into, so we've had an extra day in Buenos Aires.

Not a big deal for me.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, shepherd really said:

OK, so one port, Punta Del Este, was cancelled after I posted.  It was a tender port that would have been too rough to tender into, so we've had an extra day in Buenos Aires.

Not a big deal for me.

I agree. Even if you have never been there it’s not much to miss. For me it would be the least interesting port on your itinerary.

• Like 1

We got ours about three weeks after the cruise ended.  They mailed a cheque to us.  If it is a large amount, head office usually refunds it as the ship usually does not have enough cash on hand to pay it out.

5 hours ago, no fuss travel said:

We got ours about three weeks after the cruise ended.  They mailed a cheque to us.  If it is a large amount, head office usually refunds it as the ship usually does not have enough cash on hand to pay it out.

Did they automatically send it after the cruise? Or did you have to go to the reception desk to request the refund?