Door Decoration banned on Regal Princess

Btimmer

2 hours ago, Btimmer said:

They have specifically told me that the corridors are public spaces.

Any area that any passenger can walk through sounds like public to me

• Like 11

So how, exactly, are the Princess-supplied door decorations any safer than the self-applied ones?  Seems to make the claim of safety patently false.  If safety were really the reason, they would make a rule that all door decorations must comply with the SAME safety protocols as used by Princess in the decorations that it supplies.  If they did this, Amazon and Etsy would be selling compliant decorations within hours.

Personally, I don't care one way or the other.  We never indulged.  But it saddens me when something that doesn't affect me is taken away from others when they feel so passionately about it.  

• Like 7

4 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Agree.... always thought they took away from Princess elegance. 

I am sure we are in the minority, but I agree with you.  I think they can be on the tacky side, and no one can argue with the fact that they could be a fire hazard.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can see where safety is a concern, and flame-retardant materials would be required. So yes, Princess could sell something that meets that requirement.

I can also see where doors can be (are?) damaged by some of the decorations applied.

Perhaps compromise and use sidewalk chalk to decorate?

Carnival Cruise Line has had a policy for years. What they lack is enforcement.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3256/~/decorating-your-stateroom-door-and-stateroom

• Like 3

On our last sailing, one person had decorated their entire door as well as the walls on the side of the door.  It was way over the top and tacky.  

I'm also in the minority as I like the policy change. 

And as for the Princess door decoration, perhaps they are no longer including them and just haven't updated their website.  We all know that they are not the best at updating anything but pricing. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

On our last sailing, one person had decorated their entire door as well as the walls on the side of the door.  It was way over the top and tacky.  

I'm also in the minority as I like the policy change. 

And as for the Princess door decoration, perhaps they are no longer including them and just haven't updated their website.  We all know that they are not the best at updating anything but pricing. 

I tend to agree what used to be a small sign has become complete covering of doors with elaborate designs. If you did this in a hotel or land resort it would not be allowed and what is a cruise but a floating resort

• Like 7

1 hour ago, mtnesterz said:

In your post, #7, you explained it was a safety issue. If that is the standard, then for whatever reason, logically, displaying inside the cabin would be a safety issue as well. I think most of us here are old enough to know that when a politician or other authority says something is for our own good or safety, it's dubious.

I am not doubting that you were told of this policy, but I think we would all be interested in reading if you can post a printed copy. We have a small sign with nothing untoward. Won't bother packing for our upcoming if this is the case.

Aside from the safety issue I truly believe that it's the type of things that people stick on the doors and walls that has caused them to change the policy. On the previous trip the last tenant stuck up some of those gummy stick on's -hearts and the color penetrated into the wall paint under the door display. The steward tried to clean the wall but nothing he had could remove the chemical stain.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 555 said:

I truly believe that it's the type of things that people stick on the doors and walls that has caused them to change the policy. On the previous trip the last tenant stuck up some of those gummy stick on's -hearts and the color penetrated into the wall paint under the door display. The steward tried to clean the wall but nothing he had could remove the chemical stain.

100% this.  People have pushed the limits of substantive content as well as construction materials and the natural tendency of people to want to outdo one another, or at least outdo what they themselves did last time, pushed this practice past the point of tolerance.  So the solution is to limit door decorations to only those supplies by the ship where content and construction materials are known and approved, and there is no risk of "decoration escalation".  Simple as that. 

• Like 13

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

100% this.  People have pushed the limits of substantive content as well as construction materials and the natural tendency of people to want to outdo one another, or at least outdo what they themselves did last time, pushed this practice past the point of tolerance.  So the solution is to limit door decorations to only those supplies by the ship where content and construction materials are known and approved, and there is no risk of "decoration escalation".  Simple as that. 

I'm sure they'll be some people who modify them. 

2 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Won't bother packing for our upcoming if this is the case.

My DW will be decorating our door as usual until someone tells me otherwise and I have the opportunity to debate my decision.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

how's a magnet on a door a safety hazard?

I am very partial to gnomes and on our last cruise had a lovely Thanksgiving gnome magnet on the outer door. I've just picked up two spring-themed gnomes from the Dollar store...View Metal Gnome Garden Decorations with

gonna take the chimes off, of course.

1 hour ago, memoak said:

Any area that any passenger can walk through sounds like public to me

Totally agree, but the actual door itself could be considered private property for at least your cruise. 

Would be akin to rental property, legally speaking it is considered "your" private property while you are occupying the space.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

how's a magnet on a door a safety hazard?

One small magnet would not be an issue.  But, how far does it go and do you put the cabin stewards in charge of the decision process?  Can I cover my whole door with magnets?  How about the walls on either side?  Can I use materials besides magnets?   I would guess that Princess thinks it's easier to just ban everything

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stoneharborlady said:

I am sure we are in the minority, but I agree with you.  I think they can be on the tacky side, and no one can argue with the fact that they could be a fire hazard.  

Please indulge us by explaining how ANY decoration applied to a metal (i assume since magnets stick to them?) would be the cause or an accelerant for a fire?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

How the hell am I going to find my cabin at 3am now staggering down the corridor is bad enough without trying to figure out the numbers

Beat me to it. My door decorations have saved me from trying to enter the wrong room more than once. (Seriously, I've knocked on the right door, wrong deck before. Luckily no one was home. I finally figured it out) 😉

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Carnival Cruise Line has had a policy for years. What they lack is enforcement.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3256/~/decorating-your-stateroom-door-and-stateroom

Read the actual Princess policy that @BlerkOne provided the link too (i copied and pasted them below), no where does it say you cannot have ANY decorations but gives you the policy guidelines of the door decorations that Princess deems as acceptable.

And after i for one have read them they seem totally reasonable to me.

DECORATING YOUR STATEROOM DOOR AND STATEROOM

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

• Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings
  • You may use magnets or Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door
  • No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies
  • No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite
  • No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Stateroom decorations purchased via our Fun Shops online are made of fire retardant materials. For more information, please visit www.carnival.com/funshops if you are interested in making a purchase.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

2 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Beat me to it. My door decorations have saved me from trying to enter the wrong room more than once. (Seriously, I've knocked on the right door, wrong deck before. Luckily no one was home. I finally figured it out) 😉

I wanna cruise with THIS guy 😆🤣😜

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

Read the actual Princess policy that @BlerkOne provided the link too (i copied and pasted them below), no where does it say you cannot have ANY decorations but gives you the policy guidelines of the door decorations that Princess deems as acceptable.

And after i for one have read them they seem totally reasonable to me.

DECORATING YOUR STATEROOM DOOR AND STATEROOM

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

• Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable
  • Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings
  • You may use magnets or Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue.
  • Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door
  • No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies
  • No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite
  • No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Stateroom decorations purchased via our Fun Shops online are made of fire retardant materials. For more information, please visit www.carnival.com/funshops if you are interested in making a purchase.

These rules would rule out most the ones I have seen Paper everywhere and definitely flammable 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

Please indulge us by explaining how ANY decoration applied to a metal (i assume since magnets stick to them?) would be the cause or an accelerant for a fire?

A flat magnetic sign that stays flush on the door is likely not a big fire hazard. But as has been pointed out, what has happened is that some people have taken this way further then a simple sign just on the door. I have seen cloth banners, metallic fringe (like you see at a party store), large cutouts, balloons, full door covers, items taped around the edges of the door, etc. All of those things - besides being over the top, could likely be considered fire hazards.

I have also seen questionable content, like the advertising I mentioned in an earlier post, and also things that were borderline inappropriate.

So, the fire hazard reasoning may just be a means of explanation that Princess can use to stop a practice that seems to have gotten out of hand, sadly, ruining a fun practice for those like yourself who are just posting a reasonable sign.

I'm sure it is easier for Princess to just implement a straight across the board policy that nothing is allowed, then to try to manage it in some discretionary way and put the poor room stewards in the unfortunate position of having to police the situation and be the bad guy!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, karatemom2 said:

A flat magnetic sign that stays flush on the door is likely not a big fire hazard. But as has been pointed out, what has happened is that some people have taken this way further then a simple sign just on the door. I have seen cloth banners, metallic fringe (like you see at a party store), large cutouts, balloons, full door covers, items taped around the edges of the door, etc. All of those things - besides being over the top, could likely be considered fire hazards.

I have also seen questionable content, like the advertising I mentioned in an earlier post, and also things that were borderline inappropriate.

So, the fire hazard reasoning may just be a means of explanation that Princess can use to stop a practice that seems to have gotten out of hand, sadly, ruining a fun practice for those like yourself who are just posting a reasonable sign.

I'm sure it is easier for Princess to just implement a straight across the board policy that nothing is allowed, then to try to manage it in some discretionary way and put the poor room stewards in the unfortunate position of having to police the situation and be the bad guy!

As I replied when I pasted the Princess rules that, by using common sense, the decorations that you mention would all be included in the category as violating the Princess Guidelines.

However, not ALL decorations will violate said guidelines so to make an overarching, overreaching statement, whether directly or insinuating, that all decorations are a fire hazard is patently false.

I ordered a bunch of personalized magnets to celebrate my best buddies big birthday last summer when we cruised on the Regal.  All were in good taste and she put a couple on the door and the rest on the walls inside.  We also got silly ones that say "Beware: This Cabin Bought the Drink Package".  None of us really drinks to excess, we just thought it was funny.  I've seen a lot of cute magnets on doors and it would be sad not to see those any longer.  Even Oceania allowed door decorations although it didn't seem that there were as many up as we've seen on Princess.

• Like 4