how Many People Started Cruising Before 1995

19 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Always a powerful story, Ann. This is Teia Maru and Gripsholm, chartered by the US Government from Sweden, at the neutral port of Mormugao, Goa State, in India in 1943. Was this perhaps taken during the same time you sailed on both ships? The markings on both vessels were so no submarines from the warring Allied and Axis countries would take a shot at them

aramis11.jpg

Teia Maru

grip_diplomat.jpg

undefined

NewspaperMap.jpg

4 boys with life preserver, NYC in background

Aerial view of Mormugao Harbour

Mormugao, India in present day

Yes, that was us, John!  Thanks for doing all that research.  How I wish I could remember it - my mother kept a lot of souvenirs of the trip and a diary.  She said the Gripsholm was brightly lit all the way, and we were never attacked, although there were enemy submarines around.

• Like 3

When I was very young (2-4 years old and 7-10 years old, 1960 - 1967) we lived in Nassau, Bahamas. My father was born there, his family there goes back several generations. My grandmother loved to shop at Burdines in Miami, so we would take the Bahama Star or the Yarmouth Castle to and from Miami. I loved being on the ships while the rest of my immediate family did not (sea sickness was not kind to them), so my Grandmother would take me more often! I can remember being on the ships when I was about 4, and LOVED every minute.  That early experiences led to a life-long love of cruising. Still have it, we are booked on the 42 day Ultimate Mediterranean & Atlantic Passage in November.  Retirement is wonderful!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1983 on the NCL Norway.  I agree with the posters who said this was a fantastic ship.  It had so many traditions like fixed seating three times a day and had the Great Outdoor Restaurant.  The entertainment was great.  They actually had broadway type productions.  

My first HAL cruise was 1999 on the Veendam.  

• Like 2

On 5/17/2024 at 5:10 PM, Copper10-8 said:

Always a powerful story, Ann. This is Teia Maru and Gripsholm, chartered by the US Government from Sweden, at the neutral port of Mormugao, Goa State, in India in 1943. Was this perhaps taken during the same time you sailed on both ships? The markings on both vessels were so no submarines from the warring Allied and Axis countries would take a shot at them

aramis11.jpg

Teia Maru

grip_diplomat.jpg

undefined

NewspaperMap.jpg

4 boys with life preserver, NYC in background

Aerial view of Mormugao Harbour

Mormugao, India in present day

Thank you for the photo of the Gripsholm.  My late mother was in NYC for a time during World War I I and saw her as well as Normandie laying on her side. 
my mom took me on my first cruise in 1972 when I was 9 on NCL Skyward.   
Now my next is hopefully on Cunard Queen Anne in August.  About 130 cruises later 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:41 PM, jlawrence01 said:

1992 Costa Riviera - Alaska Inside Passage

Honestly, it was a cruise ship designed for the Mediterranean and sent to Alaska.  There was so little to do on the ship  Swore off cruising until 2019.

My family was on Costa Riviera  in August of 89 to the Caribbean. I remember great food and a hurricane!

Jim 

On 5/15/2024 at 4:25 PM, USN59-79 said:

If we can mention "Haze Grey and Underway", I spent some time on three ships before HAL.  In 1959 I boarded the USS Pine Island (AV-12), a seaplane tender in San Diego.  As a Seaman Recruit, I was assigned to the deck force.  One day they asked at quarters "Who can type?"  My hand went up and I left the ship in 1960 as a clerk.  Next ship was a Destroyer Tender, USS Frontier (AD-25) out of Long Beach, from 1966-1968.  By then I decided to stay in the Navy and got a lot of electronics training.  Left her as a first class electronics technician.  Got some more training and taught at a Navy electronics school and joined my last ship, USS Hector (AR-7) in Vietnam as a Warrant Officer serving as her Electronics Repair Officer.  She was also out of Long Beach.  Like most in the Seattle area, took my first cruise to Alaska in 1998 on the old Noordam.

Ray

Thanks for your service.

Jim 

Posted (edited)

My first cruise was a transatlantic on the 1938 edition of the Nieuw Amsterdam from NYC to Rotterdam in late June 1959. We ran into the worst storm I ever encountered. A highlight was meeting a drunk Clark Gable after midnight. He was lost and we got him "home".

It was part of a student "Grand Tour" with 16 days going and coming on ships and 39 days on land. Return trip was uneventful from Genoa or La Spezia to NYC in late August. I got home in time to report to my freshman year in college.

You can view my cruises in my signature below if you expand it. There were two delay in cruising from 1966 to 1989 and from 1989 until 2008. Not COVID related.

Jim

Edited by jeh10641
Added material.
  • Like 1

here’s s really good way to date yourself.

on my first cruise we threw streamers (think Love  Boat scenes) and dessert carts came around to choose from.  

now polluting wasn’t good and no one thought of it at the time since there were fewer ships and they were smaller I put those dessert carts sure were tempting.

• Haha 1

My first cruise was  a 4 day weekend with some college friends out of Miami in 1974. Very different then.  Women all dressed after 6. Skeet shooting off the back of the ship, streamers and balloons! It was great but life interfered and I didnt go again until 1991. It has been steady ever since!

21 hours ago, kazu said:

here’s s really good way to date yourself.

on my first cruise we threw streamers (think Love  Boat scenes) and dessert carts came around to choose from.  

now polluting wasn’t good and no one thought of it at the time since there were fewer ships and they were smaller I put those dessert carts sure were tempting.

Not only streamers but on-board visitors on Boarding Day!

Jim

• Like 2