Has anyone tried the 100% vegan or vegetarian restaurant on NCL?

evag

Posted (edited)

I saw on one of the cruise YouTuber video that they were going to do that, but they didn’t say if they already had it or when it would start and if not on all ships, which one.  I wonder if they are going to base the menu on meals made from scratch using only natural ingredients or make use of a lot of processed foods which can contain a lot of meat analogues, i.e. impossible ground meat, chi’ken, etc. Do you know now that they are creating meat made from animal cells that has the natural taste and texture of meat as it is, you just don’t kill animals, I wonder how many vegetarian feel about  that if they don’t eat meat solely because they don’t want to kill animals-vegans don’t want anything to do with meat so there’s no question of them not wanting to do that (sorry, I have ADHD so got off the track, though I think that could be a start of a spirited discussion!)

The pastor of the local Seven Day Adventist Church who has bible along with his healthy food studies with vegan meals once a week, and a vegan movie and cooking class once a month, hates them, never recommends the canned line of fake meats his church provides thru the Loma Llnda brand and doesn’t like one of the most popular veggie food chains locally, the Veggie Grill, because it has a lot mock meat dishes-I think he like some vegans not only don’t like people eating meat but to get away from eating meat like dishes. I who, enjoy the taste and texture of eating meat could never become a vegetarian if I couldn’t fall back on something like that. They eschew sugar so also can rarely eat vegan desserts though not containing animals it would contains sugar which they also eschew (psst-there was a good cake made from a coconut milk based Cool Whip spread on fresh strawberries though really enjoy that then just eating fruit all the time-when I asked if there is a good snack he recommended he said fruits and vegetables, he thinks carrots make the best hot dogs. (BTW unless it’s meat stickers or jerkies most snacks ARE vegan even if they may have other ingredients not so healthy.) 

One last anecdote is that in 1982 when I worked for FedEx (Federal Express at the time) before an Xmas party they sent out a letter giving people a choice for ONE other meal which was a vegetarian one, although I wasn’t a vegetarian and although I still ate meat I wanted to try it out.  When the order came, I looked at it appalled, just a plate with boiled or steamed vegetables, no side dishes, special seasonings or sauces, I wanted to shout bring on the prime rib!  At the very least if they didn’t want to cook something they could have made a nice salad with a variety of toppings, it reminds me of a colleague from work who in the late 70’s who told me that when she went to a French restaurant she could only eat the bread (though she COULD have I think ordered a salad-you can get that ANYWHERE) how different from today, with most restaurant usually having a specially prepared veggie (includes vegan) entree and lines of frozen foods with a veg orientation. It’s even easier now that you don’t even have to do food combining like Frances Moore Lappe advocated in Her Diet for a Small Planet!  I know I tend to ramble but hope someone can answer, if they ate there, was it just mostly bean and rice and salad dishes or did they have fake meat, was it a free (hopefully there are many vegans who can’t stand the SMELL of meat) I once remember a person wouldn’t eat steamed veggies once as the water used to steam the vegetables had been used to steam a lobster or something like that.

Edited by evag

After I spent a long time writing this I remember my friend who I used to treat as my personal Wikipedia told me when I asked him questions about 15 years ago, that google is my best friend, I looked it up and it will on the new Aqua ship but other than that I can’t find the answer to my questions, probably the res agents don’t know about that either. Well I’ll keep my post up, the anecdotes my amuse you 😀!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Coastalbreezes said:

Interesting. I'd rather NCL work on incorporating a good variety of *interesting and flavorful* plant based dishes in the main dining venues rather than having to go to one specific spot. I can always find something or piece together sides, but they tend to be bland and boring.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

Interesting. I'd rather NCL work on incorporating a good variety of *interesting and flavorful* plant based dishes in the main dining venues rather than having to go to one specific spot. I can always find something or piece together sides, but they tend to be bland and boring.

Actually, NCL has done this. There is a vegan menu in the MDR, however most know nothing about it as they fail to contact the access desk prior to their cruise to discuss their dining accommodation(s).

image.thumb.jpeg.67181478a6a7b75f7b1c25d784e1ceae.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Monica887 said:

If they are making the effort to develop the menus for the venue on Aqua, I would expect some of the better/popular ones would start making their way into the MDR menus for veggie/vegan options on all ships expanding what they have currently. 

OP...TL;DR

But, I'll assume you're looking for Vegetarian dishes on NCL.  They do have those choices, but I'd also contact the Maitre'D of your restaurant on board and let him/her know you are looking for Vegetarian options.  They have them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rodndonna said:

If they are making the effort to develop the menus for the venue on Aqua, I would expect some of the better/popular ones would start making their way into the MDR menus for veggie/vegan options on all ships expanding what they have currently. 

I would expect the opposite. They keep the dishes at their specialty dining restaurants unique, or no one would choose to dine there.

I do think NCL needs to up their vegetarian/vegan game though. When I was on Royal you could see their vegan menu for the MDR in the app each night. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Actually, NCL has done this. There is a vegan menu in the MDR, however most know nothing about it as they fail to contact the access desk prior to their cruise to discuss their dining accommodation(s).

Thanks. I didn't know this. Since it's a food preference and not an actual allergy, I never want to take away attention from people who actually NEED accommodations.

I'll try it for my upcoming trip! I know Haven is pretty flexible with the menu, but hopefully they can incorporate some of these for me too. 

7 hours ago, lepidoptera said:

I do think NCL needs to up their vegetarian/vegan game though. When I was on Royal you could see their vegan menu for the MDR in the app each night. 

Does RCCL still do that? I don't remember seeing it on the app any longer on our March cruise. 

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Does RCCL still do that? I don't remember seeing it on the app any longer on our March cruise. 

Maybe it changed, my last cruise with them was last year. I did really like it. I found the menu pretty dairy heavy and often ate off the vegan menu instead. I did really like being to see all the menus in the app and plan ahead easier. 

2 hours ago, Monica887 said:

Thanks. I didn't know this. Since it's a food preference and not an actual allergy, I never want to take away attention from people who actually NEED accommodations.

I'll try it for my upcoming trip! I know Haven is pretty flexible with the menu, but hopefully they can incorporate some of these for me too. 

You aren't taking anything from anyone because you need or want a vegetarian or vegan diet. No different than someone who needs/wants a kosher diet. The access desk exists to assist anyone with an accommodation...it isn't a disability only zone.

22 hours ago, SeaShark said:

I remember reading on these boards before our Prima cruise this past summer that you could ask for a vegetarian or vegan menu for the next day and order ahead. But when I tried this the waiters would look very confused and then hand me the regular menu for the next day. This was in Hudsons, the main dining room.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I remember reading on these boards before our Prima cruise this past summer that you could ask for a vegetarian or vegan menu for the next day and order ahead. But when I tried this the waiters would look very confused and then hand me the regular menu for the next day. This was in Hudsons, the main dining room.

That makes sense. When you talk with the access desk, they will tell you that you have to get the menu from the hostess or the maitre'd, who will then take your order to the following evening, and enter it into their system. The only server involvement is telling them the following evening that you've already pre-ordered your meal.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

That makes sense. When you talk with the access desk, they will tell you that you have to get the menu from the hostess or the maitre'd, who will then take your order to the following evening, and enter it into their system. The only server involvement is telling them the following evening that you've already pre-ordered your meal.

Thanks, but how hard would it be for them to let the wait staff know that those menus do exist?

27 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Thanks, but how hard would it be for them to let the wait staff know that those menus do exist?

Wouldn't be hard at all. In fact, they could tell every single employee in every single department onboard that the menus exist. However, given the procedure in place...which the guest would be fully aware of if they properly contact the access desk...one has to ask how hard would it be to just ask the correct person?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

Wouldn't be hard at all. In fact, they could tell every single employee in every single department onboard that the menus exist. However, given the procedure in place...which the guest would be fully aware of if they properly contact the access desk...one has to ask how hard would it be to just ask the correct person?

Please be serious. I asked how hard it would be to give this information to the wait staff. Why bring in any other staff? No one is going to ask about this to their steward, shop employees, purser's desk, etc.? 

How many guests do you really think know that they should have asked at the access desk? I know I did not. Where, other than your posts, is someone supposed to learn this?

I had no idea about this menu, and I sail NCL! Actually, it would be nice if they just had a Vegan menu like RCI does. While most people think about those "silly vegans", you would be surprised how many lactose intolerant people there are. I am very lactose intolerant but it is not an allergy (allergies are life threatening. This is not - but it hurts!) so like many lactose intolerant folks (cross contamination is not an issue for many of us) I manage it by making the best choices I can and taking Lactaid which usually works pretty well.  I don't think the staff needs to go through the added work of maintaining my diet so I don't use the special access desk and many others of us don't either. On RCI when I sat down at the table, when I mentioned "I watch out for dairy" they produced their Vegan menu.

It was so nice walking into RCI's dining room and having a menu with food I didn't need to figure out easily available! Hopefully, NCL will start incorporating one or two vegan dinners a night into their MDR menu. If not, I'll keep on doing what I do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

I don't think the staff needs to go through the added work of maintaining my diet so I don't use the special access desk and many others of us don't either.

IMHO, that is the wrong way to look at it. It isn't "added work", this is the job and function of the access desk...it is what they are there for. Let them do their jobs. The staff would rather you be happy and safe while enjoying your vacation.

Not happy about the new Thai place replacing Food Republic. Also not too happy about an entire restaurant dedicated just to vegetarian diners. That seems something better suited to a food truck in Indulge rather than an entire sit down place. I'm sure there's more veggie friendly folks than I think there are, but I seriously doubt it will be a place that appeals to >50% of the guests.

50 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I may be wrong, but I think the special vegetarian/vegan menu is only available on the Prima class ships.

We were on the Prima this past summer, and as I posted on an earlier reply in this thread, the waitstaff had no idea of what I was talking about when I asked for those menus for the next day.

57 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

Not happy about the new Thai place replacing Food Republic. Also not too happy about an entire restaurant dedicated just to vegetarian diners. That seems something better suited to a food truck in Indulge rather than an entire sit down place. I'm sure there's more veggie friendly folks than I think there are, but I seriously doubt it will be a place that appeals to >50% of the guests.

The Thai place isn't vegetarian, but I will miss Food Republic.  

Reading the article above, the vegetarian venue is one of the 'food trucks' in Indulge. It sounds like they are increasing from seven (on Prima) to ten venues on the new ship.  I'm hopeful that the other new venues they are adding to Indulge will give us some favorites from Food Republic and/or Shanghai menus from other ships.   

• Like 1

We were on Getaway in October last year. They had a veggie/vegan menu in the main dining room, which you definitely needed to ask for. It wasn't all that thrilling, there was a lot of repetition, plus only about 3 days worth of meals before they went back to the first menu, but it was nice to see, and great to have some additional choices.

I've been veggie for 40 years, and also have to be gluten-free, so always contact the access desk for NCL cruises, and always ask for all menus to be able to pre-order for the next day. Having the extra veggie/vegan menu gave me a little bit more choice (they're generally able to adapt a lot of meals to make them gluten free).

They definitely weren't forthcoming in offering these menus out though, was something you had to ask for.

• Like 1