how Many People Started Cruising Before 1995

4 hours ago, highscar said:

1953. Empress of France.  Liverpool to Montreal.  

I was on the same ship in 1957 also Liverpool to Montreal. I was only 10 years old but I do remember how rough the seas were. I think 90% of the passengers were seasick. They nicknamed the ship the "Drunken Empress "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

December 4, 1982…..Sitmar Cruises on the TSS Fairwind to San Juan, St. Thomas and Nassau. When cruises were cruises with amazing Midnight Buffets, Champagne and Caviar on Formal Nights, unbelievable service, nice prizes for contest winners with no nickel and diming. Sitmar had the best potato chips which were made on board and in all the cocktail lounges. Drinks were cheap and less than what you would pay at a bar on land, now it’s the opposite.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike B Landlubber said:

I took a Nile cruise in 1988, don’t remember the company. I didn’t cruise again till I went on Voyages to Antiquity in 2011!

That would be a great topic, too. Biggest drought of cruising minus the pandemic. 

Wanted to add our honeymoon The Big Red Boat…we were young, stupid AND completely cut off from the world. We arrived home: heard about the hurricane (October) AND a senior VP at our company had been arrested. Good times. 

Edited by KBS1607

2 hours ago, C 2 C said:

Does this count? I'm the guy in the middle on the Georgic, 1951

Not only does it count, if we are vying to see which poster first sailed longest, you may just be the winner!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

After Costa and a short stint with Sitmar, I went to Royal Viking Line in 1982. What a great company - very fond memories. Their ships, staff and crew were incredible, a big, happy family.

How I loved sailing on Royal Viking, and wish they were still in business today. I didn't appreciate them enough when I sailed on the Royal Viking Sea, but sure do now. I miss them to this day. 

• Like 3

1989 Alaska tour then cruise on the Old Noordam. Still my favorite HAL ship and I have cruised on all of the ships except the Nieuw Statendam. Maybe next cruise on her?

Jane.

26 minutes ago, RuthC said:

How I loved sailing on Royal Viking, and wish they were still in business today. I didn't appreciate them enough when I sailed on the Royal Viking Sea, but sure do now. I miss them to this day. 

The Royal Viking Sea was my favorite of the original three ships, with a true “happy ship” atmosphere. At the helm was the handsome, charming Helge Brudvig, aka the “Paul Newman Captain,” who later went to Crystal.

But all three ships were wonderful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's interesting that there have been several references to the Costa Riviera.  That was the ship on which we took our second cruise--Western Caribbean--in the early 1980s.