Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

The other urgent thing I need to do is replace the bios battery on my LapTop.   The main battery died last week and now the bios battery just went out.   These new laptops have to be dismantled to get into them

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just go to FB and search for @travel with Jim_Iain    Just click join.   

It is totally a private page and I'm not selling or advertising anything..... Just a repository of my YouTube posts.

Oops, after an unsuccessful search on just Jim_Iain I sent a friend request.  Now that I’ve found the group just ignore the request.  Most of my “friends” are Afghan Hound people I don’t really know…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

The other urgent thing I need to do is replace the bios battery on my LapTop.   The main battery died last week and now the bios battery just went out.   These new laptops have to be dismantled to get into them

I do not think I have ever had a BIOS battery fail me.  Laptop batteries I have had go bad, one on a MacBook swelled up so bad it bulged the case.  Apple replaced the battery but I had to pay the labor charge.   

You may want to consider replacing the laptop as a battery should not just go dead unless something is wrong with the charging system.  Then again, no idea how old yours may be. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ecslady said:

Oh My - Netscape!  Haven't heard that word in years. Thanks for reminding us of what used to be. 😃

Gee, I just put out a Teach Yourself Netscape set out for the trash a couple of days ago.  Any IT types remember those type of books popular before the web "was invented"? 😆

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Believe me I get as much joy out of hearing from my friends I've met on Cruise Critics through my postings.    While I have never met many of them face to face I really feel like they are family. 

And we feel the same family attachment to you - someone I'm never likely to meet. 😉  Gee, I must be off my lurk only meds.

Edited by dianedebuda
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's going to be a busy travel year.    I'll have to look but I think up next will be our first trip on Oceania.   Should be a fun comparison.   It will be  combination Alaska, California Coastal, Panama Canal, Caribbean and ending in NYC.    

very long overall itin.. Will the NYC connect to a Cunard crossing?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Thanks.  I get the stitches out tomorrow from my recent vein surgery.  Decided to wait and do the other leg until I get back from my cruise.  This getting old is not for sissies!

But at least we are on this side of the fairway!  Hope all goes well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not think I have ever had a BIOS battery fail me.  Laptop batteries I have had go bad, one on a MacBook swelled up so bad it bulged the case.  Apple replaced the battery but I had to pay the labor charge.   

You may want to consider replacing the laptop as a battery should not just go dead unless something is wrong with the charging system.  Then again, no idea how old yours may be. 

Yup

Sometimes it is better to get new, esp before a possible crisis!

We just replaced our Home Computer.. The data Transfer is Underway with the  GEEK squad. Our existing custom designed set up  was quite old. and not supported by any updates. Sadly no more CD roms will work on the new one..HP..but our  lap top in Fl still has one if needed.

I also updated my  Samsung Tablet..The old one was perfectly fine,  but my book reader program LIBBY needed  a newer version tablet. Can still use old tab for an extra.

It is traumatic to upgrade but then amazing to enjoy new tech!  Even for lo tech folks like me.

Counting down to the start of Jim's  blog..and amazing photos!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Provence55always said:

They were known to be a very contentious couple…..happily divorced now. Yes, Ballsbridge is a lovely part of south Dublin. My son and his wife rented an apartment there when they were 1st married so we know the area very well. 

I have to say she had a very colorful mouth with every other work the F Bomb..... It was a wonderful Carriage House overlooking Clyde Park.   With our 9 foot stone walls I felt like we were in the country looking over at the park from our upstairs sitting room. 

My financial controller recommended Ballsbridge -   "No one cars what you do in Ballsbridge unless you scare the horses"    Love Irish humor.

• Like 1

Whew!  Just made it through all the posts so far.

Jim--you guys are the only posters on CC who have 7 pages of posts BEFORE you even leave for the airport.  You'll likely be north of 12 pages before you set foot on the ship.  I think that says a lot about you and Iain--the quality of your posts and the friendliness with which you engage your fellow CCers.  While this trip isn't on the docket for me anytime soon, I'll still follow the thread closely and live vicariously through you two.

Can't wait to see the shirts you guys will be rocking this time!

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

When you in Kona, since you are overnight, you might want to travel to the top of Mona Kea.   It is the tallest mountain on the earth and there are a bunch of observatories up there.   You can drive or take a tour to the top, unforgettable views especially at sunset.   We went with a guide and were allowed into an observatory.    

We went up there last time in Kona.   We have rented a car in both Kona and Hilo and will try to find some hidden spots we've never been to before.    As you said it is an incredible day trip.   I've heard that sunrise is incredible but....not way I would get Iain out of bed to make the trek.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Surely you mean your first graphical browser.  I am sure you, like me, used Lynx before a graphical browser became available!   🤣

Actually I use to hang out in BBS - Bulletin Board Systems..... Actually that is where I met Iain 36 years ago.  We chatted for over 6 months before we ever met for a coffee.... The rest is history.

I was never into Unix until many years later.     I basically used command prompts in DOS 1.0  I think DOS was a single Floppy. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I have enjoyed many a beer / glass of sake sitting under the cherry blossoms in Japan.  Right now I am just excited to go back after 30 years.  Looking forward to the food, people, and culture. 

Enjoy --- incredible that it has been 30 years..... Sure it's changed a wee bit.   Has your wife back in the interim?

image.png.16093ce6e395a7654500367f417137a0.png

Audio Books

As many of you know I"m addicted to listening to Audio Books while on my 3-4 hour walk.  A follower clued me into all the resources available at Local Libraries.    Most library's have a membership with Libby and have a huge collection of all genre.   Just sign up on line via your library and you have access to the incredible virtual library.    Just check it out and download to phone and it automatically returns the book after a couple weeks.    Audible also has an incredible library (for a fee).   I also take audio books on CD out of the library and transcode to my phone.

For you Readers or Listeners --- Here's my current reading list of what's loaded on my phoone

Michael Connelly -   Harry Bosh Series

Jeffery Deaver  - Lincoln Rhyme Series

Lin Anderson -  Rhona MacLeod Scottish Mystery Series

Joe R Landsdale -  Hap & Leonard Series --- Most politically incorrect mystery series.

John Sandford -  Prey Series (34 Novels)

Virgil Flowers

Karen Slaughter - Grant County Series

Will Trent Series a spin off of Grant County and now a TV show.

' I'm really into Mystery and Forensic novels.....ok   I'm addicted.   New recommendations always enjoyed.

• Like 8

19 hours ago, upwarduk said:

Our clocks ‘Sprang forward’ yesterday, Easter Sunday, not ideal.

Is the UK now in sync with the Continent as the day of switching.  Showing my age. I remember it use to be a week off.

16 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Thanks.  I get the stitches out tomorrow from my recent vein surgery.  Decided to wait and do the other leg until I get back from my cruise.  This getting old is not for sissies!

I'm glad to hear you are back on your feet (sic).   Embrace every chance you have to maintain your mobility.    I love my walking and can't imagine losing my mobility.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

That sounds like a wonderful itinerary…and long! How many days is it? 

The cruise itself is and 18 day and 11 day cruise.    We added on about a week with our stay in Sydney per-cruise. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Suzi66 said:

Day Light Savings FINISHES (thank goodness) on April 6.  We are heading into Winter.  We don't need to be getting up another hour earlier than we already are.  You will get to have an extra hour to sleep if needed in the morning.

You of course are right...... this Northern/Southern  hemisphere combined with the date line is really confusing me.... actually it doesn't take much to confuse me.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The date line can really mess with your head.    When we flew home from Sydney in December we arrived before we left.   

The first TP I did, I found I had to go back and study Geography.    In my mind I always thought Tahiti was far west of Hawaii, only to learn it was actually Due South and a little to the east and was on the same timezone.... so no time zone changes.

That is an interesting geography note about Tahiti and Hawaii. 

Vic

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I have been away from Cruise Critic for a couple of days and I'm already six pages behind.

Henrietta (your best girlfriend) has her reading glasses on and we are following along with your adventures! Hope you and Iain have a fantastic cruise!

Dianne & Henrietta

I've spent my morning catching up on all the posts.        This was my Luke with his readers on.   Boy do I miss him.   I got way too close to him training him as as service dog... he failed and I couldn't give him up.   After his death I've never been able to replace him.

LukeHWood(2).thumb.jpg.aee2ca56d532beeb4a809c4f9996179b.jpg

• Like 35

49 minutes ago, Whinenowine said:

Whew!  Just made it through all the posts so far.

Jim--you guys are the only posters on CC who have 7 pages of posts BEFORE you even leave for the airport.  You'll likely be north of 12 pages before you set foot on the ship.  I think that says a lot about you and Iain--the quality of your posts and the friendliness with which you engage your fellow CCers.  While this trip isn't on the docket for me anytime soon, I'll still follow the thread closely and live vicariously through you two.

Can't wait to see the shirts you guys will be rocking this time!

Thanks much.... I'm just happy to have so much fun with my CC buddies.   It always amazes me that after booking this cruise 2 years ago how quickly the time has flown. 

Due to all the new ports, I'll be excited to try out my new GoPro.   It is so different than a camera and have listened to a lot of YouTube videos on all the settings.  When I bought it a month ago I was disappointed that when controlling it from an iPhone that you couldn't preview what you were shooting after you started recording.  This was only available on the Newest GoPro.    Luckily last week on the monthly update that added that feature. 

Wasting time tomorrow I think I will try shooting some footage and hopefully share my incredible walk -   It may also be a tour of my corner of Silicon Valley.   

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

image.png.16093ce6e395a7654500367f417137a0.png

Audio Books

As many of you know I"m addicted to listening to Audio Books while on my 3-4 hour walk.  A follower clued me into all the resources available at Local Libraries.    Most library's have a membership with Libby and have a huge collection of all genre.   Just sign up on line via your library and you have access to the incredible virtual library.    Just check it out and download to phone and it automatically returns the book after a couple weeks.    Audible also has an incredible library (for a fee).   I also take audio books on CD out of the library and transcode to my phone.

For you Readers or Listeners --- Here's my current reading list of what's loaded on my phoone

Michael Connelly -   Harry Bosh Series

Jeffery Deaver  - Lincoln Rhyme Series

Lin Anderson -  Rhona MacLeod Scottish Mystery Series

Joe R Landsdale -  Hap & Leonard Series --- Most politically incorrect mystery series.

John Sandford -  Prey Series (34 Novels)

Virgil Flowers

Karen Slaughter - Grant County Series

Will Trent Series a spin off of Grant County and now a TV show.

' I'm really into Mystery and Forensic novels.....ok   I'm addicted.   New recommendations always enjoyed.

If you like British mystery, the Freida Klein novels by Nicci French are great, as well as the Inspector Lynley series by Elizabeth George (an American who sets her novels in Great Britain). Both series should be read in order. My partner LOVES mystery novels, especially the British kind. He also loves Ruth Rendell, and you can read those out of order. 

If you like watching British mystery shows, I recommend Line of Duty and Payback. Very intense!  

• Like 3