Would you want to know early or be surpised??

SakeDad

OK....since I got the suite upgrade I'm trying to decide if I should tell mom now (we leave in 11 days) or wait til we get to the ship? Would you prefer to be surprised BEFORE the trip or wait to be surprised when you board? Anticipation and all that.:rolleyes:

Does she think you are in a standard balcony cabin?

I wanted to surprise DH with our upgrade last week, but could not keep my mouth shut as I was excited. In retrospect, I wish I had, especially since we scored our all time favorite location as well as a suite :)

Nathan, in this case I'd say surprise her. I imagine she's already anticipating a wonderful trip, and this will be gravy. Also, this won't change anything she would take or need to plan for. So she gets to have both the anticipation and the surprise. Trish

No question -- surprise her !!

Your mom must already be pretty excited about going in the first place, and in a suite already. I would love the added surprise of having access to the Neptune Lounge, etc.

The real question is... can you keep it a secret ?:D

Bonnie

Nathan, there is no question about it. You have been say for well over a month now that you wanted to SURPRISE HER so this is finally your chance, DO NOT say a word. But having met you have this feeling that you will not make it.;) You will be busting with excitement so just try to hold on as long as you can:D

SakeDad, I missed the news apparently! Are you in a full suite?

Congratulations and you will be spoiled for life:D.

Do not tell her a thing. Go directly to the Neptune Lounge and then wow her with the suite. And don't forget breakfasts at the PG.

Have an AWESOME trip!

No question -- surprise her !!

Your mom must already be pretty excited about going in the first place, and in a suite already. I would love the added surprise of having access to the Neptune Lounge, etc.

The real question is... can you keep it a secret ?:D

Bonnie

You're all right...she already is very excited about the whole thing and as she hasn't done all the ship research I have I don't think she'll know all the goodies she'll be getting. It will be MUCH more fun to give her several little surprises as we tour the ship and I tell her, "THAT'S INCLUDED TOO!" :D Now I just have to zip it!:p

Whatever you do, just make sure that the correct stateroom number is on your luggage when you drop it at the pier...

...otherwise you may never see it again!

:cool:

We always book and pay for the cabin we want so there are no surprises. ;)

We all know that, you've told us many times, but what does it have to do with the OP's question?

I'm feeling good for SakeDad's upgrade.

Oh Nathan: as a mom myself I say definitely surprise her. Have a sensational time and enjoy every moment together on your cruise. You are going to have a blast enjoying the "suite life" (at least that's what I hear:D ).

Valerie:)

Not having read your previous cruises and assuming you're in a full suite ...

Surprise her.

Go to the Suite checkin line and when she asks why, just smile and lead her on. Let the anticipation hit her at that moment.....

Bon Voyage

Carol in SC

Nathan,

To pile on here, I would say to wait and spring the surprise. I'm assuming you are pretty confident that your mom doesn't lurk on CC and already knows...;)

There is a danger here, though. I once decided to surprise DW with a balcony. Now that is the basement of expectations and I can go only up, not down in stateroom class. :rolleyes:

Seriously, surprise her and take her picture!

Dave

Yet another surprise her!

On our Alaska cruise last year on the Volendam, booked in a A cabin with room number assigned, we stopped checking the on-line checking after we completed the form and printed it out. When we went to check before boarding they couldn't find us under the cabin number we had been given. After a search in their computer they found we had been upgraded to an S cabin. That didn't mean much to my wife, it was kind of so what? until she walked into the suite. Then her eyes got big. So definitely surprise your mother.

Hey, I took my parents on a Hawaii cruise and didn't tell them where they were going until four days prior -- they thought we were spending a week in Tucson :D

I had to give them a bit of notice so they could adequately pack. I don't think there's any reason your mom needs to know in advance -- surprise her :)

Oh yeah... one more vote for surprise and I also vote for flowers (does she like roses??), chocolate covered strawberries, champagne in the cabin when you get there. Too fun. And if ya REALLY want to spoil her... send her to the spa on your sea day.. a facial or a wrap or full body massage or heck I did all three. That was quite simply the most decadent thing I did on our last cruise.. so relaxing!!

I know you will spoil her rotten... you are a good son!! :)

Oh yeah... one more vote for surprise and I also vote for flowers (does she like roses??), chocolate covered strawberries, champagne in the cabin when you get there. Too fun. And if ya REALLY want to spoil her... send her to the spa on your sea day.. a facial or a wrap or full body massage or heck I did all three. That was quite simply the most decadent thing I did on our last cruise.. so relaxing!!

I know you will spoil her rotten... you are a good son!! :)

She's easy, actually. She doesn't read these boards so won't see this. Has only been on one cruise, Monarch of the Seas for 3 days from LA-Ensenada as a test to see if I should take her on a longer cruise. I did get a Junior Suite there but for the comparison to a Suite on HAL it might as well have been the coal room! She doesn't drink so the wine will be ALL MINE!:p I plan on taking her to Pike Place Market and buying flowers to have in the cabin in Alaska...but I also now know we will have even MORE fresh flowers in the suite! You can never have too many flowers! As I plan on getting to the ship early I will walk her around and explain "This is for Suite Passengers, too bad we aren't"..etc...and at the end of the tour enter our suite and tell her ALL those wonderful things are now hers!:D And, yes....I promise to take her picture at that very moment!!:cool:

Archived