Civility on CC Board

Sandifer

Sometimes it seems to be that many people on the HAL Cruisecritic Board are often very judgemental in answering questions. I am even reluctant to post this because I am afraid it will just invite some responses that I would rather not read. I have not sailed on HAL before; I have sailed often on Celebrity. Now with a cruise scheduled soon on Hal, I am a little worried that I will find the same attitudes on ship that I sometimes find on this board. I try to behave well on ships and expect others to do the same, but it disturbs me to think that I might be constantly judged, in terms of dress, tipping policy, etc. Please tell me it isn't so.

Hi Sandifer,

I highly doubt you will encounter outwardly "judgmental" pax on your cruise - we certainly didn't. I do think that with the relative anonymity one has on these boards, some folks forget their manners, or at least don't realize their tone of "wisdom and experience" might be perceived as arrogance and intolerance. Have a great cruise! :)

Sandifer,

I have been on some cruises and I have found that you will find some people that are rude and not very nice..It's like anything in life for the large marjority of us we try to act right..It's like these boards there are some people who always stir the pot and some times it is good because we get to see different sides of an opinion...But don't worry about your HAL cruise I am sure you will have a good time..What I do when I come across these types of people on a cruise I try to avoid them and even if we do cross paths they are not going to ruin my cruise..

I guess I have rambled a little disjointly but I hope you get my idea:o

One of the big problems with message boards is that you can't get the facial expressions, the voice tones, etc. What may be done with a smile and a wink in person could come off as a sarcastic jab in print. A good barroom discussion-style "argument" where everybody has a good time will, on this board, sound like WW2. I think there are people who are accused of flaming who really don't mean to come off that way.

Onboard -- the vast majority of people, the vast majority, are kind and happy and more than willing to accept the dress styles and whatever of others. There will always be a very few who are (a) dissatisfied, (b) boorish, © better than everybody, (d) just plain snots. These are rare and, actually, are pretty funny. I write about them in my daily Cruise Critic diary on this board and they provide lots of material for my humor pieces.

We have met some dear people onboard HAL cruise ships. I've never felt any of them have been judgmental at all. Here on the board, I'll grant you that some FEW folks throw darts from time to time. Maybe they do it intentionally ... maybe not. I will provide my view then move on. If they "cop a 'tude" that's THEIR problem.

You will also find some wonderful cruise mates. Go and have a great time.

It's possible some people take the term "Cruise CRITIC" a bit too seriously!;)

I too have noticed the negativity at times, but by far the majority of people on these boards are great, and overall very helpful. The kind of folks I would like to meet on a cruise! I don't think you have anything to worry about on a HAL, or any other ship. Having just returned from a HAL cruise, I did not encounter any more rudeness than I would have at a hotel, theme park, restaurant, or anyplace else.

There is an element of truth to what was said about the anonymity, IMO. Many people will post replies that they likely would never say in public. On the other hand, anonymity allows you to be able to ignore those replies that you consider to be rude and judgemental as well.

Please don't let it stop you from posting! Happy cruising!:D

Hi Sandifer:

Actually you are quite right but I don't think in most cases the person actually intends to be so judgemental to the point of creating a riff.

It not only happens on the HAL boards but on the other threads as well. I was so annoyed with the Cunard people for the longest time and seriously started to think I made a huge mistake booking the QM2 for later this year because I was convinced it was the worst group of judgemental people I ever seen - I mean, steerage class passengers on a Disneyfied ship? Was that what I was being called? Then magically someone mentioned this and the whole tone of the board changed once everyone started agreeing and the more pleasant people came out of the wood work laughing and joking and saying the good things about their experiences on Cunard.

HAL has a fairly nice bunch. I must admit its a close knit circle who has known each other for a long time so don't expect a hug the minute you get in here. Sometimes I felt like I was talking to a brick wall but I never felt that the group was bad or just a miserable bunch. They are a fairly tolerant bunch except just don't bring up topless sunbathing. OH PLEASE DON'T!:D

I guess the point I am trying to make is that sometimes some are just miserable people or people who cannot communicate as well by email/message board as they do in person get misinterpreted. A simple joke or wrong use of a term can rile a crowd into a frenzy and usually when it was not intended to do so. Sometimes someone's disappointment with something is overly dramatized - the perceived worst cruise ever stories I have heard here have yet to compare to the Titanic and usually its a non-issue to everyone else. I find it hard to believe most people are out to deliberately cause trouble except that once in a blue moon there will always be one unhappy soul in a crowd. Those are the ones who either disappear when no one agrees with them or they have to have their posting privileges removed.

To any newbies who may be listening. Stay long enough and you'll know its not all bad here. The way I look at life is that the world doesn't revolve around one. I learned that one a long, long, long,long time ago!

Thanks.

I think Tomc nailed it for me. Sometimes even the most trivial or off hand comment can come across to the reciever as rude, argumentative, or snide when that wasn't the sender's intent. Actually I count myself lucky to have only gotten into one circumstance here with somebody who felt I was out of bounds with my comments. :o

I think most everyone here is interested in reading and learning more about cruising.

One unfortunate thing that happens sometimes is that a newer poster will ask a question about a "hot topic," or one that has been brought up repeatedly and is controversial. (I refuse to say "dead horse" as I own one.;) )

Anyway, some of the regulars who have patiently answered a question umteen million times will digress into a general discussion of the controversial topic. I think the original poster is often left confused over the maelstrom he or she has caused. Sometimes the original question is totally lost in the discussion.

For the first time yesterday, a regular poster made some very disparaging remarks to me. I responded. Her post and my response have been removed at my request by the moderators. So, sometimes if you begin to read a thread well after it has started, you may get a somewhat disjointed reading on what all the fuss is about.

And remember, the edit button is still good for awhile after you hit the reply button.:D

Beth

I saw that attack on you, Beth. :mad:

Your reply was right on the money, honey. :)

It's always the same individuals. You can count 'em on one hand. I've learned to just ignore them.:rolleyes:

also beware of the pot-stirrers, some of whom have never cruised HAL, who like to keep the friction going. The veteran HAL posters, for the most part, will usually try to resolve miscommunications and move on. For those who feed on conflict, tension and name-calling, just ignore them.

Personally, I find the best way to handle things when I feel I've been sniped is to never, ever snipe back. For one, it's always possible that I misinterpreted the comment that set me off. And two, returning fire only escalates the situation, making me feel *worse* instead of better.

Take the good, ignore the bad and enjoy life. This is just the internet and it's really not worth fussing over.

It's just my opinion, but I've found the people on this board to be some of the nicest on Cruise Critic. Very knowledgeable and welcoming. When I first started posting I was nervous, but was welcomed to the boards. I've also found the people on HAL ships to be, by and large, very nice.

There's usually one or two people per cruise, on any line, that you'll bump into who will just hate the whole experience and say nothing is good and "I'll never sail "insert line here", I'm going back to "the line i used to sail with"". To me, that's just amusing :) Believe me, 99.9% of the people who are on the ship will be there for the same reasons you are: to have a great time!

Here's one more little tidbit: the folks here on CC only represent a miniscule amount of the fellow passengers you will meet on a cruise ship. I'll be willing to bet you that the vast majority of cruise ship pax have never heard of CC. If you encounter "tudes" here, try to take it for what it's worth (which is absolutely nothing) and don't let it get to you. Think about it: some people wake up like that every morning:eek:

It's been our experience that most cruise ship pax take things as they go, make the best of it and have a great time (if you want to see an example of that, read Krazy Kruizers' review of her last cruise to Hi - great attitude). You will meet some very nice and interesting individuals on a cruise and you could even make friends for life. If you encounter folks with their nose up in the air or being judgemental, just ignore them - their underwear is more than likely too tight and you can't please folks like that anyway ! Go and enjoy your cruise and don't sweat the small stuff!:)

I'm SO glad that we'll be cruising together on the Volendam, csg99 ! :)

You've always been so kind and helpful when I've asked questions. Dom and I look forward to meeting you.

Race 'ya to the topless deck! ;)

Most people are constantly judging others. Heck, those who say I'm "judgemental" are making a judgement! The thing is, no one is going to call you on it while you're cruising (well, unless you're causing an unsafe or very unpleasant situation).

Remember, too, that what someone usually means by "judgemental" is "they don't agree with me."

If you've spent any time on the Celebrity boards, then you'll have no problem here. Most folks will tell you that the HAL boards are much friendlier.

Won't we Heather? :)

Welcome to the playground!

Every message board I've belonged to -- with the exception of one -- operates pretty much in the same way.

There are the bullies and the know-it-alls and the friendly types.

There are the queens and kings and the wannabes.

There are the newbies who post innocently -- and some of the longtime members roll their eyes and say, "Not again!!!"

There are the trolls and the pot-stirrers who will do anything to get attention and enjoy starting trouble. They come and they go ... kind of like the tide.

I am sure a many of us could name the ones who've graced this board, then disappeared.

After my first HAL cruise I came back to CC to report my experience. I mentioned that I'd seen someone in jeans in the dining room -- got my you-know-what kicked and was called a liar!

But I hung in there anyway, despite the less-than-friendly reception.

I agree with Copper: most of the people on your cruise won't know a thing about CC.

And they'll be all shapes and sizes and colors ... some with attitude, most without.

It's like any crowd.

I haven't cruised with HAL yet but have my first HAL cruise scheduled for November. We have been with Royal for several years now and most of my "critic" time has been on the Royal board. Now if you want to be attacked for little or no reason visit the Royal board. I don't post there often because of it. I have been mostly hovering here on the HAL board with just a few post now and then but I have really been impressed at how everyone seems to get along. Of course there are always a few but I am impressed so far and am really looking forward to meeting everyone on my November cruise on the Maasdam.:D

Happy to have you, Valentine's Mom. Welcome! All of us here love to talk cruising. And each of us was a newbie at one time or another. Sometimes we forget that. I'm sure you will really enjoy what Holland America has to offer.

jhanna,

Thanks for the welcome. I read the board almost everyday and am really getting excited for my November cruise. There was a thread a few weeks ago that was something like secrete things on HAL. I not only read all of those but printed them out so as not to miss any of them on my cruise. I was surprised and delited to see so many things that none of the other cruise lines that I have cruised on offered. I can't wait!

Well I'm very new to the board in terms of posting but i find they are a good source of info. For example i was wondering about tipping with respect to the room service and then yesterday I came across a thread dealing with the issue with a variety of views. I was also wondering about the spa. I've been on two HAL cruises and only ventured into the spa area on the 2nd cruise. I never realized there was even a whole area there (thermal beds etc.) that can be accessed for a charge of course. I came across a thread dealing with some info on that too answering questions which I had. I also like reading the board because my cruise is a long way off but reading people's comments about their upcoming cruises helps me enjoy the anticipation of my own cruise more. As for people on the HAL cruises I've cruised on Celebrity, Carnival and HAL. Carnival was the only one I wasn't big on, not so much because of people I met that I didn't like but the absolute numbers (3500--1300 were under 17) but I still enjoyed it and my adult children 19, 21, 23 and 25 and mother in law 85 really enjoyed it--it was their first and as we were paying, Carnival was a great economical way to cruise. In terms of age probably Celebrity is more our age group (early 50's) but the advantage of HAL is often the things we are interested (hiking or active outdoors activities) in there isn't a line up for.

Well I'm very new to the board in terms of posting but i find they are a good source of info. For example i was wondering about tipping with respect to the room service and then yesterday I came across a thread dealing with the issue with a variety of views. I was also wondering about the spa. I've been on two HAL cruises and only ventured into the spa area on the 2nd cruise. I never realized there was even a whole area there (thermal beds etc.) that can be accessed for a charge of course. I came across a thread dealing with some info on that too answering questions which I had. I also like reading the board because my cruise is a long way off but reading people's comments about their upcoming cruises helps me enjoy the anticipation of my own cruise more. As for people on the HAL cruises I've cruised on Celebrity, Carnival and HAL. Carnival was the only one I wasn't big on, not so much because of people I met that I didn't like but the absolute numbers (3500--1300 were under 17) but I still enjoyed it and my adult children 19, 21, 23 and 25 and mother in law 85 really enjoyed it--it was their first and as we were paying, Carnival was a great economical way to cruise. In terms of age probably Celebrity is more our age group (early 50's) but the advantage of HAL is often the things we are interested (hiking or active outdoors activities) in there isn't a line up for.

There was a thread a few weeks ago that was something like secrete things on HAL. I not only read all of those but printed them out so as not to miss any of them on my cruise. I was surprised and delited to see so many things that none of the other cruise lines that I have cruised on offered. I can't wait!

Welcome, Valentine's Mom! And, I agree, threads like the "HAL Secrets" thread reflect the very best aspects of this board. True, we tend to get a bit heated in our discussions and, sometimes, some of us will say things that we shouldn't say. However, in my opinion our virtual bark is far worse than our actual bite.

Sandifer, cruise without any concerns and have a wonderful time!

Archived