Deck 2 Inside Cabin: Horrible or Habitable?

Hi all,

My parents and I have 2 inside cabins on Deck 2 on the Grandeur of the Seas.

When we were selecting rooms, it was irresistable to do the guaranteed room selection. At the time we could select an inside on Deck 2, 3, and 4 for the same price so we figured we would give it a shot.

Of course, they gave us a cabin on Deck 2 (some guarantee) and when I called to complain they told me all they had was a Balcony and they weren't going to upgrade us to that so we are out of luck.

On our confirmation it says our room assignment will be given at the pier, but it appeared on my RCC account online fairly quickly with a specific room asssignment.

Anyone ever traverse Deck 2 and can comment on the noise/vibrations - it would be much appreciated.

My dad's disabled and I'm worried he won't be pleased. I doubt there is any chance for an upgrade after they give you a room assignment. Anyone ever get lucky?

Thanks!

The good news is there isn't much motion down below!!! Then, the rooms are dark and small. Some don't mind that--they say they only sleep and dress in the cabin, so why pay for more than you need! I say, I'm on vacation and I want the most luxurious accomodations I can afford. I love space and a balcony is a must. The rule of thumb here, is to book what you'll be happy with, because upgrades are quite rare! Good luck!

We took a lower level cabin on Celebrity Milenium. It was not pleasant as we were directly above the prep kitchen. Our nights were filled w/ the sounds of banging pans all hours of the night. If you can afford the upgrade, I would recomend it.

All of you need to know what to expect.

Although I have never stayed in an inside cabin on RCI, I have seen pictures. With that said, I have been in walk-in closets bigger than an inside cabin :eek:

Keep checking the prices for the bigger cabins, you might get lucky :D

###

when I called to complain
About what? Getting what you agreed to pay for?

Every inside cabin is "dark", but not that much smaller than the outsides (6-15 sq. ft.). We find insides to be very, very quiet.

About what? Getting what you agreed to pay for?

Every inside cabin is "dark", but not that much smaller than the outsides (6-15 sq. ft.). We find insides to be very, very quiet.

We always book insides and have never had a problem. Rejoice in the fact that you will be able to do two cruises for the same price as those who do only one in a balcony.

Hello all.

Thanks for posting - but I want to make it clear I am not making this thread an "Inside vs. Outside" comparison.

I've done every level (Inside, Outside, Balcony, Suite). I know what an inside is like - what I have not ever done is have a cabin on Deck 2!

For whomever asked why I called to complain - I DID NOT get what I agreed to. I agreed to a guaranteed inside at that class. At the time of booking, there were rooms on Decks 2, 3, and 4 at the same rate as the guranteed rate. They assigned my room very quickly after I booked and when I went online to see if there were still rooms available at the guaranteed rate on decks 3 and 4 (at the same class) they were still available.

They lured us into the guranteed rate and then stuck us on the worst possible deck even though there were rooms available on higher decks at the same rate and class.

BTW I am very familar with the notion that room class and deck number are not necessarily linked.

I'd like to hear from folks who have stayed on a lower deck like Deck 2 and can comment on how bad the noise is.

Thanks again.

You don't say where on deck 2 you are, but a couple of years ago booked a cruise 5 days before sailing there was very few rooms available and we got an outside on deck 2 and the ride was great no regular noise from lounges, kitchens or anything.. The only thing which we didn't know is that we were right over the anchor, so the first morning we were still sleeping as they pulled into port, they released the anchor. Boy talk about an alarm clock. I have never been so wide awake so quick in my life. But I will tell you by the 3rd port and being exhausted from trying to fit everything in, we didn't even hear it anymore. It was a minor inconvience and I would definitely stay there again.

I have stayed on deck 2, twice. My first was inside, middle section. Not a problem. I like the darkenss. I decided to try again, this time OV, more aft than before. I was awakened once, about 7 am from laughter. I am a very light sleeper. (Right now the hum of the air conditioner is keeping me awake.:eek: ) I have never heard any other noise or experience any vibration. I have a Dec. cruise booked inside, deck 2. Not a porblem with me.

Hey all - thanks for posting. I didn't say where. We are in Cabins 2603 and 05 which are VERY AFT. It looks like they would be right over the engine room.

I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I don't mind the inside cabin - I just have this fear that being so aft we will here the engine all the time and it will make things unpleasant.

You should be fine. You are more mid-ship than aft. The diagram is a little deceiving. We were near there on deck 3 and had no problems. Felt very little, if any, movement. Just a quick elevator ride away from the fun.:)

Jill

Actually, I think those are pretty good cabins. You'll be right down the hall from the elevators for your Dad. They appear to be the roomier sized insided (cat N as opposed to O, P, Q). Good corner location for 2603, so no noise on one side, and 2605 has no noise on one side, also, because family is next door.

We've been on this Deck before, also. We call them the BOB roooms (Bottom 'o Boat), but they were fine. Dark is relative. We always kept a light on so we walked into a lit room. You sleep very soundly in an inside cabin, because there is no light coming in, and you are buffered from outside noises (anchors, cranes, etc.) because you're inside. TAKE AN ALARM CLOCK; you'll sleep all day, otherwise!!

I think you'll be fine.

Wow - most of the posters here make inside cabins sound horrible. That was what we had last time, and what we will be in next time as well. It was plenty big enough for the two of us. We are only in the cabin to sleep and bathe and dress...so more luxurious accomodations would be lost on us. And for those that like to drink their coffee on the balcony in the morning...well, I am sure that is nice, but I spend that hour running on the deck.:o

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. You agreed to take a guarantee inside, which COULD have been on any of the decks 2, 3, or 4. What made you think that it wouldn't be on deck 2? Just because there WERE cabins on 3 & 4 didn't mean they had to assign them to you. It would have been nice, I agree, but technically you DID get what you agreed to. I never stay on the absolute lowest passenger deck for some of the reasons posted. Mostly noise from the anchor or crew areas. I've stayed in inside cabins on other decks, even just one up on deck 3, and they're fine. It's just riskier on deck 2 IMO because of the chance of noise. I, too, am a very light sleeper. I don't know when your cruise is, but I would check every day for a price change, especially around final payment. Maybe you'll be able to change to a specific category for the same price or just a little more. I did that. I booked lowest inside, cat Q on my upcoming Explorer cruise. That was the lowest rate at the time. Then they put a guarantee up for the same price. I changed over and we received cat N's. Not a huge upgrade, but the cabin location is definitely better. Keep watching, you may be able to move.

Good luck.

OK, we didn't stay on deck 2, but on deck 3 inside on Visions (did a guarantee also) and usually there's at least one deck below you that's crew so I wouldn't worry about being right over engine room. Also, you didn't get the "lowest possible" inside guarantee so though you didn't get a higher floor, it could have been worse. The worst possible cabin for inside is the ones all the way forward, you hear the anchor drop etc. and feel all the motion. We've had insides, outsides and JS on different RCCL ships (JS was a handicap so it was MUCH larger and had a balcony as large as OS). We've been "around" and my kids and I prefer saving the $$ and going in the inside (saving the $$, getting "out there more", etc). My daughter (age 10) is making a total fuss that I'm booking a balcony cabin for us in April and she wants NO PART of it.. (it's a hump one too)... go figure. We've taken our chances on guarantees and each time have been pleased with location (sometimes it wasn't THE BEST) but more importantly enjoyed the $$$ savings that having the W,X,Y or Z guarantee entails.

Oh, did you do a specific inside guarantee or Z, 'cause if you didn't do a Z and if they are offered switch to that since you might save a little bit more. Keep watching the prices since they do reduce things up until sailing. And I believe you mentioned your traveling w/parents in another cabin, don't mean to be "nosy" but depending on their age and state where they live have you checked to see if there are any resident or senior discounts? (This could save them about $100 pp more)

Good luck and enjoy.

Carolyn

Hi all' date='

My parents and I have 2 inside cabins on Deck 2 on the Grandeur of the Seas.

When we were selecting rooms, it was irresistable to do the guaranteed room selection. At the time we could select an inside on Deck 2, 3, and 4 for the same price so we figured we would give it a shot.

Of course, they gave us a cabin on Deck 2 (some guarantee) and when I called to complain they told me all they had was a Balcony and they weren't going to upgrade us to that so we are out of luck.

On our confirmation it says our room assignment will be given at the pier, but it appeared on my RCC account online fairly quickly with a specific room asssignment.

Anyone ever traverse Deck 2 and can comment on the noise/vibrations - it would be much appreciated.

My dad's disabled and I'm worried he won't be pleased. I doubt there is any chance for an upgrade after they give you a room assignment. Anyone ever get lucky?

Thanks![/quote'] My daughter had an inside cabin on the JOS and she loved it very quiet no movement at all. Enjoy your trip Lorelle

I have stayed on deck 2, twice. My first was inside, middle section. Not a problem. I like the darkenss. I decided to try again, this time OV, more aft than before. I was awakened once, about 7 am from laughter. I am a very light sleeper. (Right now the hum of the air conditioner is keeping me awake.:eek: ) I have never heard any other noise or experience any vibration. I have a Dec. cruise booked inside, deck 2. Not a porblem with me.
Try earplugs I use the gel ones and now I sleep like a baby.

We always book insides and have never had a problem. Rejoice in the fact that you will be able to do two cruises for the same price as those who do only one in a balcony.

Amen to that.

By the way, we've stayed on lower deck insides and have been fine.

Hello all.

Thanks for posting - but I want to make it clear I am not making this thread an "Inside vs. Outside" comparison.

I've done every level (Inside' date=' Outside, Balcony, Suite). I know what an inside is like - what I have not ever done is have a cabin on Deck 2!

For whomever asked why I called to complain - I DID NOT get what I agreed to. I agreed to a guaranteed inside at that class. At the time of booking, there were rooms on Decks 2, 3, and 4 at the same rate as the guranteed rate. They assigned my room very quickly after I booked and when I went online to see if there were still rooms available at the guaranteed rate on decks 3 and 4 (at the same class) they were still available.

They lured us into the guranteed rate and then stuck us on the worst possible deck even though there were rooms available on higher decks at the same rate and class.

BTW I am very familar with the notion that room class and deck number are not necessarily linked.

I'd like to hear from folks who have stayed on a lower deck like Deck 2 and can comment on how bad the noise is.

Thanks again.[/quote']

I completely disagree with your assessment of they lured you in. But if you want to be outraged because you made a bad choice, hey it is a free country.

I have sailed in mostly inside cabins mostly on the lower decks. The rooms are virtually identical with outside view cabins. So, were you happy with your inside our outside cabins in the past? If you were you will be fine. I have found my inside lower deck cabins to be be very quiet and pleasant.

jc

Guest cvbart
I completely disagree with your assessment of they lured you in. But if you want to be outraged because you made a bad choice, hey it is a free country.

I have sailed in mostly inside cabins mostly on the lower decks. The rooms are virtually identical with outside view cabins. So, were you happy with your inside our outside cabins in the past? If you were you will be fine. I have found my inside lower deck cabins to be be very quiet and pleasant.

jc

But you disagree with everything:)

Archived