how Many People Started Cruising Before 1995

On 3/31/2024 at 7:01 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

1978 Italian Line “Leonardo da Vinci”.

I believe I did the same cruise Fort Lauderdale to Bahamas.  About the same time, the SS Emerald Seas again to Nassau.  I was 15, and they rented me a Honda motor scooter. 

01-04 November 1991 - Royal Caribbean Cruise Line (RCCL then) - ms Viking Serenade (a converted Scandinavian car ferry)

It was known as a "booze cruise" due to the very short itinerary for a grand total of 292 nautical miles

Fri - L.A. (San Pedro)

Sat - Avalon, Catalina Island (tendering)

Sun - Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Mon - L.A. (San Pedro)

We had an inside cabin, so not even a port hole. Didn't matter, we were hooked on cruising from that day on!

The captain was a Swede by the name of Thomas Wildung The cruise director was someone by the name of Paul Grayson

First stop; Avalon, Catalina Island is always nice! We wound up renting a golf cart (no "regular" cars allowed on the island for residents and/or visitors) to tour Avalon on our own using a map. Maria was the navigator and did one heck of a job not getting us to Hilo, Hawaii

Ensenada was next. What is there to do in Ensenada you may ask: well, not mucho except if you're into shopping for leather, blankets, sombreros, Chicklets chewing gum, etc., visiting Hussong's Cantina or, wait for it, La Bufadora aka "the blowhole"    

Royal Caribbean International (USA-Norway) - Viking Serenade (scrapped Alang, India April 2018).jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

March 18, 1994

Royal Caribbean Viking Serenade

LA-Ensenada with my sister

We paid for an inside, but got a free upgrade to aft-facing balcony. Still my favorite cabin location. 

We sailed with Captain Thomas Wildung several times on Legend of the Seas. Great guy. 

Edited by trk_koa
  • Like 1

Our first cruise was in 1994 on the Norwegian Seaward - it was great. DH forgot to pack black socks for his suit and the ship didn't sell any. He ended up wearing a pair of my black knee-his😀 Very  European looking. We just completed our 76th cruise 2 weeks ago! We are 4* Mariners on HAL and couldn't be happier after cruising on NCL, Carnival, RCCL, and Celebrity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not me but I'll jump in anyway.  First cruise was aboard the Norwegian Majesty in 1998.  Boston to Bermuda.  Went through Hurricane Bonnie. What a trip.  I think I was one of the only ones on that ship that wasn't seasick.  I was drinking beer on the only bar open with an ironworker from Boston lol.

Memories of my first ship are few, though there are pictures of my parents and me [pre-school age, early 50's], "dressed" for a stroll around the deck on the Queen Mary out of Boston to the UK. I think we returned on the Queen Elizabeth.

DH has a far more interesting "first" leaving the UK for Mombassa and onto Seychelles in about 1960, with trips on the Uganda, Kampala and Karanja. He attended school in Nairobi and every 45 days traveled British India Line from Mombassa to Mahe to be with family. 

Our first real cruise was on the Volendam & Veendam, about 23K tons each, formerly the Brazil and Argentina. We did a Caribbean and Bermuda cruise on each. We spent many nights in the Crow's next bar, with Alex our bar tender, who greeted us with "Mr & Mrs M, vodka soda and vodka martini!" 

Darcy