How is Big Chicken?

10 minutes ago, weezal said:

you may want to check out the funtimes, for food venue hours, because big chicken doesn't open at night

Good call.  I'll check.  Guys Burgers closes early too.  I'll have to check everyday.  It's sad that we may plan our days around food venues.  🙂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Host CMLA said:

Good call.  I'll check.  Guys Burgers closes early too.  I'll have to check everyday.  It's sad that we may plan our days around food venues.  🙂

If memory serves, street eats is only afternoons

• Like 2

Host CMLA, it is NEVER sad to plan your day around food venues!!  I use cruise critic to learn about options for drinks, food and fun.  This is what I love about cruising with Carnival.  The lunch options are amazing and require planning.  The "fun" part is planning how we are going to get from comedy to the Love & Marriage show in less than five minutes.  We are booked on the Jubilee in December and because of the pictures on cruise critic, I can't wait to be served the drink with the giant bubble.  Cheers! will be a must for us.

• Like 6

I have been to the free standing Big Chicken restaurants in Las Vegas.  Yes, the chicken AND the french fries are really that good.  One thing that probably did NOT make the ship is their STUBBORN craft sodas that are one of the most unique flavors I have experienced.

• Like 2

We enjoyed their sandwiches and tenders but especially the fries! I would recommend for lunch. For breakfast, the omelette was good (just cheese and egg though), the biscuit not so much.

• Like 1

The chicken is good, but, those fries are addicting!! SO GOOD!!  Also, the omelet line in Lido is super long in the mornings, and I really like the 3 cheese omelet at Big Chicken - the line is much shorter, and it is cooked perfectly, they cook them too brown for me in the Lido!  Speaking of the line, sometimes the line at Big Chicken is really long, but, they do a good job of keeping it moving!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We really enjoyed the chicken and fries as a lunch option. The fries are the best!! And all the dipping sauces, yum!!

The breakfast sandwich was dry and I think it's mainly the biscuit. On our cruise, the couple times we tried them, they were lukewarm and dry. Will give them another try someday. Maybe we just had bad luck.

34 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I should also mention that Shaq is unlikely to be there.  🙂

Huh, I thought Shaq, Guy and Emeril would be doing the cooking and serving.  Probably Rudi is the hold up on that one….

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

I should also mention that Shaq is unlikely to be there.  🙂

December 2022 on the Celebration... Shaq... (*** I didn't take these, it was someone else on board on embarkation day. He was only on board about an hour or two)

Screenshot_20221205-155927.thumb.png.0b23dcb91ca41ad69f95b828451bf866.png

Screenshot_20221205-155952.thumb.png.e1bfb5711651ccc676e3667bb981af77.png

Screenshot_20221205-160006.thumb.png.68092e5c7bef79c578200e44f6130ad9.png

Screenshot_20221205-160018.thumb.png.42d0e9acae30a11341bd285b3325e740.png

Screenshot_20221205-160032.png

• Like 6

I guess I'm in the minority, but I did not care for Big Chicken at all. Found it to be dry and tasteless. However, I understand that food choices are subjective and have no doubt others find it enjoyable, which I like for them. To each their own.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

I guess I'm in the minority, but I did not care for Big Chicken at all. Found it to be dry and tasteless. However, I understand that food choices are subjective and have no doubt others find it enjoyable, which I like for them. To each their own.

I'm a huge fan of Big Chicken - however, they were having an off week in December on our Celebration cruise. The chicken tenders were a bit dry and overcooked. A few weeks later, I saw Megan's pictures from the Tribe cruise on Celebration and they looked much better! All other times we had Big Chicken on Mardi Gras, everything was delicious. I usually get the fries and tenders and no sauce - they're just that good. And I love sauces, but my chicken didn't need any. I'm counting the days to our September MG cruise and Big Chicken will definitely be my embarkation lunch. (Just say no to the hockey puck biscuits!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have gone and gotten the fingers and added it to a salad from Lido.  Yum

Why have i never thought of this?? GENIUS!!!! 

• Like 5

Another vote for Big Chicken. I was not a fan of the biscuits at all (I like big, fluffy, flaky biscuits), but the chicken fingers and chicken sandwiches were delicious. And the fries! SOOOO much better than Guy's. 

• Like 4

Shaq's is great! Good quality that could compete with chicken places on land (in fact it *is* a land based franchise that is expanding). I don't love their fries, but that's a personal thing as I prepare thicker cut fries vs thin and crispy.

• Like 3

I can also recommend their grilled chicken, if you are tired of friend chicken, or like my son is allergic to dairy (in the breading of the fried chicken). You have to ask for it, but it was flavorful and juicy. Loved the fries. Best on the ship IMO (although the tots from Street eats are darn tasty too).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pyrate13 said:

Yes, to each their own. There's stuff other people love that I would never eat again.  🤷‍♀️  Thanks for your feedback. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

Another vote for Big Chicken. I was not a fan of the biscuits at all (I like big, fluffy, flaky biscuits), but the chicken fingers and chicken sandwiches were delicious. And the fries! SOOOO much better than Guy's. 

That's a big statement because I'm a huge fan of Guy's french fries.  Five days until I can try these fries!!!

• Like 3

The fries are so yummy. 😋 We enjoyed the chicken strips as well. 

When we sailed on the Radiance, I liked to get a burger from Guys, and compliment that with fries from Shaq’s. Perfect combo … in my opinion. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dctravel said:

I can also recommend their grilled chicken, if you are tired of friend chicken, or like my son is allergic to dairy (in the breading of the fried chicken). You have to ask for it, but it was flavorful and juicy. Loved the fries. Best on the ship IMO (although the tots from Street eats are darn tasty too).

Wait, what?  They have grilled chicken?  C'mon March, so I can try that!!

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Host CMLA said:

Is it worth having it as a meal or is it recommended for a snack but save my appetite for the restaurants?  My teenage son is looking forward to Big Chicken more than any other restaurant but I want to manage expectations.  Thanks!

I'm the only person I know that does not really care for it.  Might have it once in a 10-14 day cruise, but that is it.  EVERYONE else LOVES it evidently.  (be sure to go by and see Shaq's handprint on the wall walking back into the interior of the ship.  This guy is a MONSTER!!!!  His handprint is 2 X my hubby and he is 6'4", no small guy!!!!!)

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

If memory serves, street eats is only afternoons

I had to laugh when I read your comments.  I have to tell you, my hubby and I have discussed Carnival could save a FORTUNE in food cost by extending Guy's Burger hours!!!!!  LOL

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Debe7ing said:

I had to laugh when I read your comments.  I have to tell you, my hubby and I have discussed Carnival could save a FORTUNE in food cost by extending Guy's Burger hours!!!!!  LOL

might be right, but those poor slobs working the grills need a break from cooking with all that grease floating around.

Edited by jimbo5544