how Many People Started Cruising Before 1995

very interesting variety of responses

1995 Maasdam to European Capitals with our sons
1993 inaugural Statendam to Baltic with 3 generations

1992 Royal Caribbean to Western Caribbean with our sons

1990 Royal Caribbean Sun Viking to Alaska with our elementary school age sons

and leaving soon for Celebrity transatlantic, with continuing service to the fjords, and crossing back on QM2.

nothing can quite match those first few trips, but cruising is still the best of times.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

1978 Statendam to Bermuda

My first cruise! (we weren't on the same cruise, though. we compared notes once before on this.) 

• Like 3

1959-HAL De Groote Beer, Rotterdam to Montreal. We immigrated to Canada, 10 day cruising and 4 days by CPRail to Vancouver. Loved it ever since, but had to wait till 1995 for the next one, Rijndam Caribbean cruise. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

1977 Royal Caribbean’s Song of Norway 

Even before Royal Viking Line?  🙂 We compared notes a couple of years ago and my first cruise was on RVL from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta.  My bestie worked for RVL in San Francisco in the late 70's early 80's. She remembers your name!

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 3

1992 Costa Riviera - Alaska Inside Passage

Honestly, it was a cruise ship designed for the Mediterranean and sent to Alaska.  There was so little to do on the ship  Swore off cruising until 2019.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GrammieK said:

1978 Home Lines Oceanic

First for me was also on the Oceanic in 1973. 7 night from NYC to Nassau. I was 12, am 62 now and am taking cruise #45 next week on the Rotterdam.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Even before Royal Viking Line?  🙂 We compared notes a couple of years ago and my first cruise was on RVL from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta.  My bestie worked for RVL in San Francisco in the late 70's early 80's. She remembers your name!

Wow, small world! Give her my best!

I worked in airline sales throughout the 1970s, arranged a last-minute charter Royal Caribbean needed desperately during a strike situation, and they offered me a free cruise on Song of Norway to say thanks. 

I loved cruising so much, I jumped at an ad for a new sales rep position with Costa Cruises (when it was still owned by the Costa family) based in Washington DC. After Costa and a short stint with Sitmar, I went to Royal Viking Line in 1982. What a great company - very fond memories. Their ships, staff and crew were incredible, a big, happy family.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Early 90s ('92? '93?) Carnival Holiday. And it was a holiday cruise - my first Christmas cruise and 1st New Years cruise.

Is there a prize at the end of this?😁

Us too on Carnival Holiday . She was a great ship back then ,then we sailed on the old Jubilee to Alaska .We did at least 15 to 20  Carnival ship cruises before we found RCL & Celebrity  & Princess .  Now we are only HAL cruisers for the last 5 to 6 years  or perhaps a bit longer 

Edited by mcrcruiser
  • Like 1

1973 -- Emerald Seas

1974 -- Sitmar Fairwind (and about once a year thereafter for next 10 years)

My grandparents sailed a number of times on HAL started around 1971-72.  They retired to Fort Lauderdale and cruised often.

• Like 1

Jan 1993 - Royal Caribbean from San Juan with a square dance club.

Then took a LONG break until an Alaskan cruise in May 2008 - southbound on Princess.

Finally DH agreed to another, and we found a home on HAL in Feb 2019. With exception of shutdown, have been cruising from Ft. Lauderdale twice a year since.

15 hours ago, Kay S said:

Husband did the USS United States in 1965.  That wasn't cruising.  It was transportation to and from Europe.  (He was in steerage, of course!)

My wife was also on the SS United States, late in 1958 or early 1959 (she was three years old), returning from Germany at the end of her father's posting there.

• Like 3