Carnival Corporation Orders Three Additional Ships for Carnival Cruise Line, Introducing a New Class of Ships

12 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

Glad someone mentioned this, 30 Billion in debt having to live on a credit card through COVID and they have financing for these new ships.

What, is Royal doing the financing?  😄 

12 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

Glad someone mentioned this, 30 Billion in debt having to live on a credit card through COVID and they have financing for these new ships.

As long as an entity demonstrates that it is capable of paying off existing debt in an on-going manner, and that additional debt will bring in additional revenue with targeted numbers to pay off that new debt, of course the lenders are going to back it.

If their debt was growing without revenue growing, then I would expect the lenders to say "no, not now".

On 7/24/2024 at 8:47 AM, ProgRockCruiser said:

Would it be a scaled-up design of the Sphere class?  Because those ships aren't nearly big enough in their current design to match the specs stated by Carnival about the new class.

A sphere class ramped up to the size of Oasis class.

20 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

They were 30+ billion in debt.  The operative item in the sentence is were.

2 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They were 30+ billion in debt.  The operative item in the sentence is were.

No doubt banks will finance it when they see the business case behind it. 

But as of May 2024, the debt was 30.65 Billion. At least its trending in the right direction.

https://companiesmarketcap.com/carnival-cruise-line/total-debt/#:~:text=Total debt on the balance,current and non-current debts.

10 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

Carnival will take that will take that all day any day.

Pretty sure any line would, in these post covid days, it is a home run.

1 minute ago, longhorn2004 said:

No doubt banks will finance it when they see the business case behind it. 

But as of May 2024, the debt was 30.65 Billion. At least its trending in the right direction.

https://companiesmarketcap.com/carnival-cruise-line/total-debt/#:~:text=Total debt on the balance,current and non-current debts.

They have paid down debt by over 6 bill in the last year.  I would be surprised if that does not double.  Add to that a significantly better refinancing on a large portion (of the bad debt ie terrible rates) and their position is probably significantly better than anybody thought  they could possibly be in.

16 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I would wager Royal is approaching Carnivals debt structure

Yep - they're all digging deep. I guess you have to go big, or go home...

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

smaller than????

All I know is my brother's, roommate's, cousin went on a cruise a few months ago, and the cabin was huge. I expect to get the square footage I PAID for.

2 hours ago, jeblack1 said:

that is correct....I think Carnival used to have an itinerary that left from San Juan, and spent a day in each island and if my memory serves correctly, you would then start another cruise in reverse.

I went on such a cruise around 2018. It was my favorite itinerary ever. However, this one would not start a cruise in reverse after. It did pick up and drop off people in Barbados mid-cruise. I found that to be interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

All I know is my brother's, roommate's, cousin went on a cruise a few months ago, and the cabin was huge. I expect to get the square footage I PAID for.

I went on such a cruise around 2018. It was my favorite itinerary ever. However, this one would not start a cruise in reverse after. It did pick up and drop off people in Barbados mid-cruise. I found that to be interesting. 

Thr Barbados embarkation was targeted at those coming from Europe. There are threads on here about some of the unique experiences related to that on the San Juan turnaround days.

6 hours ago, DanJ said:

In Royal Caribbean's case, they are doing the 2 stops at Coco Cay because they have dropped their other private port of Labadee until they feel the political situation in Haiti has improved. If something happens at Coco Cay, then they'd have to work on something else,  but odds are that would be a couple weeks of switched up itineraries at most. Ports getting knocked out of commission for long periods is pretty rare, it's amazing to me how quickly some of these places can bounce back after a major storm goes through. 

Maybe rare, bur it happens. Hurricane Wilma and Cozumel. Hurricane Dean and Costa Maya. Hurricane Ivan and Grand Cayman. When you have ships that aren't designed to tender you are in trouble.

Maybe of the islands bounce back quickly because they use better construction to begin with, and when something is destroyed, they try to build it better and not just rebuild the same.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

As long as an entity demonstrates that it is capable of paying off existing debt in an on-going manner, and that additional debt will bring in additional revenue with targeted numbers to pay off that new debt, of course the lenders are going to back it.

If their debt was growing without revenue growing, then I would expect the lenders to say "no, not now".

When I started at Intel in 1998 - our main competitor had not had a single profitable QUARTER in 18 years. Investors were still propping them up.

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

IT is amazing to me they would have the guts to take people back to the place they just left.

For short 3 or 4 day cruises, I'm not necessarily cruising to see new things. For me, I'm going to relax and spend time at the beach. Two port stops at CocoCay or HMC or eventually Celebration Key for a 3 or 4 day cruise would be great for me! Makes things easier, and likely cheaper, to go to their private island twice. Going to say Nassau or San Juan, I'd be forking out $ or an excursion, cab rides, etc. Do I want to do those things too, of course, but I don't need to for a short cruise.

For the short cruise like that you're really only giving up a sea day to be at the beach. So for me it's 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

IT is amazing to me they would have the guts to take people back to the place they just left.

Disney does it and charges extra for itineraries that stop twice on the same cruise. MSC also does stops that overnight at their private island.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

Disney does it and charges extra for itineraries that stop twice on the same cruise. MSC also does stops that overnight at their private island.

they would not get me to pay for it twice, let alone once.

Edited by jimbo5544

2 hours ago, mikayla73 said:

For short 3 or 4 day cruises, I'm not necessarily cruising to see new things. For me, I'm going to relax and spend time at the beach. Two port stops at CocoCay or HMC or eventually Celebration Key for a 3 or 4 day cruise would be great for me! Makes things easier, and likely cheaper, to go to their private island twice. Going to say Nassau or San Juan, I'd be forking out $ or an excursion, cab rides, etc. Do I want to do those things too, of course, but I don't need to for a short cruise.

For the short cruise like that you're really only giving up a sea day to be at the beach. So for me it's 6 of one 1/2 doz of the other.

Different strokes for different folks.  All good with me, not for me, but fine with others enjoying it.

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Don't you always get what you paid for?

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

To reinforce that the Caribbean will be dominated by mega liners and that it will be dominated by private islands and line owned ports, RCCL's new 2nd largest cruise ship in the world (only a little less ugly than Oasis) Utopia, is doing 3 and 4 day cruises and adding two stops to their private island on the same cruise.  If this does not set the bar, then I do not know what will.

Utopia's 3 day itinerary is either Coco Cay and Nassau or Coco Cay and a sea day.  Utopia's 4 day itinerary is Coco Cay, Nassau, and a sea day.  There is exactly ONE 4 day cruise (Feb. 3, 2025) that eliminates the sea day and has 2 stops at Coco Cay.  This is all cruises scheduled through April 2026. A quick scan of Carnival's 3 and 4 day cruises shows that they going to Celebration Key or Celebration Key and Nassau. I don't see that there is much difference there. I guess time will tell if people get tired of the same old thing. You won't see me on any of them.  I only do longer cruises.      

• Like 1