The “entitled” vs the crew

2 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

Or, as Sartre opined:  "Hell is--other people."  

Personal opinion: Sometimes.  

GOARMY!

ILL give you a GO ARMY!!  If you will give me a ROLL TIDE!!!🥃

8 hours ago, DaveFr said:

As Charlie Chaplin said: “It isn’t the ups and downs that make life difficult; it’s the jerks.”

Dave

I used to think that karma was real and valid.  Then I got older and saw that cream doesn't actually rise to the top.....rather a-holes kick, scream and claw their way to the top, on the backs of good people. I just celebrated my 10 year misanthrope-iversary. 🤨

I always have and always will follow the golden rule...do unto others as you would have others do unto you.  

• Like 7

Love traveling on Regent and yes I have meet some travelers with very bad manners,I think we ca make small steps by removing the name butler which seems inappropriate ,I would never refer anyone as my butler ,I feel Regent should get rid of that word .

Whinehowine: 

Offer a ray of hope as to karma--as this particular Thead has just-about run out of useful twine.  

Karma does go around and sometimes back in unexpected ways. This ties into KanzSailing's #23 Thread entry as to Deck Chairs.

Yet-again, those confounding Chairs. There is a history here, as CC Threads over the last 10-12 years have dwelt on boorish behavior concerning same. I have provided entries based on personal observation. One very-up close.   

Cutting to the chase:  Several years ago (seems like an eternity due to COVID) on Voyager observed two guys get into a shouting match; followed by shoving/screaming; followed by exchange of blows and falling to Deck 11 Pool Deck continuing the altercation. Spouses screaming at each other, which did NOT contribute to de-escalation. Deck attendants, and then a Staff Officer responded.

Issue, for whatever it was worth: leaving a personal item in an unoccupied Deck Chair for a significant period of time. Yep, really significant.  

Result: Parties separated and removed from the area.  What followed was a methodical fact-finding process.  Series of public announcements for anyone observing this matter to report same to Ship's Officer ASAP.

Which I did. 

Later that PM:  Captain reiterates this by a public announcement. (Which is highly unusual when not related to a pending weather situation requiring immediate passenger action.)   He would welcome anyone to come directly to him with information.

Already did that.  

Next day. Captain comes on with the normal Noon Announcement as to where Voyager was; where we were headed; and sea conditions.  THEN--

The two individuals involved in yesterday's fracas had been confined to their respective Suites.  They would remain there until Voyager's arrival at the next Port with an airport.  At which point, the miscreants would be offloaded to find their way back to whenever they came from--at their own expense.  

And--they would not be permitted to book a future cruise segment on any Regent ship.

Small steps to contribute to future cruisers' comfort. Passengers' conduct does have repercussions. 

-----

Note to Jim A and mrlevin as to your latest Posts:  Eschewed the !. in mine. Will not continue same in future CC postings.  My Washington Huskies' football team will not be able to keep pace during the 2024-2025 season with either 'Bama or Auburn.  

Guys:  Hope we can meet in the near future on 2025 Grandeur and Explorer segments.  I will buy the first round.  

Best to all, and Calm Seas and peaceful sailings--

GOARMY

• Like 2

Hello shuguley! 
We just got off from that cruise and I can assure the crew is phenomenal. I do have to add a small criticism about debarking. While I completely understand the need to get the previous cruisers off the ship, standing in line, in the rain was pretty uncomfortable. Passengers had to pass through a tent where the luggage was but off loading folks onto a very slow moving line in the rain could have probably been avoided. Perhaps announcing the baggage Colors/numbers a bit more slowly would have prevented people from getting soaked. Great cruise, all in all but a rather soggy ending.

2 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

Perhaps announcing the baggage Colors/numbers a bit more slowly would have prevented people from getting soaked.

I've always wondered (and this is true for all cruise lines) why they don't give you a tag that you show when disembarking that verifies your tag color or number has been called.  Seems it would hold people to their times and lessen the chaos in the luggage area. 

We had one friend who had a fairly later debarkation time from a Royal Caribbean ship in Miami a  number of years ago.  She and her husband simply felt.. "well we're not waiting" so off they went.  Problem was at the time the luggage was sorted in a closed area and put on a conveyor belt like at airports.  So when they got there, their luggage wasn't coming out, and when they asked an official they were sort of "scolded" for coming off the ship early and had to stand around until their time slot finally arrived.  So.. sometimes there is Karma. 🤣

• Like 2

3 hours ago, exlandlubber said:

Hello shuguley! 
We just got off from that cruise and I can assure the crew is phenomenal. I do have to add a small criticism about debarking. While I completely understand the need to get the previous cruisers off the ship, standing in line, in the rain was pretty uncomfortable. Passengers had to pass through a tent where the luggage was but off loading folks onto a very slow moving line in the rain could have probably been avoided. Perhaps announcing the baggage Colors/numbers a bit more slowly would have prevented people from getting soaked. Great cruise, all in all but a rather soggy ending.

Just got on, and I can see what you mean. Fair walk gangplank to tent and a fairly small tent. Oslo has been soggy yesterday and today. We dodged most of the rain today but yesterday was consistent rain. Enjoy the city anyway, it’s quite nice. 

On 9/1/2024 at 10:35 PM, DavidTheWonderer said:

In over 20 years of cruising, mostly but not exclusively with Regent, it seems that almost every cruise has at least one nasty entitled passenger.
Of course, the staff and reasonable passengers soon know who these people are, and share experiences.  Often nasty nicknames are coined. I particular remember "Bunny" and "Popeye".
Perhaps the nasty individuals are actually shills, hired by the cruise line to give the passengers added entertainment?

Please, hire me to do this!   My husband and I have been wedding changers, also!  

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DaveFr said:

As Charlie Chaplin said: “It isn’t the ups and downs that make life difficult; it’s the jerks.”

Dave

20 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Or, as Sartre opined:  "Hell is--other people."  

Personal opinion: Sometimes.  

GOARMY!

There's only one thing I hate about being a public figure: The Public.

- Rita Rudner

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ssdot said:

Love traveling on Regent and yes I have meet some travelers with very bad manners,I think we ca make small steps by removing the name butler which seems inappropriate ,I would never refer anyone as my butler ,I feel Regent should get rid of that word .

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the title "Butler".  Butlers have always been the creme de la creme, and it is a title to be proud of.  I can remember a time when wait staff all over Europe were wonderfully trained and dignified and proud of their jobs.  Why do we now consider all these occupations to be menial?  I certainly don't and I couldn't do what they do.  

• Like 12

2 hours ago, labonnevie said:

Just got on, and I can see what you mean. Fair walk gangplank to tent and a fairly small tent. Oslo has been soggy yesterday and today. We dodged most of the rain today but yesterday was consistent rain. Enjoy the city anyway, it’s quite nice. 

Off topic I know, but what hotel did you use in Oslo?  How was it?

We have been lucky to have sailed with Regent 15 times over the years. Every cruise has been made great, in part, by the outstanding crew. They are oh so professional and personable and caring for each and every passenger.  And yes, those few entitled passengers can be really shocking to watch and hear.  If I am near one of these talking mouths berating  a crew member, I go out of my way to go to the crew member and state that I am so proud of their behavior acting professional throughout the tirade. I tell them I know they can not respond in kind but tell them that I can talk back to the guest for them!  I say "let me know who is being nasty to you and I will take care of it". I always get a smile and they always say thanks". 

Oh and every single time I see/hear a nasty entitled person berate a crew member, the next day, they are on my tour bus.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Grand Hotel which was fine.  It was raining so we couldn't get out but the hotel is right downtown.

14 hours ago, GOARMY said:

Whinehowine: 

Offer a ray of hope as to karma--as this particular Thead has just-about run out of useful twine.  

Karma does go around and sometimes back in unexpected ways. This ties into KanzSailing's #23 Thread entry as to Deck Chairs.

GOARMY

Yes @GOARMY I'd (very happily) seen that post, thanks for reminding me that karma is still sporadically alive and well! 😉

Life is too short to either be or to suffer a-holes.   

3 hours ago, zak477 said:

We have been lucky to have sailed with Regent 15 times over the years. Every cruise has been made great, in part, by the outstanding crew. They are oh so professional and personable and caring for each and every passenger.  And yes, those few entitled passengers can be really shocking to watch and hear.  If I am near one of these talking mouths berating  a crew member, I go out of my way to go to the crew member and state that I am so proud of their behavior acting professional throughout the tirade. I tell them I know they can not respond in kind but tell them that I can talk back to the guest for them!  I say "let me know who is being nasty to you and I will take care of it". I always get a smile and they always say thanks". 

Amen and thank you for doing so.  Not sure what part of Jersey you're from, but up here in Bergen County there's a view held by many that their poop no longer stinks....if you know what I mean....😇

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Off topic I know, but what hotel did you use in Oslo?  

Highly recommend the Amerikalinen (sp?)  Convenient, comfortable and curious!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

Hotel Bristol. We would highly recommend it.

It is an historic old hotel with beautiful wood paneled public areas and updated hallways and rooms. The rooms are not spacious but certainly sufficient. They are the quietest rooms we have ever stayed in. We never once heard a door close, noise in the hall outside, housekeeping, etc. 

They include a huge breakfast buffet every morning. Staff is very helpful and location is good. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 1:01 PM, GMIAC said:

Actual words I overheard at breakfast at La Veranda in July: "You don't have to have an attitude with me. I saw you roll your eyes. Now get me some HOT coffee."

Reminds me of the 'lady' (and I use the term very loosely) who went off in Compass Rose because "They brought me the wrong spoon for my coffee.  What is wrong with people who don't know which spoon to bring with one's coffee!!"  At least one of her tablemates had the decency to try and look embarrassed for her.

On 9/1/2024 at 4:35 PM, DavidTheWonderer said:

In over 20 years of cruising, mostly but not exclusively with Regent, it seems that almost every cruise has at least one nasty entitled passenger.
Of course, the staff and reasonable passengers soon know who these people are, and share experiences.  Often nasty nicknames are coined. I particular remember "Bunny" and "Popeye".

Trying to return to our ship in one Greek island port (can't quite remember which one) we had Mr. Entitled try to cut the line of other Regent passengers waiting to clear port security.  When the end of the line was pointed out to him, he loudly stated that "I'm on Regent, I need to get back on board RIGHT NOW!" When every single one of us in the line pointed out that we, too, were all on Regent trying to get back on board, he sheepishly went to the back of the line.  Then the next day, on a self-driven Jeep tour on Corfu, I believe, this same self-entitled 'gentleman' (loosely again) managed to incapacitate his Jeep by overheating the clutch due to a combination of steep hills and a total lack of manual transmission driving ability..smoked the poor clutch and they needed to bring in a rescue vehicle for him.

From that point on he was known as "Clutchy McLinecutter" by us and several dozen other chuckling friends we'd met on board.

Aah, good times.  Good times indeed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

20 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

From that point on he was known as "Clutchy McLinecutter" by us and several dozen other chuckling friends we'd met on board.

Aah, good times.  Good times indeed.

You, sir, are much more diplomatic than I. My names for such people tend towards no-longer-functioning genitalia, none of which are appropriate to share on a Family Board. 

• Like 1

oh, the stories I could tell.  Worst was a sharing table with another couple in P7.  And the reason we no longer share tables with people we don't know.  The lady of the couple wanted balsamic vinegar for her salad.  The waitress brought it in a little carafe.  The lady started shouting that "that is NOT balsamic vinegar, you are an idiot, etc etc".  Waitress was in tears.  I tasted the vinegar as did my husband, and it was definitely balsamic.  Waitress went to get the manager who brought out the bottle the vinegar was poured from--it was balsamic vinegar.  The lady yelled at him as well, saying he was lying to her then stomped out with her husband in tow.  I suspect she didn't know the difference between balsamic glaze and vinegar, but she was out of control. 

• Like 1