Traveling with friends in different class rooms?

I'm afraid we might be in the same boat.  DH and I are booked on the Joy in an H5 for Alaska next year.  And now my parents are probably joining (which I am excited for!). I can't imagine a world where they would spend the money for the Haven (although  Mom was treated to the Haven last October on the Joy, by yours truly and she loved every minute!).  The same as, I can't ever think of asking DH to give up his beloved Haven (after 6 or 7 trips in the Haven, it's hard to go back) just for my parents.  I don't want either my husband or my parents  to have less of an experience for any of our first (and most likely my parents only) trip to Alaska!

If only I could win Mega Millions and just treat them....A girl can dream!

10 minutes ago, nhtravels said:

I don't want either my husband or my parents  to have less of an experience for any of our first (and most likely my parents only) trip to Alaska!

You seem to be in a completely illogical, megadiscombobulated quandry. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

With a suite on the Joy, you will be able to have breakfast and lunch in Cagney's...your son and his girlfriend will not be able to join you there. 

On all the other ships, yes that is true, but not on the Joy. They removed those perks ONLY on the Joy. Don't ask me why but they did. When I first booked it I watched a travel agents promo for this suite on YouTube and it included many perks....then I Iearn here on Cruise Critic that they took most of them away about a year ago or so. Boo! 

Edited by uneamie
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, vacation44 said:

NCL took away the majority of the Joy suite (non Haven) amenities in late 2021.  These included breakfast and lunch in Cagney's.   

Thanks for the correction. Viva suites (non Haven) still get the breakfast and lunch in Cagney's...I wonder why they don't on the Joy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nhtravels said:

I'm afraid we might be in the same boat.  DH and I are booked on the Joy in an H5 for Alaska next year.  And now my parents are probably joining (which I am excited for!). I can't imagine a world where they would spend the money for the Haven (although  Mom was treated to the Haven last October on the Joy, by yours truly and she loved every minute!).  The same as, I can't ever think of asking DH to give up his beloved Haven (after 6 or 7 trips in the Haven, it's hard to go back) just for my parents.  I don't want either my husband or my parents  to have less of an experience for any of our first (and most likely my parents only) trip to Alaska!

Good grief.  And on so many levels.  You can't "go back" just for your parents?  Yikes!!!!  You're torn between your desire for your husband and parents to not have "less of an experience?"  It's freakin' AK!  Just drop all this crap, book some cabins and have an amazing cruise.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, nhtravels said:

Hahaha my husband and I were just talking about this too! How we would consider taking everyone on a Haven cruise if we win the Mega Millions. Basically, he and I would get a DOS, my grandma (and whoever wanted to share with her) would get a Haven courtyard room, and then everyone else would just have to go slum it in a balcony room. Being on the same cruise, at the same time, is probably as close to most of our family as we want to be. We'd certainly not be sharing a room and we'd also get the thermal suite/Vibe so we could escape even those in the Haven. Terrible people, we are, but hey we'd pay for everything for them! Not like any of them could afford a cruise, otherwise. 

So....if I were you, I'd ask the parents to pony up the cash for a balcony room on your cruise, then supplement it to get them to Haven...in their own room. It is definitely a quandary that you have. I float (get it, hehehehehehe, I'm so funny) non-Haven cruises by my dear ole husband too. He scoffs and I'm back to just looking at Haven. 

Whatever you do though, I bet you'll have a nice vacation in Alaska! 

• Like 1

Can we all get back to talking about hash browns, again?

There is no right or wrong answer to this first world problem.  I can't believe this is even a thread, let alone one with multiple pages.

To me, it's simple.  Either everyone get a Haven cabin and meet there.  Or, everyone get whatever cabin they want, and meet in the wealth of meeting places on board.  It's not like these ships are small.  Plenty of places to meet and dine together.

Excuse me while I go get a chocolate chip cookie.

PS...is it me?  Or are the threads getting sillier and sillier?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Can we all get back to talking about hash browns, again?

There is no right or wrong answer to this first world problem.  I can't believe this is even a thread, let alone one with multiple pages.

To me, it's simple.  Either everyone get a Haven cabin and meet there.  Or, everyone get whatever cabin they want, and meet in the wealth of meeting places on board.  It's not like these ships are small.  Plenty of places to meet and dine together.

Excuse me while I go get a chocolate chip cookie.

To your PS, they're not any sillier than when I entered these vaunted interweb halls a couple years ago. I think some just get jaded because they see similar topics brought up over and over. I know sometimes this happens to me, so I take a breath, back away from the topic, and move on, because I certainly shouldn't get annoyed by a Cruise Critic post. Now that's just silly! 

This thread brought a smile to my face as I recalled the conversation from last night, so it has made me joyful on this cloudy Wednesday morning...especially since I don't think I won the jackpot.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This thread brought a smile to my face as I recalled the conversation from last night, so it has made me joyful on this cloudy Wednesday morning...especially since I don't think I won the jackpot.

If you did, you need to pinky swear that you'll treat your CC buddies to Haven suites (or at least Club balconies) on an upcoming cruise.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

To your PS, they're not any sillier than when I entered these vaunted interweb halls a couple years ago. I think some just get jaded because they see similar topics brought up over and over. I know sometimes this happens to me, so I take a breath, back away from the topic, and move on, because I certainly shouldn't get annoyed by a Cruise Critic post. Now that's just silly! 

OK....respect your point of view.  

We don't know this poster's family or friends.  We can't make financial decisions for them.  We don't know if they're all a bunch of narcissists or the Brady Bunch.  

It just struck me as quite odd that someone would try to ask for our opinion, a group of relative strangers, about something that only they, as a family or group of friends, can answer.

Then again, as pointed out, some of these threads make me shake my head, more often than not.  It seems there are quite a few here that I shake my head wondering....."why ask us....what makes you think we'd know?"

It seems recent, but just read last night someone was asking us if Baltimore, given the recent tragedy,  would have NCL ships dock there again? 

I saw a post a while ago where someone was irritated they weren't going to dock in Haiti.  Seriously?

I love this group of CC posters for the most part.  I really do.  I've made some wonderful friends here...many I've sailed with.  

But, holy cow!  None of us are Carnack the Magnificent.  We can't make friend or family decisions for you.  There is no crystal ball to see the future of any cruise sailing from a place hit with catastrophe.

Lord do I need some dark roast.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If you did, you need to pinky swear that you'll treat your CC buddies to Haven suites (or at least Club balconies) on an upcoming cruise.

Hahaha...if I won a billion (ok, what's that after taxes, $20?)...I'd consider it. A one and done! Not saying I will, so that someone can't sue me later on for promising. This post is in no way a promise. And, I get to choose who my CC buddies are. @schmoopie17, you'll make the cut! I think we'll bring a platter of cookies and hash browns (sealed, of course) to the executive chef as a gift at the meet and greet. 

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

OK....respect your point of view.  

We don't know this poster's family or friends.  We can't make financial decisions for them.  We don't know if they're all a bunch of narcissists or the Brady Bunch.  

It just struck me as quite odd that someone would try to ask for our opinion, a group of relative strangers, about something that only they, as a family or group of friends, can answer.

Then again, as pointed out, some of these threads make me shake my head, more often than not.

Oh, I'll agree we don't know the poster's back story. I just don't mind dreaming with them or giving them my experience/advice. Too much info is surely a bad thing, but having some info is good. I enjoy it. I do hope they don't listen just to what I say and make a decision based on that. They'll have a whole 41 years of mischief to clean up if they do! 

Like you, I totally smack my dang head at some of these threads too! That's when I have to ask myself if I'm really getting perturbed at an online post. Then I just smile at myself. 🙂

Help me win the Mega! I'll invite you too. All the Buffalo Trace you can handle! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My wife and I have gone back and forth on this over the years as we always seem to cruise with a group. The group changes from sailing to sailing, but there's always at least 10 and has been as many as 29. And there's always children in the group.

2 years ago I wanted to book a Haven cabin, but not everyone was capable of doing that, so my wife nixed it.

Last year I really wanted Vibe passes, but we had young children in our group (grand nieces), so my wife nixed it. Lol!! I almost got a pass just for myself, but then my wife would have nixed me!!!

I think it makes the most sense to stay in the same class of accommodations and amenities as your group.

I've "had" to do it many times and still have so much fun!

In 23 days my wife, daughter and I are sailing Getaway.

And while there is a group joining us, we (my wife) don't feel it necessary to be with them as much so, finally, we'll get our taste of Vibe!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bkrickles1 said:

My wife and I have gone back and forth on this over the years as we always seem to cruise with a group. The group changes from sailing to sailing, but there's always at least 10 and has been as many as 29. And there's always children in the group.

2 years ago I wanted to book a Haven cabin, but not everyone was capable of doing that, so my wife nixed it.

Last year I really wanted Vibe passes, but we had young children in our group (grand nieces), so my wife nixed it. Lol!! I almost got a pass just for myself, but then my wife would have nixed me!!!

I think it makes the most sense to stay in the same class of accommodations and amenities as your group.

I've "had" to do it many times and still have so much fun!

In 23 days my wife, daughter and I are sailing Getaway.

And while there is a group joining us, we (my wife) don't feel it necessary to be with them as much so, finally, we'll get our taste of Vibe!

See how simple it is?  Thank you!

Sharing our experience with this scenario (like you need more - lol) We experienced this situation twice – where we had booked Haven accommodations but our companions had not. We opted for the "Haven" rooms located outside the Haven area. During our time aboard the Escape, we booked a Haven aft cabin, and on the Gem, we booked the Haven Owner's suite. On both occasions, our cabin became a central hub for our group, with our non-Haven companions easily able to join us by simply knocking on our door. Our cabins served as home base, with the balconies proving to be popular gathering spots. Looking back, although we didn't fully utilize many of the exclusive Haven amenities onboard, we found great value in the spacious accommodations and the opportunity to host our friends and family, plus we could escape to the Haven when we needed a break.

We wouldn't hesitate to book the Haven outside of the Haven area again. Perhaps this option could work for you as well.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 10:52 AM, hgrant said:

Too much overthinking.... My wife and I have done the Haven twice while friends had balcony cabins. It was no big deal, we are doing it again on the Gem in June. Not an apples to apples comparison since we are in a forward suite and not the "Haven" 

You see this type of thread posted quite often and always from the "we want to spend time together" angle. However, it often appears that the poster really just wants to spend time together IN THE HAVEN. 

Makes me wonder if the real angle is "how can I get Haven benefits for someone who hasn't paid for them".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, graphicguy said:

I say amusing and more amusing. I guess it depends on how you approach them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Either get everyone all in Haven suites or everyone in non-Haven suites.  

Are you assuming that those other two couples want to spend 24/7 with the OP?  Perhaps they would enjoy the space that the Haven moat provides.  "Y'all just enjoy that castle.  Feel free to come visit us peasants in the countryside if you get a chance."  Or not....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Are you assuming that those other two couples want to spend 24/7 with the OP?  Perhaps they would enjoy the space that the Haven moat provides.  "Y'all just enjoy that castle.  Feel free to come visit us peasants in the countryside if you get a chance."  Or not....

I’m just saying there is no “conflict” that way. Everybody can go to the Haven together with no bending of rules, or they can’t at all.

Now if…I…was planning this trip, I personally would not care. There is plenty of time to see the others at restaurants, go on excursions together, etc.

7 hours ago, Capitan Obvious said:

Makes me wonder if the real angle is "how can I get Haven benefits for someone who hasn't paid for them".

That was the vibe I got. If a party of say 12 total books one of the cheapest Haven cabins, and then 5 inside cabins, should you really be hanging out in the Haven with the whole clan smuggled in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

That was the vibe I got. If a party of say 12 total books one of the cheapest Haven cabins, and then 5 inside cabins, should you really be hanging out in the Haven with the whole clan smuggled in?

As I understand it, there would just be six cabins worth of folks crammed into a single (look what I have!) fancy Haven cabin pretending that this is how you enjoy a cruise.  Not me.  You'll find me at the bar enjoying steerage music with steerage drinkers.  No need to tip the butler!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

So....if I were you, I'd ask the parents to pony up the cash for a balcony room on your cruise, then supplement it to get them to Haven...in their own room. It is definitely a quandary that you have. I float (get it, hehehehehehe, I'm so funny) non-Haven cruises by my dear ole husband too. He scoffs and I'm back to just looking at Haven. 

Whatever you do though, I bet you'll have a nice vacation in Alaska! 

Thank you @cruiseny4life.  We will have a great trip, regardless of where my parents decide to book their accommodations.  Just being fortunate enough to experience Alaska together is a dream come true.

I felt a little foolish this morning reading CC. I have a brain injury and don't always realize how my words come out and in re-reading my post I realize that it may have made us sound entitled in a way that was not intended.  I truly apologize for anyone who may have taken offense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nhtravels said:

Thank you @cruiseny4life.  We will have a great trip, regardless of where my parents decide to book their accommodations.  Just being fortunate enough to experience Alaska together is a dream come true.

I felt a little foolish this morning reading CC. I have a brain injury and don't always realize how my words come out and in re-reading my post I realize that it may have made us sound entitled in a way that was not intended.  I truly apologize for anyone who may have taken offense.

Once in a lifetime trip with your parents? No entitlement sensed here and I'm a happy member of an entitled cruisers group! 

Don't feel foolish - you're fine. Most of us answer questions (might scratch our bald heads a little) knowing the internet has a way of not conveying all the context a face to face conversation at the bar would have!

• Like 1