Infinite Veranda question

Bxc53

Posted (edited)

I know that there have been many reviews and discussions on the IV, but after a couple hrs searching, I didn't find a definite answer.

So: Will the cabin A/C work with the drop down window open AND the folding panel closed?

Thanks

Edited by Bxc53
Poor typing skills…

No, if the window is open, the AC goes off. The folding doors seem to be purely decorative, and don’t obscure light either. We didn’t bother using them.

As we were cruising in Northern Europe, we mainly closed the window when it got too cold! Only once did it get too hot, when we were facing the sun for a few hours, so we closed the window and let the AC cool the room down. 
But if you are hoping to sit in the ‘balcony’ section and keep the AC on by closing the folding door screens, that won’t work.

I gather one person might want to sit in the “veranda” area with the window open, while the other person wants to keep the air con on inside the cabin?

Posted (edited)
Just now, Port Power said:

I gather one person might want to sit in the “veranda” area with the window open, while the other person wants to keep the air con on inside the cabin?

The person who wants the A/C on while the window is down is in for a disappointment.  Keeping the folding doors closed may help prevent abrupt temperature changes but that is about it.

Edited by d9704011

Thanks for the replies. We are looking at a Honolulu to Sydney cruise next year, so hot and humid is a sure bet.

Follow up question: How fast does the AC cool after the window is closed?

I know this is an “It depends” situation but looking for a general impression.

1 hour ago, Bxc53 said:

I know that there have been many reviews and discussions on the IV, but after a couple hrs searching, I didn't find a definite answer.

So: Will the cabin A/C work with the drop down window open AND the folding panel closed?

Thanks

Based on concierge class 11177 on edge you cannot have window open and panel closed. 

54 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Sorry but all anyone can say is “it depends”

Fair enough, but I was hoping for say, 10 minutes, an hour, or go to the cool lounge and have a few 😎

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bxc53 said:

Fair enough, but I was hoping for say, 10 minutes, an hour, or go to the cool lounge and have a few 😎

If it has gotten very hot & humid inside the cabin it will take awhile.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bxc53 said:

Thanks for the replies. We are looking at a Honolulu to Sydney cruise next year, so hot and humid is a sure bet.

What is the outside air temperature and humidity? What is the inside air temperature and humidity? What is your target temperature? How many degrees lower than the current inside temperature is it? Is your stateroom on the Sunny side or the protected side? How many heat producing devices are you using?  

Given all these factors I would say that the answer is not predictable.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

Based on concierge class 11177 on edge you cannot have window open and panel closed. 

Why not? Will the panel not close if the window is open? That seems odd.

14 minutes ago, RichYak said:

When I tried to close the panel with the window open,  on the app,  the button on the wall, and the touch pad.  Both touch pad and app said to close window first. 

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

You can certainly have the doors closed while on the veranda, but you’ll probably have to have them facing each other. The veranda area is quite small and to face the sea would make you feel like a sardine being smashed inside of a can. 

1 minute ago, ScottC4746 said:

When I tried to close the panel with the window open,  on the app,  the button on the wall, and the touch pad.  Both touch pad and app said to close window first. 

Oh my bad, I thought you were talking about the bifold doors. This makes more sense.

On hot weather cruises the only times we'd leave the window down for any extended period of time was when we were immediately afterward heading out of the room so it would have at least a couple of hours to cool down before we returned.  You definitely don't want to leave it open, have the room get up to 80 plus degrees and then try to shower and get ready for dinner. 

9 hours ago, Bxc53 said:

The chairs look so uncomfortable- low backed, low to the ground and with no recline -  I can't imagine anyone sitting in them for long enough to enjoy the window being open so the cabin might not have enough time to get very hot/cold. 

15 hours ago, the penguins said:

The chairs look so uncomfortable- low backed, low to the ground and with no recline -  I can't imagine anyone sitting in them for long enough to enjoy the window being open so the cabin might not have enough time to get very hot/cold. 

The chairs which were like patio table chairs, we found were pretty comfortable.  In the CS staterooms, there is a round hassock across from the sofa that can be used.  Really only big enough for one pair of feet though.

8 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

The chairs which were like patio table chairs, we found were pretty comfortable.  In the CS staterooms, there is a round hassock across from the sofa that can be used.  Really only big enough for one pair of feet though.

On a typical sea day we use the balcony for 3 to 4 hours a day (we cruise mainly Transatlantics) including having our lunch out there. My wife has mobility/ pain issues and clearly the chairs which have no neck/back support and no recline are not suitable for us. Add to that the tiny table and the lack of space for 2 footstools and you have at least 3 reasons why we will never book an IV cabin. Suites of any sort are beyond our budget.

7 hours ago, the penguins said:

On a typical sea day we use the balcony for 3 to 4 hours a day (we cruise mainly Transatlantics) including having our lunch out there. My wife has mobility/ pain issues and clearly the chairs which have no neck/back support and no recline are not suitable for us. Add to that the tiny table and the lack of space for 2 footstools and you have at least 3 reasons why we will never book an IV cabin. Suites of any sort are beyond our budget.

We were in an Aqua sky suite on Beyond and had those same chairs on our balcony.  

14 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

We were in an Aqua sky suite on Beyond and had those same chairs on our balcony.  

Thanks. Suites are completely out of our price range. 
Nothing will get us on an E Class ship. S class is our number 1 choice. Only time will tell if X’s next generation of ships will revert to real balconies and sensible seating but I still expect S class to survive long after we have stopped cruising.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, the penguins said:

Thanks. Suites are completely out of our price range. 
Nothing will get us on an E Class ship. S class is our number 1 choice. Only time will tell if X’s next generation of ships will revert to real balconies and sensible seating but I still expect S class to survive long after we have stopped cruising.

Actually, I got the suite thru a minimum move up bid.  This was second of B2B on the Beyond.  Had an IV booked for for both.  OMG - loved the outside retreat area with separate pool and the entire Retreat area. Cabin was wonderful.  Luminae was the only less than great part.  However, that said, we are splurging and after securing SV for B2B on the Ascent in Feb, 2026, moved to suite as a birthday celebration for me.  Never thought I would spend my money for this. 

While a SV is a bit more - I highly recommend it on the E Class.  Did a TA on Apex with SV and while weather was not ideal, cabin is deeper as was our veranda.  

May never do an IV again - especially in a hot climate.  S class is good for me with true verandas.  Also, I don't think I would spend the money for a suite on any other class of ship as does not seem to have the same experience as the E class.  

On 6/7/2024 at 6:47 PM, WestLakeGirl said:

What is the outside air temperature and humidity? What is the inside air temperature and humidity? What is your target temperature? How many degrees lower than the current inside temperature is it? Is your stateroom on the Sunny side or the protected side? How many heat producing devices are you using?  

Given all these factors I would say that the answer is not predictable.

Looking for general feedback…Doesn’t take much to oblige…

Ask a simple question…🤷🏼

Edited by blue_water