Maximum Age Limit on Excursion

I will be on the Grand Princess ten day cruise to Loreto, La Paz, and the Mexican Riviera in January 2025. A whale watching excursion description I want to take states the maximum age limit is 75. I’ve never seen a maximum age limit before. The excursion also has the usual stuff like do not go on the excursion if you have mobility problems etc. 

Has anyone encountered a maximum age limit before? Do people over 75 get turned away? I am a physically active over 75 year old in excellent health. I called Princess and they said the limitation was set by the vendor and suggested I let the tour desk know of the situation when I board, and if the tour operator turns me away, I’ll get a refund.  

We are taking this cruise to see the whales near Loreto. I do not want to take an independent tour since these tours are generally seven hours long, we are in port for ten hours, and it’s a tender port. I do not want to miss embarkation in Loreto! I’ve looked at the independent tours and none of them had a maximum age limit. 

Have any of you run into this before? What happened? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I decided to see if I can book the excursion, and I was able to. My credit card has been charged and the excursion shows up on my account/journey. Hmmm, I wonder if I will be turned away?

Posted (edited)

Now that I've passed 75, I am starting to notice this.  I get it, even though I am healthy and active, but I am sure more things do happen with older cruisers.  I do understand 'why'--but I don't have to like it!  I have been on tours that had people who should not have been doing that tour--they weren't all over 75 either!

You may find more flexibility with private excursions.  

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

I’ve never seen anyone get “carded” at an excursion. If you are healthy and active, I can’t imagine the tour operator will make you prove your age. 

If you want a private tour, you should be able to take the shuttle to the downtown marina and get something there.

• Like 2

Just now, partybarbie said:

I’ve never seen anyone get “carded” at an excursion. If you are healthy and active, I can’t imagine the tour operator will make you prove your age. 

If you want a private tour, you should be able to take the shuttle to the downtown marina and get something there.

Usually it gets caught on board and the excursion gets canceled by the excursion department. After all the cruise line has everyone's birthdays and ages.

Just now, RSF Cruiser said:

I decided to see if I can book the excursion, and I was able to. My credit card has been charged and the excursion shows up on my account/journey. Hmmm, I wonder if I will be turned away?

Usually it will get canceled on board by the excursion department.

6 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Usually it gets caught on board and the excursion gets canceled by the excursion department. After all the cruise line has everyone's birthdays and ages.

The booking already knows the age and shouldn't let the excursion be booked in the first place, I would think.

It may or may not have any impact, but a doctor's statement of physical fitness couldn't hurt.

Just now, BlerkOne said:

The booking already knows the age and shouldn't let the excursion be booked in the first place, I would think.

It may or may not have any impact, but a doctor's statement of physical fitness couldn't hurt.

They should know, but their system seems to make that review a shipboard function.

From what I have seen the age limits are pretty rigid. There was a lot of discussion about excursion age limits pre covid, especially for scuba and snorkeling excursions. Then they seemed to vanish during restart, but are now starting to show up again.

58 minutes ago, RSF Cruiser said:

Probably not, but possible.  Big ssue is if you have an accident during the excursion it will be your problem.  The small problem is you might lose your paynent.

FWIW after 75 some car rental agencies overseas will not rent you a car.  Others require a surcharge.

Just now, Arizona Wildcat said:

Probably not, but possible.  Big ssue is if you have an accident during the excursion it will be your problem.  The small problem is you might lose your paynent.

FWIW after 75 some car rental agencies overseas will not rent you a car.  Others require a surcharge.

It seems like most excursions these days make everyone sign a waiver anyway 

Think back to when you were 17 or 20 and lied about your age and got away with it. It will probably feel just as good.  Get a fake id if you like.

You’re only as old as you feel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I definitely wouldn’t worry about it.  Princess still lets those with walkers and wheelchairs go on strenuous excursions that are clearly labeled no walkers or wheelchairs.  Last fall we were on one of those excursions and had to miss our last 2 hour stop (a gorgeous waterfall and mini-hike) because there were 2 passengers that had wheelchairs which caused us to be running over a hour behind the other 2 busses on the same excursion.  And no, the excursion desk wouldn’t even give us a partial refund.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I’ve seen age restrictions for scuba diving excursions and believe they are enforced. 

If you go on this excursion knowing you are over the age limit, or worse, lie about your age and something goes wrong, my concern would be whether you’ll be covered by insurance.

Edited by Torfamm

I suspect the excursion operator weighs up the danger associated with the activity and how it might affect its smooth continuation.  If a lot of physical activity were involved and someone became breathless and had chest pains medical intervention might be required.  If you were on a small craft twenty minutes and a third of the way to the objective and they were forced to turn about it could be alleged that someone outside the stated age limits was negligent in booking and culpable for the disruption.

Regards John 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/5/2024 at 8:40 PM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Now that I've passed 75, I am starting to notice this.  I get it, even though I am healthy and active, but I am sure more things do happen with older cruisers.  I do understand 'why'--but I don't have to like it!  I have been on tours that had people who should not have been doing that tour--they weren't all over 75 either!

You may find more flexibility with private excursions.  

On the bright side, you can go through airport security without taking your shoes off.

• Haha 5

On 3/5/2024 at 7:25 PM, BlerkOne said:

Come on, this is a software function and we all know how well Princess IT works.

16 hours ago, Mark_K said:

On the bright side, you can go through airport security without taking your shoes off.

Don't have to with precheck anyway, but guess I'll take whatever 'perks' come with bring 78!

18 hours ago, john watson said:

I suspect the excursion operator weighs up the danger associated with the activity and how it might affect its smooth continuation.  If a lot of physical activity were involved and someone became breathless and had chest pains medical intervention might be required.  If you were on a small craft twenty minutes and a third of the way to the objective and they were forced to turn about it could be alleged that someone outside the stated age limits was negligent in booking and culpable for the disruption.

Regards John 

LOL.  That’s what one side’s lawyer says.  The other one says the operator was negligent for failing to verify age or enforce stated limits.

Age is a pretty arbitrary way to eliminate or control risk. If the excursion was in the US, I would expect a long list of warnings and/or exclusions; under 5, over 75, under 350 lbs, no pregnant women, no pacemakers, no wheelchairs, etc.

10 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

LOL.  That’s what one side’s lawyer says.  The other one says the operator was negligent for failing to verify age or enforce stated limits.

Age is a pretty arbitrary way to eliminate or control risk. If the excursion was in the US, I would expect a long list of warnings and/or exclusions; under 5, over 75, under 350 lbs, no pregnant women, no pacemakers, no wheelchairs, etc.

And since this excursion is in a Caribbean country, good luck if an problem.

Age might be arbitrary, but is a legal way to reduce risk. 

I have seen both age and weight limits on excursions   They are set by the operator and yes I have seen them enforced. I was actually weighed before getting on a zip line tour. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2024 at 5:52 PM, memoak said:

I have seen both age and weight limits on excursions   They are set by the operator and yes I have seen them enforced. I was actually weighed before getting on a zip line tour. 

Interesting, were they weighing everyone?

Regards John

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, john watson said:

Interesting, were they weighing everyone?

Regards John

I’ve seen people weighed for helicopter tours and horseback/mule rides.

Edited by Torfamm
  • Like 1