Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

image.png.16093ce6e395a7654500367f417137a0.png

Audio Books

As many of you know I"m addicted to listening to Audio Books while on my 3-4 hour walk.  A follower clued me into all the resources available at Local Libraries.    Most library's have a membership with Libby and have a huge collection of all genre.   Just sign up on line via your library and you have access to the incredible virtual library.    Just check it out and download to phone and it automatically returns the book after a couple weeks.    Audible also has an incredible library (for a fee).   I also take audio books on CD out of the library and transcode to my phone.

For you Readers or Listeners --- Here's my current reading list of what's loaded on my phoone

Michael Connelly -   Harry Bosh Series

Jeffery Deaver  - Lincoln Rhyme Series

Lin Anderson -  Rhona MacLeod Scottish Mystery Series

Joe R Landsdale -  Hap & Leonard Series --- Most politically incorrect mystery series.

John Sandford -  Prey Series (34 Novels)

Virgil Flowers

Karen Slaughter - Grant County Series

Will Trent Series a spin off of Grant County and now a TV show.

' I'm really into Mystery and Forensic novels.....ok   I'm addicted.   New recommendations always enjoyed.

I've read all the Harry Bosch stuff.  If you like that you may enjoy books by Tana French -- all her books are set in Ireland.  I've most enjoyed her first three:  In the Woods, The Likeness and Faithful Place.  While the books are listed as a series each stands on it's own; generally, a secondary character from one book become the focus of the next book.

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 3

Audio Books

As many of you know I"m addicted to listening to Audio Books while on my 3-4 hour walk.  A follower clued me into all the resources available at Local Libraries.    Most library's have a membership with Libby and have a huge collection of all genre.   Just sign up on line via your library and you have access to the incredible virtual library.    Just check it out and download to phone and it automatically returns the book after a couple weeks.    Audible also has an incredible library (for a fee).   I also take audio books on CD out of the library and transcode to my phone.

For you Readers or Listeners --- Here's my current reading list of what's loaded on my phoone

Joe R Landsdale -  Hap & Leonard Series --- Most politically incorrect mystery series.

Virgil Flowers

' I'm really into Mystery and Forensic novels.....ok   I'm addicted.   New recommendations always enjoyed.

Have you ever come across Martin Walker’s Bruno books? A rural gendarme who somehow gets to be involved in anything from truffle fraud to international terrorism, all while cooking fantastic food. They’re lovely books. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dianedebuda said:

Any IT types remember those type of books popular before the web "was invented"?

A the days of the e-zines .. I remember them well.  

• Like 1

We went up there last time in Kona.   We have rented a car in both Kona and Hilo and will try to find some hidden spots we've never been to before.    As you said it is an incredible day trip.   I've heard that sunrise is incredible but....not way I would get Iain out of bed to make the trek.

We are doing a similar itinerary five days later albeit on Royal Caribbean. Unfortunately our altered itinerary only has an overnight in Kailua-Kona with no stops in Hilo. We have been to Hilo many times where we ventured to Volcano's National Park. So I'll be curious to see where you end up visiting when you venture out in Kailua-Kona. I just finalized a Turo rental where we only plan to rent a car for the first day of the overnight.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hcat said:

We just replaced our Home Computer.. The data Transfer is Underway with the  GEEK squad. Our existing custom designed set up  was quite old. and not supported by any updates. Sadly no more CD roms will work on the new one..HP..but our  lap top in Fl still has one if needed

I bought an external CD RW device years ago for PC and for my MacBook.  However, I have not purchase any new software that was not available via download.  That seems  to be the way of the future now.  So I download, install, and then move the downloaded software to my NAS.  

Who else has ISO files from 10 years ago?  I even have about 100 old CD/DVD's that i need to shred once the data form them has been moved to my NAS.  But that is such tedious mind numbing work, I always manage to keep putting it off. 

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have rented a car in both Kona and Hilo and will try to find some hidden spots we've never been to before. 

I take it you have been to Volcano's National Park? I have been told walking along the volcano flows there is breathtaking. 

The military has a recreation center there where you can rent cabins.  I am thinking of going there for a day or two next time we visit the islands. 

• Like 2

Actually I use to hang out in BBS - Bulletin Board Systems..

Me too.  I use to run a local one when I was stationed in Hawaii.  I was also a mod for the Internet group in the old GEnius BBS in the beginning of the internet days.  

Ah, DOS 1.0 -- those were the good old days... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Enjoy --- incredible that it has been 30 years..... Sure it's changed a wee bit.   Has your wife back in the interim?

Yes, she was back just before COVID for a high school class reunion.   She's buying a new suitcase this week just for the stuff she wants to buy to bring back with us !

• Like 2

I've spent my morning catching up on all the posts.        This was my Luke with his readers on.   Boy do I miss him.   I got way too close to him training him as as service dog... he failed and I couldn't give him up.   After his death I've never been able to replace him.

They are all irreplacable - such different personalties. I dread Henrietta's retirement next year since she is the perfect traveller. I'm sure my successor Service Dog will be a pro too, but it will be interesting to see the differences.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I take it you have been to Volcano's National Park? I have been told walking along the volcano flows there is breathtaking. 

The military has a recreation center there where you can rent cabins.  I am thinking of going there for a day or two next time we visit the islands. 

The Chain of Craters drive is a must do/see. You drive literally to the edge of the Big Island. 

IMG_20170427_105333.jpg

IMG_20170427_105121.jpg

IMG_20170427_104939.jpg

IMG_20170427_102652 (1).jpg

IMG_20191002_114317.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Just South of Volcanos National Park is Punalu'u Black Sand Beach where you can see the giant sea turtles.

IMG_20191002_140001 (2).jpg

IMG_20191010_164313_939 (1).jpg

IMG_20191002_140229.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

The Chain of Craters drive is a must do/see. You drive literally to the edge of the Big Island. 

Beautiful pictures -- Thank you for sharing them. 

If Jim & Iian have not been before, I am sure this will incentivize them. It's definitely the reason I want to go to the Big Island next time we are in Hawaii. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The date line can really mess with your head.    When we flew home from Sydney in December we arrived before we left.   

The first TP I did, I found I had to go back and study Geography.    In my mind I always thought Tahiti was far west of Hawaii, only to learn it was actually Due South and a little to the east and was on the same timezone.... so no time zone changes.

Yes, I have studied the globe and maps to look at all the places we are going but what helped me most was adding all of our ports to the clock on my phone and seeing that French Polynesia is only 6 hours difference (as you say, same as Hawaii)  from east coast US.   Pago Pago is only 7 hrs.... but once you cross the date line... my mind starts getting confused again.   So Apia, Western Samoa is in the same time zone as Auckland but Suva, Fiji is another hour different...

We have 8 sea days to get back from Moorea to LA and only 3 time zones.

Wishing you safe travels and smooth seas...  will wave as we pass each other!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Audio Books

Virgil Flowers

Have you read the Andy Carpenter books by Dave Rosenfelt? The main character loves dogs and has a most unique sense of humor.

Mary Ann

Edited by I'llGoAnywhere
  • Like 1

I'm glad to hear you are back on your feet (sic).   Embrace every chance you have to maintain your mobility.    I love my walking and can't imagine losing my mobility.

Yes, I now take a lovely neighborhood walk with some of my neighbors every morning.  Could never do that prior to getting my bionic knees.  And no more having to rent a scooter on board.  The ultrasound pronounced me blood clot free, so all is well.  Except with my old brain.  I neglected to put a lunch in my electronic calendar & thus did not get a reminder.  Apparently my brain decided one event for the day was enough and I didn't even notice it on my written calendar until 2:00 p.m.  As I said before, this getting old is not for sissies.  😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Beautiful pictures -- Thank you for sharing them. 

If Jim & Iian have not been before, I am sure this will incentivize them. It's definitely the reason I want to go to the Big Island next time we are in Hawaii. 

great photos..great memories!

Is the UK now in sync with the Continent as the day of switching.  Showing my age. I remember it use to be a week off.

Yes, we are Jim, we've been in sync since 1997. We always change on the last Sunday in March & October.

Safe Travels,

Andy.

Following another Jim and Iian blog  we were originally also going on this cruise so will be very jealous reading this and wish we were there. Decided to take a cruise in June to miss Tucson heat and celebrate our anniversary. Have a wonderful cruise.  Enjoy the Pacific.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Is the UK now in sync with the Continent as the day of switching.  Showing my age. I remember it use to be a week off.

I suspect so, as our app to control our heating on my husband’s phone was misbehaving last week. It’s now OK.

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Audio Books

Virgil Flowers

Thanks for posting this, I have been looking for some new authors.  Lots of interesting recommendations. You might like Louise Penny, she has a very popular series about a chief inspector in the Quebec Surete.  They take place in rural Quebec and always keep you guessing.  I have been reading in order, my hold with Libby for the next one started 19th in line, I'm up to 10 and still have an estimated 20 weeks. No French required to read them 🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

New recommendations always enjoyed.

You’ve maybe figured this out on Libby, and it’s possible my library’s rules are different than yours… but, here’s how I use Libby. You can have 10 loans at a time, and can renew those, 3 weeks at a time, as many times as it’s available (ie no one else wants it). You can have 10 holds at a time. You can postpone a hold if it comes available… I often do this to time a hold to be available for a trip. I use tags to mark books I want to read (so if I read a review, or someone tells me about a book like you just did, I can tag it « to read ».) I also mark books to read, although the app sort of does that too. I also have a tag for « don’t bother not worth reading «  for something I’ve started that doesn’t catch my interest, and another for « don’t read » if I check out a review and think it won’t be to my taste or too scary for e.g.! I also enjoy magazines and subscribe to several so they auto populate in the app. Lastly, I also use Goodreads to track books to read or that I’ve read. Happy reading!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I do not think I have ever had a BIOS battery fail me.  Laptop batteries I have had go bad, one on a MacBook swelled up so bad it bulged the case.  Apple replaced the battery but I had to pay the labor charge.   

You may want to consider replacing the laptop as a battery should not just go dead unless something is wrong with the charging system.  Then again, no idea how old yours may be. 

After replacement of the Battery all is good again.   I think I had shut off hibernation and and knocked the charging cable out before bed.    Next morning I couldn't even get it to boot so had to open it up and disconnect the battery.  Plugged it back in and went into Bios and changed a couple setting and she booted up perfect.    That was a big clue the Bios Battery was dead.   Just to make sure I ordered a replacement on Amazon and replaced this morning.    All's good now.

I think this Dell XPS is about 3 years old -  I have a couple of spares down in the office. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

I love your reviews and so happy I met you years ago,   As always, don’t forget your passports, you haven’t mentioned them. Stay safe and have a fantastic cruise.  I will be following. 

I'm sure I'll never live that one down.  Iain has taken charge of the Passports to keep me out of trouble. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure I'll never live that one down.  Iain has taken charge of the Passports to keep me out of trouble. 

Was going to post the same thing. Don’t forget the PASSPORTS!😂