Scotch drinker and Princess Premier vs Plus

mistyPA

We will be sailing Enchanted in April and my dad and uncle are scotch drinkers. They enjoy Chivas 18 yo and Johnnie Walker Gold and Blue. Wondering if anyone knows if the better scotches are available at most bars or only certain ones? Willing to upgrade but want to make sure that they can get it in most bars.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, voljeep said:

they will pay an overage plus 18% for the gold and blue when they can find it.

Oh, I thought it was included in the Premier?

10 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

someone posted a drink menu and blue was listed at around $30 for a shot - Premier covers up to $20 - so a surcharge of $10 + 18% ($1.80) = $11.80

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

There are several “super” premium liquors and I know the blue is definitely over the limit. Best to do is ask at a bar which brands fit under your plan

I have been studying the bar menu with intent. The Walker gold label reserve and Chivas 18 year are covered in the premier package, though I’m not sure which bars on the ship will actually have it.

I’m sure it should be simple to become acquainted with those locations once you are onboard. And if not… there is always OceanNow delivery.

As mentioned upthread, blue label is $30, you can get it but as with any drink above $20 you will have to pay the difference. 

40 minutes ago, mrrom92 said:

I have been studying the bar menu with intent. The Walker gold label reserve and Chivas 18 year are covered in the premier package, though I’m not sure which bars on the ship will actually have it.

I’m sure it should be simple to become acquainted with those locations once you are onboard. And if not… there is always OceanNow delivery.

As mentioned upthread, blue label is $30, you can get it but as with any drink above $20 you will have to pay the difference. 

Thanks for clarification!

5 hours ago, mistyPA said:

We will be sailing Enchanted in April and my dad and uncle are scotch drinkers. They enjoy Chivas 18 yo and Johnnie Walker Gold and Blue. Wondering if anyone knows if the better scotches are available at most bars or only certain ones? Willing to upgrade but want to make sure that they can get it in most bars.

What do you mean by 'scotch'....if you are thinking of single malt whisky, neither Chivas 18 yo or JW are such!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
Posted (edited)

Do Princess stock any single malts at all? If so, anyone know which ones?

Edit: Just seen the list above (thanks). A few then but nothing inspiring 😞 

Edited by Snaxmuppet

2 hours ago, ArizonaStorm said:

About half-way down this list are scotch choices on Princess cruises in November 2023.  This doesn't preclude other brands.  If nothing else, it gives a sense of pricing.

https://www.cruisemummy.co.uk/princess-cruises-drinks-menus/

50 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Do Princess stock any single malts at all? If so, anyone know which ones?

Edit: Just seen the list above (thanks). A few then but nothing inspiring 😞 

This is a menu showing what is available to order on OceanNow. It may not show some single malts that are only available at a few bars. I usually check several different bars on the first day onboard to see what they have. I then taste any single malts that I'm not familiar with to see which one I like best. I generally start with the most expensive one under $20 or under $15 depending on which package I have on that cruise and then work my way down. Quite often, the one I decide on as my favorite is not the most expensive.

I know this technique requires trying several of them to make a decision. It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hamrag said:

What do you mean by 'scotch'....if you are thinking of single malt whisky, neither Chivas 18 yo or JW are such!

Well let's see, I am not a "Scotch" drinker, perhaps I use the term loosely. I thought I was clear my dad and uncle enjoy Chivas 18 yo or Johnnie Walker - if that means something other than Scotch I have no idea. I may not be sophisticated enough to know the difference and certainly don't care to be. I simply wanted to know where they could get Chivas 18 yo or JW. Seems simple enough to me. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, mistyPA said:

Well let's see, I am not a "Scotch" drinker, perhaps I use the term loosely. I thought I was clear my dad and uncle enjoy Chivas 18 yo or Johnnie Walker - if that means something other than Scotch I have no idea. I may not be sophisticated enough to know the difference and certainly don't care to be. I simply wanted to know where they could get Chivas 18 yo or JW. Seems simple enough to me. 

There is blended Scotch Whisky and there is Single Malt Scotch Whisky.  The name basically explains the difference. Some connoisseurs prefer the single malt, although Johnnie Walker Blue is blended, and liked by most.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Mark_K said:

There is blended Scotch Whisky and there is Single Malt Scotch Whisky.  The name basically explains the difference. Some connoisseurs prefer the single malt, although Johnnie Walker Blue is blended, and liked by most.

Thanks for your explanation!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Thanks for this, but now I’ve got questions:

The cocktails simply list “alcohol” as the ingredient. Are more details provided if one clicks on a drink?

Does ON allow you to >favorite< a choice with all the tweaks, so you don’t have to do a rigmarole every order?

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

I do wish that Princess would stock Laphroaig and Isle of Jura.  Both are heavily peated and smoked scotch Whiskey.  

On the Grand I did find they did had Laphroaig though only a single bottle tucked away in the Explorer's Bar. There were a couple of other whisky's to be had that were not on Ocean so checking out the bars is your best option but if you are looking for peated don't hold your breath....

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I also would like to see Laphroaig or other Islay whiskeys. We love smoked whiskeys… I hope we will find any on our upcoming cruise on the Caribbean Princess. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, pepbcn28 said:

I also would like to see Laphroaig or other Islay whiskeys. We love smoked whiskeys… I hope we will find any on our upcoming cruise on the Caribbean Princess. 

Love the smokies too. Very limited choice on our last few cruises. Also only available in a couple of bars. We have to scout out what bars have any and visit those bars to pick up a drink. A good bartender will also know what bar has a supply too. On our last cruise the only Islays available were Tallisker and Glenn Deveron (my spelling may be off).  Dalwhinnie  has been avalanche on some, but not our December cruise. Haven't seen Laphroaig or Langlavulin (again spelling) post covid. The pickings are really limited for the plated scotches IMHO.

Edited by cjpj
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cjpj said:

Love the smokies too. Very limited choice on our last few cruises. Also only available in a couple of bars. We have to scout out what bars have any and visit those bars to pick up a drink. A good bartender will also know what bar has a supply too. On our last cruise the only Islays available were Tallisker and Glenn Deveron (my spelling may be off).  Dalwhinnie  has been avalanche on some, but not our December cruise. Haven't seen Laphroaig or Langlavulin (again spelling) post covid. The pickings are really limited for the plated scotches IMHO.

A gentlemen from Scotland got me hooked on Laphroaig on an Azamara Cruise several years ago. 

On 3/9/2024 at 6:25 PM, Mark_K said:

Not to mention that JW blends are actually blends of single-malts - Blue being their finest selections of rare malts - one in 10,000 casks are chosen according to the JW site. Even the JW Black, a very affordable quaff, is a blend of 12 yo malts. 

I like both and find a good blend, like a Chivas 18 or a JW Black and up, more interesting than some of the single-malts I've had. Cheers!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, loge23 said:

Not to mention that JW blends are actually blends of single-malts - Blue being their finest selections of rare malts - one in 10,000 casks are chosen according to the JW site. Even the JW Black, a very affordable quaff, is a blend of 12 yo malts. 

I like both and find a good blend, like a Chivas 18 or a JW Black and up, more interesting than some of the single-malts I've had. Cheers!

We just came back from the Enchanted, my dad and uncle enjoyed double Chivas 18 ($38 each) several times as well as another I can't recall. The premier package was well worth it if you want to try a variety of the higher end Scotches. 

Edited by mistyPA
  • Like 1