Good reminder not to share your travel info on the internet

1 hour ago, Moriah said:

And a related subject - for all the years I've been on CC, it never fails that on a roll call thread there is someone posting his or her cabin number on their upcoming cruise.  I sincerely hope this has never led to any mishap, but it certainly has such potential. 

Yeah.  Crazy to do that.

I've also seen people post on CC how much cash they are taking on their cruise.

$$$ + cabin number = disaster and/or stupidity.

(and they're the first to blame Carnival when their money is missing)

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Moriah said:

And a related subject - for all the years I've been on CC, it never fails that on a roll call thread there is someone posting his or her cabin number on their upcoming cruise.  I sincerely hope this has never led to any mishap, but it certainly has such potential. 

Yeah.  Crazy to do that.

I've also seen people post on CC how much cash they are taking on their cruise.

$$$ + cabin number = disaster and/or stupidity.

(and they're the first to blame Carnival when their money is missing).

Edited by sgttami
delete

I have a slightly different take on this situation. Sure - posting sensitive info online isn't uber bright and, yes, someone took advantage of that to cancel their reservation. But - didn't Carnival resell that suite? Isn't that why the couple couldn't get their cabin back? If Carnival did, indeed, sell (even if someone "won" a purchased upgrade, etc.) that cabin, it benefitted more as a result. I'm not saying that Carnival did anything "wrong." I'm just saying that, in this unfortunate situation, it appears Carnival didn't (and won't) lose any revenue if it gives the couple a full FCC, etc. Again, I don't know all of the particulars but this was a very unfortunate circumstance all around. But if Carnival benefitted in any way from it (additional revenue, etc.), I don't think that's right.

• Like 1

@ChutChut Carnival did offer her a $10,000 credit, which is probably the cost of the suite. She was out money because of flights and other things. So it sounds like they tried, but she said she would never sail on Carnival.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

@ChutChut Carnival did offer her a $10,000 credit, which is probably the cost of the suite. She was out money because of flights and other things. So it sounds like they tried, but she said she would never sail on Carnival.

That's good to hear. Thank you for the details.

• Like 4

While I feel sorry for the family, I can see Carnival being very cautious about giving credits for the full value.  If that become the norm, what is there to stop someone with no cancellation insurance intentionally doing something similar when they need to do an unplanned, late cancellation.  As soon as someone books that cabin they complain and get a credit 

• Like 9

I just watched an interview with her and she says she is looking for monetary compensation to include all her related expenses for the trip and a public apology from Carnival. She expressed that she no longer wanted to book a cruise vacation with any cruise line at all right now, citing trust issues. Was this their first ever cruise? Also, I have a suspicion that, if indeed the cancelling party did get her booking number from Facebook, they are either the people who turned around and booked the cabin,, or they know who did.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Waynetor said:

While I feel sorry for the family, I can see Carnival being very cautious about giving credits for the full value.  If that become the norm, what is there to stop someone with no cancellation insurance intentionally doing something similar when they need to do an unplanned, late cancellation.  As soon as someone books that cabin they complain and get a credit 

Carnival offered a full cruise credit for what she lost on the cruise.  She refused wanting more to pay for the other vacation they scrambled to take at the last minute.  Part of me can't help but wonder if it was deliberate to get her 15 mins of fame.  This happened over a week ago and people are still talking about it which is giving her page tons of hits.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There are cruiselines that require a phone call to cancel a cruise. I know NCL does for sure.

I thought it was a pain to have to do that.

It may be more of a deterent, more to trace if something like this happens, albeit not perfect.

They are victims of a crime. Why are people blaming the victims? We have all done things that we could possibly end up being a victim just because. That is for a different discussion.

Be safe all! 😎

• Like 4

12 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Wouldn't be a HIPPA violation if you posted your own healthcare info. Only applies to third parties. 

It only applies to 3rd parties who are your "healthcare provider". Your neighbor down the street can blab your healthcare info all they want.

• Like 2

It was foolish for the people involved to post anything on social media about their vacation - even if it was accidental.  Carnival gave them back $10,000.  Their port taxes, gratuities if prepaid, excursions, drink packages - whatever they pre-purchased -  would all have gone back to however they paid for them when cruise was cancelled.  We have a pin associated with our CCL bookings.  We don't use it when our pvp handles things - but if - for some reason- I have to call CCL general number about an excursion, etc. - they always ask for my pin.  Just an added layer of protection. We have had to cancel 2 CCL cruises due to illness over the years.  Have always gotten an email confirming the cancellation.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, aborgman said:

It only applies to 3rd parties who are your "healthcare provider". Your neighbor down the street can blab your healthcare info all they want.

Right but that could implicate invasion of privacy-type torts (such as publication of private facts, etc.). 

3 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Right but that could implicate invasion of privacy-type torts (such as publication of private facts, etc.). 

Yes, assuming your state has such a tort (In NY, there is no actionable legal claim for public disclosure of private facts) and you can show damages.

5 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Yes, assuming your state has such a tort (In NY, there is no actionable legal claim for public disclosure of private facts) and you can show damages.

Ahhh - good to know. We do have that tort in Florida.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Moriah said:

Add to that the individuals who post public links to spreadsheets or other documents that contain private information about a roll call: full names, city of residence, email, cabin numbers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Ahhh - good to know. We do have that tort in Florida.

Then that would be breaking a state law, not the federal HIPPA law.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:20 PM, shof515 said:

on facebook, you can adjust your settings so only certain people can all of your information,some or none at all. you can also do the same thing for the things you post . people need to learn how to post thing only for the people they want. for some odd annoying reason, the default settings when posting something is Public. i always have mine to various customs list i created so only the people who i actually really really know in real life can see what i post

thats all true for anyone with good intentions - only the people you allow to see your info, can see your info.

but...  once you post ANYTHING on social media ANYWHERE, it becomes a part of that systems data set and anyone with ill intentions can hack in and get access.  You should never post anything on any social media platform that you do not want to be publicly accessable.

some of those stupid little games that people play (if there's any sort of link or any interactions with the game systems at all) can be enough to give access to your device and all of it's information / content.

if you access your social media platforms from an unsecured wifi connection, that too can open you up for someone else to get in and get your information.

it's not as simple as making sure your settings are adjusted for privacy, unfortunately.

• Thanks 2

I don’t really understand why someone would cancel someone else’s cruise like was described here.  Did the person who canceled the cruise receive a refund from Carnival somehow?  Was it an acquaintance of the cruiser with a big axe to grind?  Wouldn’t the individual that canceled the cruse want to get some benefit from doing so?  What would that benefit be?  Thanks,

Tim

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aborgman said:

Yes, that's called Freedom of Speech.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlanoTim said:

I don’t really understand why someone would cancel someone else’s cruise like was described here.  Did the person who canceled the cruise receive a refund from Carnival somehow?  Was it an acquaintance of the cruiser with a big axe to grind?  Wouldn’t the individual that canceled the cruse want to get some benefit from doing so?  What would that benefit be?  Thanks,

Tim

Whoever canceled the cruise was probably just being spiteful or jealous. I don't know how much social media you use, but it's mind blowing how much hatred there is.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Cruisercl said:

There are cruiselines that require a phone call to cancel a cruise. I know NCL does for sure.

I thought it was a pain to have to do that.

It may be more of a deterent, more to trace if something like this happens, albeit not perfect.

They are victims of a crime. Why are people blaming the victims? We have all done things that we could possibly end up being a victim just because. That is for a different discussion.

Be safe all! 😎

I've canceled an NCL cruise online.  I didn't have to call in. Had a better deal on Carnival come up.

If she would accept some responsibility for her actions it would be one thing, but she is saying(at least was saying, I haven't kept up over the last week since this originally dropped), that it was all 100% on Carnival despite HER posting the booking information and then having ALL of her personal information needed to create a fake account clearly posted on her Facebook profile.  

Edited by vwrestler171
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1