how Many People Started Cruising Before 1995

Sailed on the Westerdam-WD July 4-11,1992.  Fell in love with ship and sailing to Alaska.  I will be continuing my  love of Alaska in June for the 28 day sailing adventure.  Finally, visiting a new port,Nome, on my 14th trip to Alaska.

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

It's interesting that there have been several references to the Costa Riviera.  That was the ship on which we took our second cruise--Western Caribbean--in the early 1980s.

Beautiful ship when Costs was a very good line as it was family owned before Carnival bought them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We sailed on a Carnival ship in 1975 and then sailed Royal Caribbean lines in early 90’s. We quit cruising and did land trips my until returning to cruising in 2008.

Edited by madera1

Late 80s (probably in 1989) our family was on the Big Red Boat (Premier Cruiseline).  They had a plan with a 3-4 day cruise and 3-4 days at Disney World.  First HAL cruise on the Veendam out of Pt Canaveral in March, 2005.  Since then have been a DAM ship over 1000 days.

16 hours ago, KBS1607 said:

That would be a great topic, too. Biggest drought of cruising minus the pandemic. 

Wanted to add our honeymoon The Big Red Boat…we were young, stupid AND completely cut off from the world. We arrived home: heard about the hurricane (October) AND a senior VP at our company had been arrested. Good times. 

You know, sometimes ignorance is bliss. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Well, I’m  at the cusp. My first cruise was the SS Norway in 1995. Now 36 cruises later….

Ohhh, she was really something in her day. Sadly, I sailed on her about 6 years after you did. By then, NCL was running her on the cheap and she looked sad. But that lounge with the Neptune statues still ranks high with me for most beautiful room at sea. 

• Like 1

1976 SS Uganda - British India Lines

1977 SS Oriana - P&O Cruises

1978 SS Canberra

1978 SS Oriana

1979 SS Uganda

1979 MV Island Princess

1980 MV Sun Princess

• Like 1

We started with a Carnival cruise in 1973, then cruised RCCL, Monarch, Cunard, Oceania and HAL.  Even with ALZ, DH  told me not to stop cruising and enjoy every minute. I am working on that with two cruises booked!

• Like 1

My first cruise was on the Festivale (Carnival) in 1979.I went with a girlfriend and we sailed out of Miami to St. Thomas, San Juan PR and St. Maarten. That vacation started a lifetime love of cruising. I introduced my boyfriend (now husband) and friends to cruising in 1993 and they were all hooked! We have seen a good part of the world from cruise ships. In three weeks we are sailing the Columbia/Snake River with American Cruise Lines - another new experience.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, westcoastsue said:

My first cruise was on the Festivale (Carnival) in 1979.I went with a girlfriend and we sailed out of Miami to St. Thomas, San Juan PR and St. Maarten. That vacation started a lifetime love of cruising. I introduced my boyfriend (now husband) and friends to cruising in 1993 and they were all hooked! We have seen a good part of the world from cruise ships. In three weeks we are sailing the Columbia/Snake River with American Cruise Lines - another new experience.

That itinerary has great scenery! There's less to do on a small ship, but this cruise is all about the ports and the views, so for us that didn't matter.

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That itinerary has great scenery! There's less to do on a small ship, but this cruise is all about the ports and the views, so for us that didn't matter.

Thank you. We both love the Pacific Northwest and are hoping this type of cruising might provide us with another option in the future. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, J&Dhighdesert said:

Sailed on the Westerdam-WD July 4-11,1992.  Fell in love with ship and sailing to Alaska.  I will be continuing my  love of Alaska in June for the 28 day sailing adventure.  Finally, visiting a new port,Nome, on my 14th trip to Alaska.

We loved the old Westerdam, best theatre seats ever!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gsel said:

We started with a Carnival cruise in 1973, then cruised RCCL, Monarch, Cunard, Oceania and HAL.  Even with ALZ, DH  told me not to stop cruising and enjoy every minute. I am working on that with two cruises booked!

The oldest Carnival ship, I thought was the Mardi Gras, purchased from Canadian Pacific and still uses the colours used by Canadian Pacific on their locomotives (a RR company)

My introduction to cruising was flying from London to Miami to replace another drummer in one of the bands on Song of Norway in summer 1985. I returned for 32 more weeks in March 1986 when Labadee was added to the Western Caribbean run of Ocho Rios, George Town and Cozumel. SON was a boatload of fun. I used to play until 3 a.m in the Land of the Midnight Sun disco!

Alaska Itinerary-25.jpg

(posing on NCL Starward)

After working for RCCL I came ashore and married my American sweetheart. We did  Carnival cruises in 1990 and 91. One was on the Celebration (?) from San Juan to ABC islands and Venezuela. I was a child of the midnight buffet....

I only snapped one HAL ship back then...

Alaska Itinerary-16.jpg

Nieuw Amsterdam 1986

My favorite eye-candy SS Norway

Alaska Itinerary.jpg

Norris

• Like 3

Our first ever cruise was July, 1989 to the Eastern Caribbean on Carnival's Jubilee.  Ports over the 7 days were Nassau, San Juan, and St. Thomas.  I was hooked from the beginning.