Are All Deposits Now Not Refundable

8 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The deposit amounts for non-suite category staterooms are the same for NRD and refundable deposits. There has never been a difference in our experience booking both.  The fare rates are different.

Yeah but when my Cruise is $2269 with $450 down I'm not going pay another $1369 just to have Refundable

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah but when my Cruise is $2269 with $450 down I'm not going pay another $1369 just to have Refundable

Understand completely and that is always the consideration with refundable as the fares are indeed going to be higher. My point is the deposit is the same. 

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You cannot on suites.  JS and above are now always non refundable.  

Which type of cabins are typically available with group rates from TA`s ?

1 minute ago, loman said:

Which type of cabins are typically available with group rates from TA`s ?

It varies by ship but it is the categories with the largest number of coins.

On Oasis class for example it's 2D and 4D balconies as well as Central park and Boardwalk.  Oceanview 2N and 4N and then inside 2V and 4V.  

Some ships will have the 2E obstructed view and tje 2T Promenade and some have the 2B and 4B spacious balconies.  

All double occupancy cabins.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You cannot on suites.  JS and above are now always non refundable.  

When you go into the travel agent site and click "exclude non-refundable deposit fares" it give rates for suites. While staggering in price difference it does give refundable rates on suites.

On 5/8/2024 at 1:29 AM, Coralc said:

I know suites have been non-refundable for a while. Which would be a huge hit to the pocketbook. 

Only if you cancel?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bajathree said:

When you go into the travel agent site and click "exclude non-refundable deposit fares" it give rates for suites. While staggering in price difference it does give refundable rates on suites.

And if you have ever booked one doing that you would know that when you look at the invoice it is still non refundable.  Just one of the many quirks with espresso.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It varies by ship but it is the categories with the largest number of coins.

Coins? Equal cabins? 

Didnt know you ever got those unusual cabins as group rates. Let me know as I love those. 

On 5/8/2024 at 7:07 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Other than suites, you can still get refundable deposits. However, lately I have found the amount to be rather eye popping. RCI is definitely trying to push people into booking non-refundable. I wouldn't really mind non-refundable as I figure that another cruise is always in my future. However,  I'd don't agree with them then charging a "change fee" if something comes up and you need to make a change before final payment is due. RCI wants to get people to book early and they also want the customer to assume all the risk of that early booking.

This just adds to the many reasons were branching out…..sad because we have made Royal cruises feel like family. ☹️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

And if you have ever booked one doing that you would know that when you look at the invoice it is still non refundable.  Just one of the many quirks with espresso.

No one would ever book one of those refundable rates with suites anyways.

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Like I said, despite people thinking they may be refundable, they aren't.

I understand ...what I'm saying if it was they still wouldn't book.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I understand ...what I'm saying if it was they still wouldn't book.

They might, which is why they stopped.  Even allowing a ridiculously high price would allow someone to tie up the cabin while they decided and then cancel and rebook at a lower nrd rate later.  Exactly what Royal is trying to prevent. 

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On Oasis class for example it's 2D and 4D balconies as well as Central park and Boardwalk.  Oceanview 2N and 4N and then inside 2V and 4V.  

Some ships will have the 2E obstructed view and tje 2T Promenade and some have the 2B and 4B spacious balconies.  

All double occupancy cabins.  

Exactly spot on--we've used TA rates for these categories on various RCCL ships the past 2 years. Not such a variance with Princess--seems the same direct or with TA. 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

.....would allow someone to tie up the cabin while they decided and then cancel and rebook at a lower nrd rate later.  Exactly what Royal is trying to prevent. 

Which clearly with the NRD with suites they have achieved.  But that is still an option with the non-suite categories with the refundable deposit fares.  

Just as a side note, the move to NRD was also a not so veiled price increase opportunity for RCCL.  Back when it was first initiated, we had several cruises booked with refundable deposits.  When the NRD was announced, we went back and did mock bookings of our booked cruises using NRD and almost to the dollar, the "new lower" NRD fare was the same as our original refundable deposits with which we had booked, and refundable was measurably higher.

Obviously moving forward the NRD was the lower fare resulting from the increase base to refundable.  But at the time it was a (not so) quiet way for them to raise fares with new bookings on existing itineraries with NRD replacing the refundable fares and refundable increased.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I have been able to book refundable suites but only when onboard. 

ETA: Correction, that was on Celebrity.

Edited by vjmatty
ETA
  • Like 1

We booked a refundable cruise last month for next year. The first time we had done this as we always go with the lower rate. The TA talked us into doing this as we got more cruise credits and don't have to pay a deposit till Dec. We are talking now about cancelling as we just got off Liberty of the Seas with covid. At our age just not sure its worth it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, cruisingjandb said:

We booked a refundable cruise last month for next year. The first time we had done this as we always go with the lower rate. The TA talked us into doing this as we got more cruise credits and don't have to pay a deposit till Dec.

How did booking a refundable deposit give you more cruise credits?  By cruise credits do you mean OBC?  It sounds like your TA booked you into a type of group rate that likely includes some amount of OBC and a refundable deposit that is deferred. Those types of programs are not uncommon - we are booked into two cruises like that currently.

But if that is the case that wasn't the result of booking a refundable deposit, it is the result of the group program into which they booked you.

Booking with refundable rate in of itself provides no other benefit other than the flexibility of changing or cancelling the booking prior to final payment without penalty.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Yes your right OBC. Just what the TA told us. Wife ended up in the hospital and stayed 3 days, she doesn't even remember the ride there. The bad is we just turned diamond last year and this was our fourth cruise with the perks.  We will wait before we cancel as we will wait and see if we feel different about it later.

46 minutes ago, cruisingjandb said:

Yes your right OBC. Just what the TA told us. Wife ended up in the hospital and stayed 3 days, she doesn't even remember the ride there. The bad is we just turned diamond last year and this was our fourth cruise with the perks.  We will wait before we cancel as we will wait and see if we feel different about it later.

Sounds like you have time, even if you go ahead with the eventual deposit, and clearly will not be penalized with a cancelation as long as it is before final payment.

Hope your wife recovers fully and can decide to go and enjoy the cruise.