one-time internet use, onboard?

we're on Celebrity Reflection in April, but this question might apply to all lines...

We never get the internet package. What are the chances of getting Customer Service or whatever, on ship, to allow me a few minutes of "free' internet use just to check-in for my airline flight the day before cruise ends? I do usually hunt out the free internet locations in ports of call,but on this trip the day before is in Bimini, and I'm not too hopeful...unless someone has a tip for free internet in Bimini ....anyone? TIA.🤓

22 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

ahhh....unfortunately, not in a suite ....I think we're down close to the crew's bunks...lol

29 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

we're on Celebrity Reflection in April, but this question might apply to all lines...

We never get the internet package. What are the chances of getting Customer Service or whatever, on ship, to allow me a few minutes of "free' internet use just to check-in for my airline flight the day before cruise ends? I do usually hunt out the free internet locations in ports of call,but on this trip the day before is in Bimini, and I'm not too hopeful...unless someone has a tip for free internet in Bimini ....anyone? TIA.🤓

Some things cannot be gotten for free.  But a one time use has to be affordable for someone who can afford to cruise in the first place.

But- if you must save money, you can always check in at the airport kiosk as soon as you get to the airport —you just have to get there a minute or two earlier than you would have to if you had checked in the day before.

11 minutes ago, NotADopey1 said:

Have you checked the frequent Q & A page for the cruise line?  There are probably others who asked the same thing .

noo.....can you please provide a link to the frequent Q&A page, for Celebrity?

No sorry.  Just go to their main page and should be on the site.  If you booked through travel agent, they should know or at least be able to check the cruise line for you.  

If you happen to be in a port (or near coastline) that day, I would suggest trying to use a phone and cellular data to access Internet. But might be still wise to check what sort of international roaming charges your phone service plan carries.

4 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

For the future…

For about the same fare price (once you address desirable fare inclusions and options), you can do what thousands of former Celebrity cruisers have already figured out: There’s much more value to be had by moving up to a Premium cruise line (e.g., Oceania) where unlimited internet and other things like specialty restaurants, beverages, excursions and airfare or air credit are all included.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For the future…

For about the same fare price (once you address desirable fare inclusions and options), you can do what thousands of former Celebrity cruisers have already figured out: There’s much more value to be had by moving up to a Premium cruise line (e.g., Oceania) where unlimited internet and other things like specialty restaurants, beverages, excursions and airfare or air credit are all included.

Good advice, generally - but OP is a budget-minded individual on a short cruise - hardly likely to be interested in paying more than absolute minimum for a cruise — regardless of the quality offered.

In any event the answer is simple: check in for the flight upon arrival at the airport, a no brainer.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

For the future…

Good Idea!  Spend 3x's the fare but checking in for the flight will be free!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Good Idea!  Spend 3x's the fare but checking in for the flight will be free!  

“3x’s” a Celebrity fare? Do the real math.

Most truly savvy cruisers have figured out that cabin fare comparisons are the worst way to judge both the true bottom line cost of a cruise (door to door) as well as to determine the value of what you actually get for your money. 

Learn to do “net daily rate” comparisons on all sorts of travel providers and you may be very surprised at where true value lies.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

Two options if your persuasion skills are low (like mine):

• As @navybankerteacher said, 5g should be available soon after you arrive on disembarkation day, with free WiFi available at the airport.
  • Not free, but on my last Celebrity cruise, I was offered 1 hour of Premium Internet at $25 and 24 hours for $50.  An hour seems like plenty to just check in for a flight, but maybe you can find some use for the extra 23 hours.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

“3x’s” a Celebrity fare? Do the real math.

Most truly savvy cruisers have figured out that cabin fare comparisons are the worst way to judge both the true bottom line cost of a cruise (door to door) as well as to determine the value of what you actually get for your money. 

Learn to do “net daily rate” comparisons on all sorts of travel providers and you may be very surprised at where true value lies.

I understand you have some curious need to hawk your favorite cruise line at every possible opportunity.   Your claims are simply, to put it nicely, not applicable to most cruise passengers who enjoy mainstream lines.   

Southwest doesn't require 24 hour prior check-in, but you will be seated among the last passengers unless you do. If you are a higher tier member SWA will do automatic check-in. They also offer Early Bird check-in (automatic check-in) for a fee. 

If OP is on SWA, it might be worth it to pay the $15 -$25 to buy it. We were told by a SWA agent at the airport, that only one of us need buy Early Bird and that person can save a seat for the second passenger.

• Like 2

What is the advantage of jumping through hoops to checking in ahead of time.  You will still have to go to a kiosk at the airport to get your luggage tags.  Nobody has ever explained to me the advantage of early check in.

DON

39 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

What is the advantage of jumping through hoops to checking in ahead of time.  You will still have to go to a kiosk at the airport to get your luggage tags.  Nobody has ever explained to me the advantage of early check in.

DON

I take it you have not flown Southwest - if you are not among the early birds, you wind up in a middle seat.  If OP was flying Southwest his question might make sense - otherwise airport check in is fine.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

I understand you have some curious need to hawk your favorite cruise line at every possible opportunity.   Your claims are simply, to put it nicely, not applicable to most cruise passengers who enjoy mainstream lines.   

you “understand” incorrectly.

OP has a problem encountered with a single cruise line - Celebrity. I offered a long term solution that will help avoid that (and similar) problem(s) in the future.

After all, it is “net daily rate” calculation comparisons that often help cruisers find the better value they seek.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP has a problem encountered with a single cruise line - Celebrity. I offered a long term solution that will help avoid that (and similar) problem(s) in the future.

After all, it is “net daily rate” calculation comparisons that often help cruisers find the better value they seek.

You seem to forget (or ignore) the fact that the overwhelming majority of posters on these threads define “value” as “low cost”.  I agree with you completely when it comes to the value Oceania provides - I believe their fares are competitive WHEN IT COMES TO PURCHASING A QUALITY CRUISE, but are much higher than most CC posters are interested in paying.   I know that, for the sort of cruise experience I want, I can get a better deal on Oceania than on NCL - once I pay the add-ons to bring NCL up - to near the quality Oceania offers (and I would still be crowded in the middle of thousands, rather than hundreds, of others).

I cruise a lot less than I might due to my wanting a better experience - but then I cruise to get the experience I want - not just to pay the least amount to be on a ship.  Sort of like my choosing a superior light moselle rather than Thunderbird when I want a white wine.

In short: I suggest you give up continually singing the praises of Oceania in all sort of inappropriate contexts.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

You seem to forget (or ignore) the fact that the overwhelming majority of posters on these threads define “value” as “low cost”.  I agree with you completely when it comes to the value Oceania provides - I believe their fares are competitive WHEN IT COMES TO PURCHASING A QUALITY CRUISE, but are much higher than most CC posters are interested in paying.   I know that, for the sort of cruise experience I want, I can get a better deal on Oceania than on NCL - once I pay the add-ons to bring NCL up - to near the quality Oceania offers (and I would still be crowded in the middle of thousands, rather than hundreds, of others).

I cruise a lot less than I might due to my wanting a better experience - but then I cruise to get the experience I want - not just to pay the least amount to be on a ship.  Sort of like my choosing a superior light moselle rather than Thunderbird when I want a white wine.

In short: I suggest you give up continually singing the praises of Oceania in all sort of inappropriate contexts.

Perhaps you’ve missed those of my posts that criticize Oceania for certain things much in need of correction including the complexity of its promotional programs and poor efficacy of its destination services operations.

In any case, we can agree to disagree since I will not cease offering solutions and citation of any particular provider of those solutions. 
Happy Easter to you.

10 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Still don't understand that extra math step- just figure out the net cost for the cruise when adding in the things you would need to purchase on X line that Y line includes in the fare. But one must remember that this is only for the add ons one desires on the first line that are included in the second- if one doesn't need the drink package it doesn't matter if it is included in the fare on the second line. (This presupposes that the cruises in question are of the same length, of course. And it must also be kept in mind that even if a 10 day cruise is a better value when breaking down the daily fare if one only has 7 days for vacation it's rather moot.)