Best things to do, excursions, on ABC Islands?

This is actually for a friend.

If they book a Princess cruise, Southern Caribbean ABC Islands,  what are some of the best things to consider?

I know that this cruise is always highly recommended.  But, hope to be able to give them some more thoughts.

What different things make this itinerary so great!

If they are stopping in Bonaire, I highly recommend renting a golf cart and doing the two circuits of the island.  You can do each loop in a few hours (depends how many times and for how long you stop).  We did the southern loop in the morning, with stops at the salt flats, stop to snorkel with turtles, stop on the rugged coastline side, and one other stop (can't recall where).  Came back to the ship, ate lunch, then headed out for the northern loop (stopped at the 1000 steps, took a detour out to a lookout (just us and hundreds of lizards), stopped at a church in a small town).  We were back in plenty of time.  Was a great day.  Private excursion.  (You can google Bonaire cruisers for rates and reservations, but this does fill up)

Curacao - Another kind of D-I-Y plan.  Rent a car from advantage auto rentals (google them).  Good company and they meet you right at the gate to the port with your car.  We went to Hato caves (saves lots of money to pay the entrance fee yourself over a ship excursion), then we went out to one of the beaches to snorkel with turtles.  Then we went to Playa Santa Cruz (I think) and booked the private excursion out to snorkel the blue room - You won't regret this if you are a decent swimmer.  Captain Goodlife runs a very reasonable excursion out there.  Finally we drove over to the Shete Boca National park to see the rugged waves crashing the shore (they were closing - it was around 330pm - just means park outside the parking lot gate and walk an extra 50 paces - and not have to pay the entrance fee).  Very worthwhile.  This itinerary was perhaps the best single day we have ever spent in the Caribbean.

• Like 3

Agree, in Bonaire reserve a golf cart from Bonairecruisers.com. You can visit all the dame sites tours visit at your own pace. Bring along water. No water available along the routes.

Aruba has some nice beaches if that is what they like.

The main street of Curacao is beautiful. Walk over from the ship crossing the pontoon bridge. Warning. The bridge opens frequently. When open there is a small ferry that takes you across the channel, but it's slower than just walking across the bridge. Make certain to allow enough time to return to the ship.

If you want a beach day, I'd recommend taking the ferry to klein bonaine. You can walk to the ferry from the ship, no amenities so you'll need your own blanket and (maybe?) source of shade. Best beach in Bonaire by a a factor of 1000. 

• Like 1

Does your friend snorkel? We had the BEST snorkel trip (twice!) with Woodwind in Bonaire. You can book it independently, and walk to where they leave from. They go around Klein Bonaire, no worries about getting back to the ship on time 😉

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

Does your friend snorkel? We had the BEST snorkel trip (twice!) with Woodwind in Bonaire. You can book it independently, and walk to where they leave from. They go around Klein Bonaire, no worries about getting back to the ship on time 😉

I just booked with them for my August cruise. I love that company! This will be my 6th time with them. $85 from 9 am to 2, including gear, guide, lunch and drinks - alcoholic (after you're done snorkeling) and non-alcoholic. Two snorkel sites. They even offer masks with vision correction (readers). Short walk to the catamaran 

• Like 3

And don't forget their photographer (at least I hope they still have one). On our first trip, he got a shot of me with a sea turtle about 4 feet away - of course I bought the flash drive!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WisCruiser2 said:

And don't forget their photographer (at least I hope they still have one). On our first trip, he got a shot of me with a sea turtle about 4 feet away - of course I bought the flash drive!

They did when I went 12/30/2023

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 1:32 PM, WisCruiser2 said:

Another vote for Woodwind. I've used them twice. And yes, they are the best!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks everyone!   We are seeing some great options.  

I remembered a trip report here from Aruba with a private option, if they are lucky enough to be able to book.  I remembered seeing a great trip report for that, and so glad I did.    🌺 🦩🦩🌺

So, that and seeing Eagle Beach.      🌴  🏖️ 🌴 

A couple of good options for Bonaire too!  

Maybe Woodwind, or going to one place on their own.   🐟🐠🐡🐙

Looks like Curacao is the one where it is taking some time to find the best thing to go with!.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Curacao - there are a number of beaches, we went to Blue Bay resort one time and enjoyed it. The SeaAquarium is not too far from the port. Or just walk around Willemstad, we prefer the Punda side...

As someone noted above, check (or have your friends check) the Curacao board in the Ports of Call forum, I'm sure they'll come up with something!

On 5/25/2024 at 2:14 PM, 1025cruise said:

I would suggest researching on the ports of call boards.

I've been wondering about ports.  We're on 14-day Circle Caribbean in December.  How do I drill down to the Board area where ports are discussed?  (I love the info that's available on CC, but there's so MUCH that I know I'm missing things.)  Thank you!

Just to agree with others' recommendations: in Bonaire we have snorkeled with Woodwind twice and rented the golf carts once.  If you rent a golf cart don't miss the Donkey Sanctuary.  In Aruba we rented the trikes.  In Curacao we did a Princess excursion to the caves followed by a walking tour.  We would do all of those excursions again except the latter (only because we've seen Willemstad twice now and once was enough for the caves).