Celebrity is not more expensive

zitsky

So I listened to all the folks saying Celebrity is expensive.  So I got a quote from Regent for a 14 day Japan cruise all inclusive with airfare in a Penthouse B suite with butler.  It came out to ONLY $49,000 for two pax.  I just about fell off my chair.

I realize a better comparison might be a veranda cabin which I’ve peeked at before on the website but never formally priced out.  But since Celebrity includes a butler again in all suites I wanted to compare butler for butler.

However I still don’t quite see how Celebrity is more expensive than THAT.  I’m not quite ready to spend that much on a cruise.  Unless I get free toilet paper.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, zitsky said:

So I listened to all the folks saying Celebrity is expensive.  So I got a quote from Regent for a 14 day Japan cruise all inclusive with airfare in a Penthouse B suite with butler.  It came out to ONLY $49,000 for two pax.  I just about fell off my chair.

I realize a better comparison might be a veranda cabin which I’ve peeked at before on the website but never formally priced out.  But since Celebrity includes a butler again in all suites I wanted to compare butler for butler.

However I still don’t quite see how Celebrity is more expensive than THAT.  I’m not quite ready to spend that much on a cruise.  Unless I get free toilet paper.

I am not surprised that Celebrity is not more than Regent, but as I understand it Regent is more of a luxury line.  Try comparing it to Princess, Holland, or NCL.  As a solo traveler I can tell you that Celebrity is outrageous!  In most cases if a solo was to book the AI option, which is now just tips and drinks, the price doubles or more than doubles and is way more than just adding the drink pkg and tips.  They have pretty much priced themselves out of that market and created a lot of bad will along the way!  Celebrity does not provide good value!

• Like 12

A comparable RS on Millie for Japan will set you back about $23k. Add another $15k for biz class airfare and you're at $38k. Add shore excursions, transfers, etc. and you're over $40k. Sure, RSSC is more expensive in this case, but you're in the same ball park.

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Of the mass market cruise lines, Celebrity is more upscale or luxury by design, but it is not in the category, such as Regent, as being a Premium line. (Others include Silversea, Oceana, Viking, Seabourn, etc.)  Google them and research their offerings. They are in an entirely different category.  You are by no means looking at apples to apples.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, zitsky said:

That’s kind of like saying a mid-range Mercedes SUV costs more than a top of the line Buick SUV. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Ellaleah said:

I am not surprised that Celebrity is not more than Regent, but as I understand it Regent is more of a luxury line.  Try comparing it to Princess, Holland, or NCL.  As a solo traveler I can tell you that Celebrity is outrageous!  In most cases if a solo was to book the AI option, which is now just tips and drinks, the price doubles or more than doubles and is way more than just adding the drink pkg and tips.  They have pretty much priced themselves out of that market and created a lot of bad will along the way!  Celebrity does not provide good value!

Regarding booking as a solo on Celebrity, I think you will find that the ridiculous pricing they had for this just a few weeks ago, has returned to "normal" and I use the word lightly.  I have a RS booked for a TA, I did book double, but there is a chance my husband will not go and if I drop him from the res. the price drops by $2,000 and honestly for a RS (Eclipse) the pricing was a real pleasant surprise.  Perhaps try a mock booking for a cruise that interests you, I hope you will find the same surprise that I did.  Good luck

• Like 2

Cruise line comparison can vary with itinerary. And comparing a Penthouse on Regent to an unspecified suite on X is a bit of a miss. First, on Regent, you don’t need a butler, because room stewards have fewer suites and are tasked with all things that butlers do on X. So the comparison should be with a concierge suite or lower on Regent. And it needs consideration that the MDR on Regent (Compass Rose) is more like a specialty restaurant than a MDR. And on Regent, one is free of crowds on all parts of the ship. I priced a 7 night E. Caribbean on Regent in a concierge suite vs X in a SS, and found Regent less expensive, given the itinerary. And all things considered.

Posted (edited)

It is impossible to make a blanket statement about all cruises and classes of cabin. 

After many years as an exclusive upper Celebrity Suite Passengers I finally decided to explore other cruising opportunities and have found some very good deals that won my booking as oppose to Celebrity.   Price was on of the considerations while many other changes at Celebrity also played into my recent bookings.   Our target market is different from many others is usually CS and RS.

I will give one example - Where Price had a major influence on decision.

Oceania -   Istanbul - Barcelona  -  Oceania Vista Nov 9, 2025   10 Day

Booking includes $600 OBC, Free Champagne, Free Specialty Dining , Free Wif,  Free drinks with all meals and a cocktail hour.   They do sell a premium upgrade.

We booked the Owner Suite  which is larger than a PH so that can be used for comparison -  $24,000.   To us it was an incredible deal-

Compared to Celebrity on a similar cruise approx same number of days -

Celebrity Suite    $20,536    500 Sq Ft

Royal Suite          $29,536    759 Sq Ft

Edge Villa            $34,536     950 Sq Ft

Penthouse           $40,536    1,575 Sq Ft

image.png.388580f11dbceff1932eb360f0b3175c.png

Highlights
  • Complimentary laundry service - up to 3 bags per stateroom (some restrictions apply)
  • Priority Noon ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • 24-hour Butler service
  • Complimentary in-suite bar setup with 6 full-size bottles of premium spirits and wines from our suite beverage menu
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Fresh fruit basket replenished daily
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace
  • iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board
  • Optional private in-suite embarkation day lunch from noon to 2 pm in Owner’s Suites
  • Customized entertainment system
  • Bulgari gift set and variety of amenities
  • Choice of daily printed newspaper
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag and personalized stationery
  • Cashmere lap blankets
  • Choice of pillow from a luxurious selection
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply)
Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 13

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Istanbul - Barcelona  -  Oceania Vista Nov 9, 2025

We booked the Owner Suite

A milestone birthday month for me.  Looks like there will be plenty of room for a couple of stowaways.  DH and I could sleep on the verandah.  Just sayin'.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Looking at Panama Canal.Both have similar ports.

Full Transit 

Jan 2026

Regent : 12 day 

Concierge Cabin: C$23 098 ( pre TA / R OBC)

308 sq ft 

Granted no Butler in this category, I’ll just have to make do lol!

X Ascent Dec 2025 Partial Transit 

11 days 

Retreat Sky Suite: C$22 993  ( pre TA OBC , no OBC from X)

319 sq ft

Ascent is  a holiday sailing , but irrespective, for a luxury cruise line, Regent is well within our price point. Food in Luminae on our recent cruise was really uninspiring. Specialities were great. 

Edited by dock

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is impossible to make a blanket statement about all cruises and classes of cabin. 

After many years as an exclusive upper Celebrity Suite Passengers I finally decided to explore other cruising opportunities and have found some very good deals that won my booking as oppose to Celebrity.   Price was on of the considerations while many other changes at Celebrity also played into my recent bookings.   Our target market is different from many others is usually CS and RS.

I will give one example - Where Price had a major influence on decision.

Booking includes $600 OBC, Free Champagne, Free Specialty Dining , Free Wif,  Free drinks with all meals and a cocktail hour.   They do sell a premium upgrade.

We booked the Owner Suite  which is larger than a PH so that can be used for comparison -  $24,000.   To us it was an incredible deal-

Compared to Celebrity on a similar cruise approx same number of days -

Celebrity Suite    $20,536    500 Sq Ft

Royal Suite          $29,536    759 Sq Ft

Edge Villa            $34,536     950 Sq Ft

Penthouse           $40,536    1,575 Sq Ft

Highlights
  • Complimentary laundry service - up to 3 bags per stateroom (some restrictions apply)
  • Priority Noon ship embarkation with priority luggage delivery
  • Exclusive card-only access to private Executive Lounge staffed by a dedicated Concierge featuring complimentary soft drinks, coffees and snacks throughout the day
  • 24-hour Butler service
  • Complimentary in-suite bar setup with 6 full-size bottles of premium spirits and wines from our suite beverage menu
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Fresh fruit basket replenished daily
  • Priority online specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Aquamar Spa Terrace
  • iPad® upon request for your enjoyment on board
  • Optional private in-suite embarkation day lunch from noon to 2 pm in Owner’s Suites
  • Customized entertainment system
  • Bulgari gift set and variety of amenities
  • Choice of daily printed newspaper
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag and personalized stationery
  • Cashmere lap blankets
  • Choice of pillow from a luxurious selection
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation (certain limitations apply)

I looked at that cruise, noticing the great pricing, but we had already booked a b2b.  My DH said that he would never find me in that large of a cabin...I replied, exactly!  Anyway, it looks lovely and hope you will do a review next year.  Our first cruise is a TA in May on O, so I'm interested in seeing how it works for us, as it was much cheaper than Celebrity too, not to mention had the itinerary we wanted...time will tell, but my glass is half-full!  

Question:  Do you have to pay extra for gratuities?

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sure to someone who spends $2,000 on a vacation, then yes, Celebrity is expensive.

Yes I know Regent is a luxury line.  I prefer to spend money on cars.  Some people spend it on cruises.

Edited by zitsky

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You will love this suite.

I’ve been fortunate enough to book twice (once on the Marina and once on the Riviera’s maiden voyage).  Threw some great parties there.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Mark_K said:

That’s kind of like saying a mid-range Mercedes SUV costs more than a top of the line Buick SUV. 

I’ve owned both a Buick and a Mercedes-Benz.  Both are nice in their own way.

Yes Regent cabin is bigger.  I like that Celebrity offers butlers even in the “fake” smaller suites.

Edited by zitsky

Well, all I am saying is that if you want a certain cruise itinerary, shop around and do price comparisons for lines you like. And things change over rather small amounts of time, so the results several months ago might not be accurate today. 

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Sure to someone who spends $2,000 on a vacation, then yes, Celebrity is expensive.

Yes I know Regent is a luxury line.  I prefer to spend money on cars.  Some people spend it on cruises.

Used cars or new?  Some cannot even afford a vacation, so those of us who can are blessed.  I love new ships, European itineraries and spending for quality, but that’s just me.  Give me history, culture, food, private excursions that are non-cruise company and I am happy!  I am all about the experience; no float the boat for me.  Now my DH is about price, but I plan our travel and pay for it; he gets to come for free!

Silversea's single supplement (25-50%) is making it a better deal for me.  Although SS price has increased since I booked, at the time, Summit A2 for 16-night Panama Canal was $11,100 and  $17,600 for S1 (still is).  Versus an 18-night Silver Moon suite for $9800 which includes butler, gratuities, OBC, bevs, excursions, etc.  And the Moon is a 19 yr newer ship, too.   Nicer cabin, newer ship, two days longer, all inclusive, and $7800 less....hmmm, not a difficult decision to jettison my Summit $100 deposit.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Used cars or new?  Some cannot even afford a vacation, so those of us who can are blessed.  I love new ships, European itineraries and spending for quality, but that’s just me.  Give me history, culture, food, private excursions that are non-cruise company and I am happy!  I am all about the experience; no float the boat for me.  Now my DH is about price, but I plan our travel and pay for it; he gets to come for free!

I no longer buy 10 year old Volkswagen Jettas with electrical problems and try to fix them myself.  Or Saturns that you bounce off when you hit them.  This is my third Mercedes-Benz.  Some people spend their money on houses.  I buy used cars, sometimes new.  20 years ago I had one of the only manual transmission C240s bought as a custom order from Germany.

My latest was registered in DC as a diplomatic car.  But it doesn’t have the rear seat features you’d expect in a car with a driver, if it ever had one.  It does have adjustable rear seats.  I wanted the whole executive package but my husband wasn’t excited about driving me around in my own car while I watched movies in the back.  Plus he kept putting the car in neutral when he tried to drive my automatic.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Stem to Stern said:

A milestone birthday month for me.  Looks like there will be plenty of room for a couple of stowaways.  DH and I could sleep on the verandah.  Just sayin'.

We originally were going to try our first cruise on Oceania in a Penthouse which is equivalent to a Sky Suite but when we saw the price and a couple video's of the Owners Suite we couldn't resist.   We ended up booking another Oceania Vancouver Alaska ending in LA for September of this year so we can experience them for the first time.   

I'm surprised how many Ex Celebrity I'm meeting over on the Oceania Forum.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I looked at that cruise, noticing the great pricing, but we had already booked a b2b.  My DH said that he would never find me in that large of a cabin...I replied, exactly!  Anyway, it looks lovely and hope you will do a review next year.  Our first cruise is a TA in May on O, so I'm interested in seeing how it works for us, as it was much cheaper than Celebrity too, not to mention had the itinerary we wanted...time will tell, but my glass is half-full!  

Question:  Do you have to pay extra for gratuities?

You do have to pay extra gratuity, but then again with Celebrity we also do. 

This cruise worked perfect for us.   We are booked on the Lisbon to Buenos Aires.   We then booked this one that puts us into Barcelona 2-3 days before the TA.    Just to make it fun We then booked the  Cunard TA -  New York to London a couple weeks before the Oceania cruise.  

This may be a real good comparison of 3 different cruises with different lines. 

Celebrity's direction of shorter cruise and less interesting itineraries is what is forcing us to look elsewhere.   One we jumped ship with our first Ponant Cruise we are now shopping destination and price as oppose to dedication.    I've learned a big lesson.  

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, What A Market said:

You will love this suite.

I’ve been fortunate enough to book twice (once on the Marina and once on the Riviera’s maiden voyage).  Threw some great parties there.  

Really look forward to it.   We booked the Vista Suite on Regina.   It's a smaller ship and the Owner's suite on Regina is about 1/2 the size.    While some prefer the OS being aft we preferred the Visa Suite which is forward and really not that much smaller. 

Every thing I have read and seen on YouTube has excited us about Oceania. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I’m not at all surprised. 

I'm really interested on how many define Oceania -   They do not consider themself a Luxury Line but in between Celebrity and a Premium Line.     In the past the food has been a huge upside but recently like many of the forums I hear dissatisfaction from their long time cruisers on how cut backs and quality have deteriorated.    

Maybe when we began cruising on Celebrity we were enjoying the - second Golden Age of Cruising and may never see the return of previous standards.     Happy that we got to experience it.

• Like 2