Bayonne - What are the Secrets to an Easy Embarkation?

MrPete

Checking in to the cruise ship is really no different from checking into a hotel. Leave your bags with the porter, if you don't want to lug them around, and that's the easiest way to do it! The only real difference is you have to go through security before you enter the check-in area. If you flew in, it's just like the airport! Nothing hard about it!

Pete - IMO, Bayonne is generally an effective and drama-free debarkation port. There are 3 potential places where you can get jammed up though:

+ Getting there. I think you are from the NY area. Just be sure you are clear on how to get to the cruise terminal, as it can be a bit tricky with some twists and turns. EZ Pass is a big help to clear the tolls. The route from I95 is fairly well signed though. Fortunately, there's nothing going on at Giants Stadium, so that's one less thing to worry about (if you are using I95).

+ Getting from the port entrance to the terminal entrance. All of the traffic basically funnels into one fairly constricted area, which can lead to a line as cars enter and either drop off / pick up pax or divert to park. There's little you can do other than be patient (or go later in the afternoon, but who wants to do that! :) ).

+ Getting from the terminal to the ship. As you may know, the ship docks away from the terminal, so they bus you down. It's a bit of a drag (especially if you are not expecting it), but there are generally plenty of buses. Again, it's more of a patience thing.

Have a great time on your cruise!

We went out of Bayonne last year and are doing it again this year for a 9 nighter on 10/6. If you are driving to the port the only thing I would advise you on is watch what time you get there. Too early and you'll be in a mess of traffic when you try to offload baggage while those disembarking are trying to load up. After offloading baggage you need to circle around for parking. This can take3 a while if alot of cars show up at the same time.

When I arrived last year it was 1pm and I had no problem. Disembarkation was over. Porter took all but my carry on and I circled around to the parking lot. There was little traffic to get through and I met up with wife and DD 15 mins after droppong them off. They were already through x-ray screening before I caught up to them. Ten minutes later we were in front of the check in line with our Set Sail papers out. No more than 10 mins after that we were on the ship.:)

One tip may be that if you don't have too much baggage you may want to just pull into the parking lot and carry your baggage with you on the parking lot shuttle to the building. I wouldn't advise walking through the parking lot with luggage. There is alot of gravel to go through. (not good for bags with wheels)

we got there at 11:30 in may for the bermuda itin. Traffic was a mess but i heard it always is.....

boarding started at 12:05 with the weddings...we were on bus #2 and were on ship, dropped off stuff, changed table and in WJ by 12:50.

piece of cake........

1. Do all of your check-in online. It speeds you through the process at the port. Also, if you are in a suite, that helps as well. From the time we entered the building to the time we were on-board was less than 20 minutes.

2. If you are driving...first, they direct you to first drop your passengers/bags then park. However, the parking lot is/was just before the dropoff point, so you had to go past the lot, drop the passengers, then go around for another loop to go park - and as others have mentioned, it is a mess with traffic - especially if the prior cruise has any delay whatsoever. A better choice, just get into the right lane (where the others who have dropped their passengers are going), drive straight in to the parking lot immediately - it is adjacent to the terminal building - no more than 200 feet to carry your bags.

Second, again if you are driving...as you will notice other threads on the subject (do a search), there is a problem with paint overspray from the shipyard at the port. It happened to us at this time last year - they spray the paint, the wind blows it right into the direction of the parking lot. If it happens to you, it is a pain in the neck to get resolved (you have to take it for professional cleaning and deal with the shipyard's insurance company). If you will park in the lot at the dock, go to Walmart or Pep Boys and pick up a cheap car cover or tarp with bungee cords to cover your vehicle. Even if it comes to $50 it will be worth the piece of mind and not having to deal with the problem. If you are able to have someone else drop you off and pick you up, even better. Also, you can see some threads about using public transportation to get to the port. Lastly, one of the motels in the area has a free shuttle/parking package if you stay there the night before your cruise (there's a couple threads on that too). Some were not impressed, but, when you offset the price of parking at the dock and the possibility of your car getting sprayed, it is a good alternative.

As an aside Mr. Pete, partially based on your recommendation, we're going on the Legend next August and got the wrap-around balcony.

Howard

rsinj is correct about having to make an additional loop after dropping off passengers.

However, if you are travelling with the elderly or with a lot of luggage, by all means do the drop-off. The extra loop isn't all that bad. They do have small shuttle buses running from the parking area, but it is still difficult with a lot of luggage or if you have someone who needs special assistance.

VERY good points!

ALSO get there early. We live less than half hour from BAyonne and we got there at 11:30. DH dropped us off, we found someone to take the bags (have lots of singles and small bills available but gave $10 for the luggage for the 4 of us and my parents), All paperwork was done on line, got cards, SMILED for the pictures and on the ship eating out lunch by 12:30. IT was amazing how easy it was.

Getting off was horrible.:eek:

This was our first RC and it was great!

ENJOY!!!

I left from Bayoone for my last three trips. There was not a problem. We arrive around 11:30 and have been on board later than 12:15. The tram to the ship is easy. Make sure that you do your set sail pass ahead of time. This way all you do is show your ID and you're done. Once on board they will tell you that your cabin won't be available until 1:00. I find the cabin (before 1:00). Go in and put my carryon in the closet, valuables in the safe and leave. I haven't had a problem yet.

As an aside Mr. Pete, partially based on your recommendation, we're going on the Legend next August and got the wrap-around balcony.

I'm jealous! All I could get on the EOS was a D1, with late seating! ARGH!

Thanks for the info! Bags are packed, I'm ready to go!

The only thing that really messes up embarcation is if the cruise before yours returns late... like ours did... that makes the overlap of departing passengers with arriving passengers too much and it can be a mess. You will be able to tell as you approach if it's a big deal... if you zip right up to the terminal go do the drop off and circle around again. If it's jammed up, keep to the right and go right into parking. If you get a spot close just roll your luggage over, otherwise use the shuttle bus... even the farthest parking is only a hundred yards away.

For those of you that may be driving to Cape Liberty from the west using Rt 78, the express lanes will be closed until December. This may back things up for those trying to get there early ( during rush hours) the westbound express lanes will also be closed for you're 'enjoyment' for the trip back home

For those of you that may be driving to Cape Liberty from the west using Rt 78, the express lanes will be closed until December. This may back things up for those trying to get there early ( during rush hours) the westbound express lanes will also be closed for you're 'enjoyment' for the trip back home

This doesn't affect the portion of the Turnpike that is I-78, does it? I would expect not.

RCI has gotten passengers on and off their ships week after week, year after year. One would think that by now, especially in Miami, they would have some system and be somewhat organized. Its amazing who ever is in charge at the checkin can even get up in the mornings and put on their shoes. Unbelievable. They always act like this is the first time they have ever done a checkin. We were the 2nd family checking in for the Nav and the second one in line. We were one of the last to get on. They were so messed up, had half of the people standing in a line that they would not be using. We were standing where we were directed to under a sign saying to ship. What a joke.

Of all the ports I've sailed from I have to say Cape Liberty is the easiest. Virtually no lines when we arrive. Everything is quick and painless. Royal runs a very efficient operation at Cape Liberty. If only the sticky substance problem would be solved everything would be perfect.

On the flip side I would say the worst/slowest embarkation for us has always been the Manhattan pier in New York. Also by far the worst debarkation we experienced was in Norfolk Virginia back in 2004 after sailing on Celebrity Horizon. It was totally disorganized and chaotic. Not a pleasant memory.

RCI has gotten passengers on and off their ships week after week, year after year. One would think that by now, especially in Miami, they would have some system and be somewhat organized. Its amazing who ever is in charge at the checkin can even get up in the mornings and put on their shoes. Unbelievable. They always act like this is the first time they have ever done a checkin. We were the 2nd family checking in for the Nav and the second one in line. We were one of the last to get on. They were so messed up, had half of the people standing in a line that they would not be using. We were standing where we were directed to under a sign saying to ship. What a joke.
UM...........thanks for that input, Brad, but this thread is about departing from CAPE LIBERTY, BAYONNE, NEW JERSEY.

Archived