Celebrity is not more expensive

zitsky

On our first Oceania cruise, we were a little surprised by how quiet the ship was at night and what appeared to be a lack of entertainment compared to Celebrity. The crowd was definitely older than we were used to and it seemed they were less active. However, we discovered that the entertainment on Oceania and Regent is much more personal. There is only one show in the theater each night, usually at 9:30. The singers and dancers and the musicians were every bit as talented and professional as on Celebrity. True, you don't get the acrobats, but I never figured how they fit into a Broadway-style show anyway. There is also music in the lounges, usually a piano player and a string trio. The difference is that the entertainment is much more personal. The cruise director usually does a show and they can be very talented. We had one on Oceania and another on Regent that were excellent. We saw an excellent opera group on Oceania. It's all small scale, up close and personal. And on Regent the crew does a show at the end of each cruise called Krew Kapers that is heartwarming. Very talented crew members from all departments sing and dance - the same people who have taken care of you all cruise.

What's missing from Oceania and Regent are the things we ignore on Celebrity anyway - the art auction, the "special sales" in the shops, the charm bracelets, the photography, the show in the martini bar, and the people who are working hard to get their money's worth for their drink package (although the most drunk person I've ever seen was on one of our Oceania cruises).

As someone else said, we all enjoy cruises in our own way. I think it was hard for us to accept that the quieter, smaller ships fit our lifestyle now as we are older. For years I thought I could never go on a small ship, but once I tried it I like most aspects of smaller ship cruising. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, RichYak said:

Waking up hungover after a long night at the martini bar, gorging myself with scrambled eggs, bacon and coffee, making my way off the ship and trying to follow the person who is holding up a paddle with the same number as the sticker on my shirt…

Oh sorry, you were asking someone else

Oh, so you are a paddle follower.  I stay away from the sticker-wearers and paddle followers because of their blocking techniques!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, lorimay said:

On our first Oceania cruise, we were a little surprised by how quiet the ship was at night and what appeared to be a lack of entertainment compared to Celebrity. The crowd was definitely older than we were used to and it seemed they were less active. However, we discovered that the entertainment on Oceania and Regent is much more personal. There is only one show in the theater each night, usually at 9:30. The singers and dancers and the musicians were every bit as talented and professional as on Celebrity. True, you don't get the acrobats, but I never figured how they fit into a Broadway-style show anyway. There is also music in the lounges, usually a piano player and a string trio. The difference is that the entertainment is much more personal. The cruise director usually does a show and they can be very talented. We had one on Oceania and another on Regent that were excellent. We saw an excellent opera group on Oceania. It's all small scale, up close and personal. And on Regent the crew does a show at the end of each cruise called Krew Kapers that is heartwarming. Very talented crew members from all departments sing and dance - the same people who have taken care of you all cruise.

What's missing from Oceania and Regent are the things we ignore on Celebrity anyway - the art auction, the "special sales" in the shops, the charm bracelets, the photography, the show in the martini bar, and the people who are working hard to get their money's worth for their drink package (although the most drunk person I've ever seen was on one of our Oceania cruises).

As someone else said, we all enjoy cruises in our own way. I think it was hard for us to accept that the quieter, smaller ships fit our lifestyle now as we are older. For years I thought I could never go on a small ship, but once I tried it I like most aspects of smaller ship cruising. 

Agree we all enjoy cruises in our own way and I am in no way criticizing your view just sharing ours.

We are old timers but after considering Regent/ Oceania,etc. we are not buying in. We don't care for the shops, photos, art auctions, charm bracelets etc.(and as frequent cruisers make fun of these between ourselves) either but do enjoy the vibrancy of the larger ships. Always another bar, restaurant, entertainment venue to try (good or bad).  We have never gone hungry on HAL, X, Princess, or MSC in suites or MDR's and have never been on a cruise where we thought the food was so exceptional that we would immediately go back (or so bad we would never return). All we ask for in a cabin is cleanliness and a reasonably modern design with a true balcony along with a consistent room attendant and decent room service.  Our reason for sometimes getting a suite are expanded options for a dedicated pool and more dining, lounge venues. We don't covet a two bedroom Penthouse suite with a butler when we want to be out enjoying the ship. 

While I agree with the value of Regency /Oceania as far as what is included it isn't a style of cruising that we are excited about ie. I like having great seats for a baseball game but don't necessarily want to be in the owners suite. It is nice to have a small trailer when camping but not interetsed in a Bluebird Wanderlodge. So bottom line for us,  we are hoping that the mainstream cruiselines don't overprice and eviscarate their product (which has brought us much enjoyment in past decade(s))  to the point where cruising becomes unnattractive. JMHO

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

Oh, so you are a paddle follower.  I stay away from the sticker-wearers and paddle followers because of their blocking techniques!

Actually I'm not, but I needed it for the joke 😂

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

So bottom line for us,  we are hoping that the mainstream cruiselines don't overprice and eviscarate their product (which has brought us much enjoyment in past decade(s))  to the point where cruising becomes unnattractive. JMHO

Good luck with that.  For us, that mass market cruise line ship has already sailed until they change course back to better quality/value. JMHO.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lorimay said:

Totally agree! The larger ships are relying more on the spectacular technical special effects to impress and they do, but after seeing the same show a few times on different sailings I stop going.

For those who feel that they would be board on a small ship do not book the Flora - only a 100 passengers and not much night life. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, billc23 said:

Totally agree! The larger ships are relying more on the spectacular technical special effects to impress and they do, but after seeing the same show a few times on different sailings I stop going.

For those who feel that they would be board on a small ship do not book the Flora - only a 100 passengers and not much night life. 

It was a funny suggestion.  The Flora expeditions are not intended for night life at all.  Piano relaxation music with some scotch/port well prepares one for next day’s adventure.

Edited by kirtihk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Liao said:

But like food, like/dislike of the entertainment is subjective.

Good point.  Some view the OVC as fine dining 🤣

I suppose that it would be rather difficult to get a Big Mac on Regent 🤣

Edited by NMTraveller

18 hours ago, ChucktownSteve said:

Good luck with that.  For us, that mass market cruise line ship has already sailed until they change course back to better quality/value. JMHO.

100%, mass cruise lines are passe for us and our many cruising friends. The downgrading and constant class separation are main reasons. 

We are excited to take two one week cruises in January 25. One on new 175,000 ton Princess Sun which will have a dedicated suite area and a myriad of specialty dining, entertainment options. Then onto HAL Nieuw Statendam where we can't wait to enjoy BB Kings and Rolling Stone music venues. All in on these cruises is under 10k combined. So we remain pleased with some mainstream cruise options as they exist understanding that the quality/value propositions are limited. As stated we like the newer and larger 100,000-175,000 ton ships for the things to do and even if Daniel Boulud was preparing all my meals personally would not be interested in the small ship luxury segment. Well maybe if they served Caymus and Nickel and Nickel included with premium package I would reconsider.....

X is the only mainstream line that has failed us to date but cruising is a dynamic industry and I would not be surprised if our evaluation was different several years from now. JMHO

FYI - Booked a B2B on Beyond for July 2024. Just compared the prices today, 03/07, for the B2B and OMG! An Inside on these cruises today is $2,275 more than when I booked last year for an OV. Yet, I have received emails from Celebrity and my TA today saying that there is a big sale on if you book today.

LOL

For the difference I can book another 7 day X cruise. 

6 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

100%, mass cruise lines are passe for us and our many cruising friends. The downgrading and constant class separation are main reasons. 

I guess you are not sailing in the suite class,  I suspect most in the suite class enjoy the ship within a ship concept and the resulting class separation.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, QuestionEverything said:

There is “downgrading” (less value for $$ spent) and “class separation” across most types of entertainment and even non-entertainment activities.

Ticket prices for pro sports events keep rising while the perks get whittled down; and there is definitely your “class separation” that you reference with those fans paying the most getting the best seats front and center or up in a private sky box.

Pay top $ for a music concert and you will experience your “class separation” with everything from reserved parking to best seats and possibly an invite-only reception with the performers post concert.  The special extras seem to be shrinking in this area also.

Transportation: Airlines have “downgraded” the meals in 1st class and give no meals any more to coach; although one can pay an extra charge for an upgraded snack.  And there is definitely your “class separation” of seating areas: coach, premium, business and 1st class. 

Reading through multiple cruise line forums I see a pattern of the long-time loyal cruisers of any specific cruise line lamenting how their experience has been downgraded and speculating as to where the next greener pasture is. 

Land travel isn’t an automatic escape from class separation either. You make choices.  Do I inexpensively ride the local bus for hours from one town to the next in a foreign country and experience the people and culture face to face; or do I hire a private driver and insulate myself . . . a class separation of sorts.

I get it. It’s disappointing to see significant changes with a product or venue that we feel has given us good value and pleasure for years.  Nothing is the same anywhere. It seems as though you have the financial means to make choices that suit your preferences . . . and you can be pleased about that. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 7:55 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Laughing at people for their opinion, that's a good one.  

I would have thought with AGT,  The Voice,  and others that people would have been able to tell the difference between a cruise ship act and a good act.

I have yet to meet a band or individual that could open for a headliner on board a cruise ship (B grade acts).  Perhaps they have them with musical cruises (I have not been on one of those).

Edited by NMTraveller

They do have A list acts on music cruises. Few such things on regular cruises. But I find some of those to be pretty good. But I don’r expect cruise ship entertainment to be top pros. Actually, we seldom attend it, regardless of the line.

On 3/3/2024 at 11:58 AM, Jim_Iain said:

It is impossible to make a blanket statement about all cruises and classes of cabin. 

After many years as an exclusive upper Celebrity Suite Passengers I finally decided to explore other cruising opportunities and have found some very good deals that won my booking as oppose to Celebrity.   Price was on of the considerations while many other changes at Celebrity also played into my recent bookings.   Our target market is different from many others is usually CS and RS.

I will give one example - Where Price had a major influence on decision.

Oceania -   Istanbul - Barcelona  -  Oceania Vista Nov 9, 2025   10 Day

Booking includes $600 OBC, Free Champagne, Free Specialty Dining , Free Wif,  Free drinks with all meals and a cocktail hour.   They do sell a premium upgrade.

We booked the Owner Suite  which is larger than a PH so that can be used for comparison -  $24,000.   To us it was an incredible deal-

Compared to Celebrity on a similar cruise approx same number of days -

Celebrity Suite    $20,536    500 Sq Ft

Royal Suite          $29,536    759 Sq Ft

Edge Villa            $34,536     950 Sq Ft

Penthouse           $40,536    1,575 Sq Ft

image.png.388580f11dbceff1932eb360f0b3175c.png

Highlights
  • Complimentary laundry service - up to 3 bags per stateroom (some restrictions apply)
  • Priority Noon ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • 24-hour Butler service
  • Complimentary in-suite bar setup with 6 full-size bottles of premium spirits and wines from our suite beverage menu
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Fresh fruit basket replenished daily
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace
  • iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board
  • Optional private in-suite embarkation day lunch from noon to 2 pm in Owner’s Suites
  • Customized entertainment system
  • Bulgari gift set and variety of amenities
  • Choice of daily printed newspaper
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag and personalized stationery
  • Cashmere lap blankets
  • Choice of pillow from a luxurious selection
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply)

Man, one day I hope to be at a place that spending $20,000+ on a cruise would be an option for me. It's really far off right now. Enjoy. 

• Like 3

So I looked up music cruises.  They do have one upcoming on the Summit I believe.  Good acts.  Much better than on board.

Guess where the stops were???   🤣  Labadee  was one.  I wonder what the excursions would be for Haiti 🥸

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So I looked up music cruises.  They do have one upcoming on the Summit I believe.  Good acts.  Much better than on board.

Guess where the stops were???   🤣  Labadee  was one.  I wonder what the excursions would be for Haiti 🥸

The main options are the Private Beach or the Private Beach.  There's also a highly rated and popular excursion to the Private Beach.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Having been on a number of music cruises, I know that guests on them rarely get off the ship. Ports and excursions are really irrelevant. We pay a premium for the music. We don’t want to miss any of it.

Posted (edited)

Did you do the Private Beach 😁

I hear they are considering other options. 

Maybe

Barbecue with "Barbecue"

Sniper 101

Suppression Fire from the Martini Bar

A coup for two (Valentines Day)

Ted Nugent:  Pirate Hunting

😁

Edited by NMTraveller

I don’t know what music cruises are out there now. We have been on four “Moody Blues cruises” and the best one was on the Eclipse, where our VIP status got us a CS, and all the perks included for that suite at that time — 2017. But music cruises are chartered by organizations other than the cruise line. The itinerary and inclusions are negotiated between the charter and the line, so you might get more perks on those charters, but usually less. On the Eclipse, we got the same. I know a guy who recently took a “smooth jazz” cruise on Celebrity. It went to the southern Caribbean (A,B,C islands) on Celebrity. I don’t know all the details, but he really liked it. So no, all music cruises do not go to Haiti. I don’t know what port stops our music cruise made, because the music was all day, and that’s what I wanted.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Here is the latest Music cruise coming up on the Summit...

Home | Flower Power Cruise

I would call it the Haitian coup cruise.... 😁

I bet that cruise would be filled with scooters and walkers on the stage😱

I am late 60’s and all the groups is before my time 🤣

when I work air flow in nursing homes , they would be playing music from 40’s ,  

I thought when I got into a nursing the would be play “Paradise  by the dash board lights” 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I bet that cruise would be filled with scooters and walkers on the stage😱

I am late 60’s and all the groups is before my time 🤣

when I work air flow in nursing homes , they would be playing music from 40’s ,  

I thought when I got into a nursing the would be play “Paradise  by the dash board lights” 😁

The only band on the list that I have seen in person is the Bronx Wanderers.  They are a good band.  It is a father, son,  and other combo.  They play music from the 70s and 80s.  The sons are in a band that will open for headliners in front of 60k people.

The other bands I have heard of,  but not been to one of their concerts.

If the rest are as old as you imply,  I suppose that they have had their share of plastic surgery to look younger 😉

12 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Did you do the Private Beach 😁

I hear they are considering other options. 

Maybe

Barbecue with "Barbecue"

Sniper 101

Suppression Fire from the Martini Bar

A coup for two (Valentines Day)

Ted Nugent:  Pirate Hunting

😁

I’ve always thought it was pretty gross to mock other’s misfortunes. For Haiti’s citizens, it’s a horrific time.

No one gets a choice in where they are born.  I was fortunate to be raised in a safe environment in a family which prioritized my wellbeing and education. I’ve always had easy access to excellent medical care. Other human beings do not have this through no fault of their own.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1