Can Princess Impress?

Oakman58

I must be nuts because I’ve decided to give Princess another try.  I did a 16 day Hawaiian Cruise roundtrip out of San Diego in January 2023.  This was our 17th cruise but our first with Princess. There were so many things go wrong and the ship was short staffed. My wife and I, and my sister and her husband swore we would never cruise Princess again.

We did that cruise on the Diamond Princess when she was last Princess ship to restart after Covid.  She had only been back in service for two months when we did that cruise.  So I’m thinking that perhaps we didn’t give Princess a fair chance to impress us.

I found a good price for a balcony cabin on Discovery Princes to the Mexican Riviera next January so I booked it. Hopefully this will be a much better cruise and I will understand why Princess has so many loyal customers.

14 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I must be nuts because I’ve decided to give Princess another try.  I did a 16 day Hawaiian Cruise roundtrip out of San Diego in January 2023.  This was our 17th cruise but our first with Princess. There were so many things go wrong and the ship was short staffed. My wife and I, and my sister and her husband swore we would never cruise Princess again.

We did that cruise on the Diamond Princess when she was last Princess ship to restart after Covid.  She had only been back in service for two months when we did that cruise.  So I’m thinking that perhaps we didn’t give Princess a fair chance to impress us.

I found a good price for a balcony cabin on Discovery Princes to the Mexican Riviera next January so I booked it. Hopefully this will be a much better cruise and I will understand why Princess has so many loyal customers.

I have to say, we cruise along all different lines but mostly on Princess, especially after the restart from CoVid.  We sailed on the Diamond Princess for the first time in January 2023.  We didn’t like it at all!  The cruise was fun, she had some of the best entertainment ever and very decent food but just didn’t like the ship and the service, except for a rare exception, was poor.  Fast forward to many cruises on the Discovery since then … absolutely, positively fabulous!  She’s one of my favorite ships across any fleet.  Hope you have similar experiences as we did on this most wonderful ship!  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I have to say, we cruise along all different lines but mostly on Princess, especially after the restart from CoVid.  We sailed on the Diamond Princess for the first time in January 2023.  We didn’t like it at all!  The cruise was fun, she had some of the best entertainment ever and very decent food but just didn’t like the ship and the service, except for a rare exception, was poor.  Fast forward to many cruises on the Discovery since then … absolutely, positively fabulous!  She’s one of my favorite ships across any fleet.  Hope you have similar experiences as we did on this most wonderful ship!  

The Discovery has Take 5 one of my favorite ship bars but the atrium area is super loud. 

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

The Discovery has Take 5 one of my favorite ship bars but the atrium area is super loud. 

I know some can’t stand that but it doesn’t bother me one bit.  I like the hoopla that comes with the noise 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I know some can’t stand that but it doesn’t bother me one bit.  I like the hoopla that comes with the noise 

We once again agree!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We actually had to text at the Sushi bar to communicate while a kids carnival took up the entire atrium 

12 minutes ago, memoak said:

We actually had to text at the Sushi bar to communicate while a kids carnival took up the entire atrium 

You know, we’ve just never experienced that!  We love the commotion and since it is scheduled, those that don’t like it don’t have to attend.  And when it is time for quiet, we’ve always been able to find a nice corner for that.  

• Like 3

I *still* maintain that our favorite ship was the Pacific Princess....

We have sailed on the Sky 3 times now. Noise in the Piazza is generally quite loud and it really impacts the ambiance at The Catch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I *still* maintain that our favorite ship was the Pacific Princess....

We have sailed on the Sky 3 times now. Noise in the Piazza is generally quite loud and it really impacts the ambiance at The Catch.

That is why most of our cruises is on Grand class ships. Our next few are on Ruby, Grand, Coral, Grand and then late 2025 Majestic only because we love the itinerary 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

Princess does not impress. They make you feel “at home”. Nothing about the Princess brand is impressive. But it’s comfortable. If that’s what you want then you will enjoy. We do when we understand the expectation.

This is a great way to explain why many of us continue to sail. 

@Oakman58 I hope you enjoy your next Princess sailing. 

• Like 3

The Discovery is a beautiful ship! I certainly like it and the Enchanted the best.

Not impressed at all with the SUN. It has been a real let down for me- just going by reports of the Sanctuary, narrower cabins, smaller balconies etc.

Discovery felt like home to me.

After sailing with HAL for 13 years and 23 cruises we tried the Ruby last fall and the Emerald a month ago.

We found the Princess experience much to our delight.

HAL's entertainment has deteriorated to the point where tv shows from the BBC are projected on the wall in the main stage venue. These shows are available on your tv in your stateroom.

So far the presentations on our last two cruises include production shows worth watching, a tribute singer (Lionel Richie), fabulous multy person magic show and other stand up singers have caused us to book the Sapphire next fall and Majestic next spring. We won't be going back to HAL.

16 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Yes Discovery was our coming back cruise to princess after Covid.

Loved the Discovery and was impressed. Cruise in may on Majestic so I hope it's not a disappointment!

I think there’s a kernel of truth in all cliches. In this case it’s, “you only get one chance to make a first impression”. Never giving anything that you didn’t like much the first time a second chance can really limit your options.

As much as you weren’t impressed with your experience, I think trying another Princess cruise is worth it, especially since you got a great deal on an itinerary that interests you.

14 hours ago, memoak said:

That is why most of our cruises is on Grand class ships. Our next few are on Ruby, Grand, Coral, Grand and then late 2025 Majestic only because we love the itinerary 

We don’t totally dislike the bells and whistles of the Royal class ships - my DH is a bigger fan than I am.  But when I walk into a Grand class ship I feel like I have come home to a classic and familiar friend. The style, elegance, and traditional cruise vibe just makes me happy!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Yes Discovery was our coming back cruise to princess after Covid.

Loved the Discovery and was impressed. Cruise in may on Majestic so I hope it's not a disappointment!

I would have to say, of all the ships we’ve been on, the Majestic is my absolute favorite.  I do love the Discovery but there are just things about the Majestic that just absolutely wow me!  The Hollywood Club (if that is what they call), is similar to the Sanctuary but without a charge.  Then, there is the Noodle Bar where you would normally find the outdoor pizza station out by the pool.  Not to worry, there is also GiGis pizza sit down inside.  
Plus, they have an additional specialty restaurant, Harmony, which not everyone loves, but I do.  They also have the Catch by Rudi, which is absolutely spectacular.  I am trying to think if they have Sabatini’s .. I’m going to say no but if I’m wrong, someone will jump in to correct me.  

They do have a Vines but no Crooners but there is piano and other wonderful entertainment outside the Crown Grill.  
She really is a spectacular ship!  I hope you love her as much as I do.  

Posted (edited)

We loved Discovery when we cruised on that same itinerary last year. It's definitely big though, so plan to get to stuff earlier than you normally would.

I agree that sound from the Piazza carries, and the way the restaurants are grouped around it make them noisy too (never book the Salty Dog when a band is playing!). Haven't been to the two restaurants opened since we sailed, but Sur La Mer was the best meal we had onboard, so I really hope that Catch (its replacement) can live up to that.

The way Princess Live is configured, and that whole area from the PL bar past the Crown Grill lounge to the Vista Lounge really works for me (then again, I like lounges).

Edited by TheMichael

26 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I would have to say, of all the ships we’ve been on, the Majestic is my absolute favorite.  I do love the Discovery but there are just things about the Majestic that just absolutely wow me!  The Hollywood Club (if that is what they call), is similar to the Sanctuary but without a charge.  Then, there is the Noodle Bar where you would normally find the outdoor pizza station out by the pool.  Not to worry, there is also GiGis pizza sit down inside.  
Plus, they have an additional specialty restaurant, Harmony, which not everyone loves, but I do.  They also have the Catch by Rudi, which is absolutely spectacular.  I am trying to think if they have Sabatini’s .. I’m going to say no but if I’m wrong, someone will jump in to correct me.  

They do have a Vines but no Crooners but there is piano and other wonderful entertainment outside the Crown Grill.  
She really is a spectacular ship!  I hope you love her as much as I do.  

There is no Sabatini’s since the space is currently used for Harmony although there have been rumors that it will change sometime down the line. Depending on the cruise and weather it sometimes seems too cold for the noodle bar

• Like 1

1 minute ago, memoak said:

There is no Sabatini’s since the space is currently used for Harmony although there have been rumors that it will change sometime down the line. Depending on the cruise and weather it sometimes seems too cold for the noodle bar

That is where we differ!  Never too cold for the Noodle Bar!  I love a nice bowl of noodle soup, whether it is warm or frozen over!  
but yea, I’ve heard Harmony might not survive but I do love that place .. not quite as much as the Catch by Rudi, though so, I may not be helpful in keeping it afloat! 

On 3/13/2024 at 1:58 PM, memoak said:

I agree, I love Take 5.  First off, I'm inclined toward jazz in terms of instrumental music, but the space is just beautiful.  Has a lot of natural light during the day, a great bar.  When we were on the Discovery last July the Platinum, Elite, Suite nightly lounge was hosted there and it was a great way to get a snack and beverage before a later dinner.  The sausage roll they had most nights was spectacular.  I could have made a meal out of them.  Great live music later in the evening too.

That said, the Discovery is a beautiful ship.  In general, Princess does put their A teams on their newer vessels.  Wouldn't you, if you were running a cruise line?  Sure, you want a consistent experience, but human variability is always in play.

A theme amongst the fans here is that Princess doesn't impress... it is comfortable.  There is glitz and glamor in some places, the Piazza is basically that space, but generally speaking once we have settled into our cabin, it feels like home.

@Oakman58, I see a lot of references to sailing Norwegian in your signature.  It is difficult to compare the two lines.  While I suspect that you'll have an excellent cruise on the Discovery, especially since the ship is new, I can't help but wonder if you are hoping for the Norwegian vibe.  I know that your experience on the Diamond wasn't good, and as you state, it was just post CVD and the ship was in a restart mode.  I think the Discovery will give you a much better experience and be more indicative of the current state of Princess as a line.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeromep said:

I agree, I love Take 5.  First off, I'm inclined toward jazz in terms of instrumental music, but the space is just beautiful.  Has a lot of natural light during the day, a great bar.  When we were on the Discovery last July the Platinum, Elite, Suite nightly lounge was hosted there and it was a great way to get a snack and beverage before a later dinner.  The sausage roll they had most nights was spectacular.  I could have made a meal out of them.  Great live music later in the evening too.

That said, the Discovery is a beautiful ship.  In general, Princess does put their A teams on their newer vessels.  Wouldn't you, if you were running a cruise line?  Sure, you want a consistent experience, but human variability is always in play.

A theme amongst the fans here is that Princess doesn't impress... it is comfortable.  There is glitz and glamor in some places, the Piazza is basically that space, but generally speaking once we have settled into our cabin, it feels like home.

@Oakman58, I see a lot of references to sailing Norwegian in your signature.  It is difficult to compare the two lines.  While I suspect that you'll have an excellent cruise on the Discovery, especially since the ship is new, I can't help but wonder if you are hoping for the Norwegian vibe.  I know that your experience on the Diamond wasn't good, and as you state, it was just post CVD and the ship was in a restart mode.  I think the Discovery will give you a much better experience and be more indicative of the current state of Princess as a line.

The piazza is the glitz venue but with the height, the loud music and all the open food and drink areas around it just make it deafening. I will take the smaller ships we only sail this class if there is an itinerary we really want

• Like 1