Digital Debarkation- have you experienced it yet? Details, please

Have been seeing comments about this and I believe John H posted something about it on Facebook, but I haven't seen a full explanation of the process. We cruise on Jubilee in about 5 weeks. Please enlighten us all if you have done this. Thanks!

This week on the Venezia, there was the "old-fashioned" debarkation program -- get your luggage tags from a kiosk and wait around for your group to be called.  No digital debarkation program.

The old-fashioned debarkation worked very well.  Facial recognition and streamlined Customs/Border Control worked very well.   I had a hired car picking us up at 10:00 a.m., so the only question was how to kill time.  We were in the Marco Polo Restaurant sitting (no food service) until 9:00 a.m., when we finally joined the line of passengers queued up to leave the ship.  We got in line at 9:00 and our porter was giving our baggage to the driver of the hired car at 9:30!

We were at JFK airport by 10:40, much too early for our flight home.

I don't see how digital debarkation could improve this experience.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

This week on the Venezia, there was the "old-fashioned" debarkation program -- get your luggage tags from a kiosk and wait around for your group to be called.  No digital debarkation program.

The old-fashioned debarkation worked very well.  Facial recognition and streamlined Customs/Border Control worked very well.   I had a hired car picking us up at 10:00 a.m., so the only question was how to kill time.  We were in the Marco Polo Restaurant sitting (no food service) until 9:00 a.m., when we finally joined the line of passengers queued up to leave the ship.  We got in line at 9:00 and our porter was giving our baggage to the driver of the hired car at 9:30!

less trees to kill for tags, I guess.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, kew1031 said:

Have been seeing comments about this and I believe John H posted something about it on Facebook, but I haven't seen a full explanation of the process. We cruise on Jubilee in about 5 weeks. Please enlighten us all if you have done this. Thanks!

It’s in my Jubliee and Spirit live threads from last month but this alert started coming up on jubilee so I selected a group. The groups are by estimated debarkation time. 

Since I’m platinum I always get priority tags but the thing kept popping up so I did it.

My tags were automatically delivered to the room. Then I also go my platinum tags with a lower number. 

Next time on Spirit I ignored these messages and only got one set of tags. My platinum tags. So If you are platinum or diamond just ignore it. You’ll still get your priority tags. If you aren’t…just make a selection in the app and your tags will be delivered to the room.

IMG_1546.thumb.jpeg.f7f734b57289a5202965bbbd07cfb949.jpeg

IMG_1547.thumb.jpeg.fa5ba2cf422f525af78271851c061dcc.jpeg

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 6

So far this year we have used Digital Debark on the Jubilee and the Liberty, and we chose checked bags on the Jubilee and Express (carry all our own bags) on the Liberty. The process worked fine. On day two of each cruise, I chose our option and debark time. My only complaint about the process was that luggage tags were not delivered until 7:30PM on the last night. I would like to have had them earlier. Some people have complained that they were out of checked luggage tags by the time they signed up for debarkation, so make your choice early in the cruise. 

• Thanks 1

We did this process in December on MG and used express to carry off ourselves.  Worked great for us and we were in our car and on the road from PC at around 7:10.  This was first time getting the messages on phone and using this option.  

• Like 2

We used this in October while they were testing it out and had a great experience.

All you need IS for people to follow instructions!

Pick a time and stick to it.

DON'T crowd the elevators!  

🙂

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BossyKat said:

We used this in October while they were testing it out and had a great experience.

🙂

🤣🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, BossyKat said:

🙂

Some Fun Squads do a better job than others of herding the cats. I will say that generally, in Charleston they were very good at this because of the silent debarkation.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

16 hours ago, hurricane0226 said:

less trees to kill for tags, I guess.

It's actually proven very successful, and is in fact helping to reduce crowds and wait times on debarkation day. It is rolled out fleetwide now. By all accounts, it is more convenient and efficient than the traditional method.

Available via the Carnival Hub app, Digital Debark enables passengers to schedule their debarkation time, reducing crowds and wait times on the final morning of the cruise. It also provides passengers with more control over when they choose to leave the ship.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-cruise-line-completes-roll-out-of-digital-debark/127194

Edited by bg2310
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bg2310 said:

It is rolled out fleetwide now. By all accounts, it is more convenient and efficient than the traditional method.

Never heard of it on the Venezia March 25 debarkation.  Tags still set out in kiosks in public areas for the passengers to take.

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Never heard of it on the Venezia March 25 debarkation.  Tags still set out in kiosks in public areas for the passengers to take.

It's just only been rolled out to the remaining ships in the past few days, per that article.

We had digital debarkation this week on Celebration, they said it was their first time using it. Basically, instead of picking up luggage tags at a kiosk, you select an available time through the app when you want to get off the ship and the tags are delivered to your cabin. We chose our debarkation time the second or third day of the cruise and the tags were delivered later that day. Incidentally, the notifications to select a time kept coming every day even after we had completed the process.

Then, on debarkation morning, the app notifies you when you can debark. The CD makes occasional announcements letting everyone know where they are in the process rather than calling for each group. 

• Like 1

Just did digital disembarkation on the Jubilee. Picked the latest time we could. Had breakfast in the dining room and then went to hang out waiting for our number to be called. Happened around 9:30 (we had 16). Once we went down to leave, we walked off, grabbed our bags, followed through the digital face recognition system for passport holders, and were on the street in less than 20 minutes. Very easy.

• Like 2

Do you 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:17 AM, Drazil65 said:

We did this process in December on MG and used express to carry off ourselves.  Worked great for us and we were in our car and on the road from PC at around 7:10.  This was first time getting the messages on phone and using this option.  

If you use express do you still pick a time slot and just don’t check your luggage for debark? Or is it a leave when you want type thing for express?

If you use express do you still pick a time slot and just don’t check your luggage for debark? Or is it a leave when you want type thing for express?

We choose the option on the hub when it popped up and the instructions gave us the time to be at the meeting venue.  I believe it was 7:00 am but we were there by 6:45 and the grp left the venue right after we arrived.  We were loading the car in the parking garage at 7:00 and on road heading to I-95 north by 7:10.  

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 11:15 AM, dctravel said:

Just did digital disembarkation on the Jubilee. Picked the latest time we could. Had breakfast in the dining room and then went to hang out waiting for our number to be called. Happened around 9:30 (we had 16). Once we went down to leave, we walked off, grabbed our bags, followed through the digital face recognition system for passport holders, and were on the street in less than 20 minutes. Very easy.

We got off the Jubilee on Feb 3rd after a B2B - It was the worst debark in recent memory.  Not so much due to the on board crew but the folks in the terminal were absolutely clueless and allowed a bad situation to get worse by the second.  They just stood back and let the whole situation "take a dirt road".  Just my opinion.

We are cruising September out of San Francisco and have booked Carnival transportation from the port to the airport. How do we know which time we should pick up for disembarkation please?

48 minutes ago, Elsa Maki said:

We are cruising September out of San Francisco and have booked Carnival transportation from the port to the airport. How do we know which time we should pick up for disembarkation please?

When we received our transportation "tickets" while on the cruise, there was a time indicated.  It was the same time we chose when we made the reservations.  We used that time to pick our debarkation time.  It all worked itself out nicely - even with the debacle we encountered in the terminal at Galveston.   

• Like 1