How Has Cruise Critic Helped You?

jhannah

We all probably have common answers ... but at the same time there may be quite a number of points of view. For me, basically knowing ahead of time what to expect when I board a ship is very reassuring. Someone posted some time ago questioning whether we get too much information prior to a cruise, thus minimizing the "discovery" experience. Not for me! There's still much to learn once aboard ship. I feel that being a member of Cruise Critic has helped make me a better informed consumer. So that's my primary answer. Plus, it's neat to go aboard ship, see someone who looks confused, and be able to help by giving them the answer they need. Not that I'm any sort of genius. Quite the contrary! It's just that the good folks I've "met" here have steered me in the right direction many times.

How has cruise critic helped us?

When we have had questions about various new ports, we post and get answers.

Same thing with tours - find out which ones are good - which ones are bad.

Then when we return from a cruise, we hope that we can help people with information we have learned about ships, ports, tours, etc.

What a great question, Jim.

For me, I have learned about new ships as they came on line and others sailed them before we did. I have learned of things to do, places to see we might have missed if not for CC. I have learned of changes made on the ships 'in between' our getting off one cruise and boarding the next. The 'pre -warning' made it easier to accept that something I used to enjoy is no longer there.....OR, conversely, that something really good was added.

That's for starters. I'm really interested to hear what others have to say.

CC is fun for me; I enjoy 'meeting' fellow cruisers here; I enjoy folks caring about eachother and helping one another. I am grateful I have the free time to be able to come here and enjoy ....often.

Practically speaking, it has provided me with information about some of the ports I'm going to visit on future cruises; it's also been a source of information for changes on the Line (tipping, for instance) as well as information about ships I've not yet cruised on.

Otherwise, CC has been a great outlet for me in-between cruises ... a place where I've been able to vent and chat and enjoy the days between boarding our ships. :) It's also been a place where I've been able to "publish" links to photos and videos from my cruises. It's also been a place where I've been able to be of some minimal help to others, and I always enjoy this. And, finally, it's been a place where I've managed to make some good friendships that have continued on cruises and in "real life."

I can't even count the ways but I do find it interesting that someone will post a simple yes or no question and get a few yes and a few no answers so you have to take it all with a grain of salt. I do like reading about people's opinions and after many years lurking and posting I believe I have figured out for the most part who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't!

I enjoy reading the experiences and opinions that people have about their cruise(s) and am always interested in learning of differing experiences people have that are on the same cruise.

While my cruising experience is not as great as many, I enjoy trying to answer questions and post information that I have with the hope that this will help others.

Like some others, I like knowing beforehand what changes in the cruising experience (both positive and negative) to expect. This information helps to focus my attention on these changes. I, then, can decide whether I like or dislike that change.

Learning in advance about some of the new opportunities aboard ship also is helpful. As a result of the information I have read about people's experiences with some of the specialty restaurants, I have decided on my next cruises I am going to try these, too, even if I have to do so alone.

But, most importantly of all, I have gained several new and good friends as result of participating in a couple of "Roll Calls" on Cruise Critic. I am still communicating with people I first met online in 2002, before our cruise. And, hope to sail with these wonderful people again!

Thank you, Cruise Critic!

God I have learned so much here .

Never knew there were so many tricks of the trade involved in cruising and most of them are great for saving time, money and aggravation when traveling. I have gotten informative reviews of cruise lines, particular ships and ports.

I have to admit I always believed HAL was the old folks line *LOL* I have previously only sailed on Carnival and RCCL . After hanging around here only a short while I learned that is certainly not the case. Maybe HALs age demograhic is slightly older than a few other lines, but I have certainly found many wonderful and fun people of all ages here.

Now GF and I are looking into booking a Hawaiian cruise on the Statendam next year.

Even better than the info and advice, I have met wonderful friends here :)

Meeting great people and learning that "one mans meat is another mans poison" If we all liked the same things, what a boring world it would be. I always do lots of research on places and things to do there, but there is nothing like having someone describe in detail what they have learned and seen at that place or port. Hopefully I have helped some posters on the board, as I have definitely been helped here.....jean :cool:

We've met some great people on CC, that we got to meet personally at a later date.. We've met people on CC, that we are going to meet at a future date or cruise.. We've learned alot about cruising from others, and have shared alot about cruising with others. This is a great place to meet, share ideas and learn from others... Bombero

We've met some really wonderful people who have posted on these boards. It's always fun to finally match faces with posts. I always have questions regarding new ports we're going to and always receive great advice. There's always good "inside" info regarding new policies (i.e. bringing alcohol on board. . . ), 1/2 price for the Pinnacle the first night, changes on Half Moon Cay that most people who don't read cruise critic won't be aware of immediately. Love reading the reviews (good and bad)too.

When I board a ship alone it's always nice to know that I'm going to meet some folks that I feel I've come to know---if only a little bit. Made a couple of "forever" friends who I otherwise might not have even met! ;)

Besides that I have learned a few new things about the goings on about the ships, and hopefully have given some good information in return. :)

Of all the cruise boards, Cruise Critics has the nicest, most well-informed and eloquent members. Most times, I just lurk and get my answers by reading other people's questions and responses. I have met some very nice people on the roll call board for our December cruise and can't wait to meet them in person. They all sound like wonderful people.:D

It's an excellent leisure activity between cruises. But most of all, it's a great source for first hand information about ships and cruise lines I have booked, but haven't sailed yet.

The Ports of Call boards are very useful to identify reliable indepent tour operators.

On our cruise last summer, I was talking to a woman who said "I hate to get off the ship tomorrow--I feel like I've just found my way around and I'm getting the hang of everything. Now we have to go home tomorrow." But because of CC, I felt like I knew my way around from the moment we got on the ship. From knowing to stow the suitcases under the bed, to knowing to look for the bread pudding and muesli in the Lido, to knowing the best deck for viewing the glaciers, to knowing what to wear on formal night, and knowing how to pack and what to bring, knowing what books to read about the ports we would visit and what books would be good reading on board and how to lose 20 pounds before the trip (yes I did it!) I knew what shore excursions I wanted to take & what I wanted to do on my own in each port--and what I wanted to buy and where I wanted to shop! I love having so many opinions, and after all that research--I can't let it go to waste. I need another cruise! Shari

Last year, being on this Board helped to save us quite a large amount of money due to having read what happens if after paying the full amount for the cruise and it is reduced by more than 10%. We not only received a huge shipboard credit but were upgraded to the next grade which was a suite.

If I hadn't been reading this board I would never have known.

I also love reading the Ports Board as I have learnt so much from the various members who post and I also try to help with my knowledge in return.

Jennie

Right off the bat, this HAL CC community loves to save people money! I was whining that I hadn't received any shipboard credits and that my TA said there weren't any. Well, right away jazzsea (Carol, aka Supergirl!!!) came swooping in. She not only gave me the promo numbers, she told me not to take no for an answer, and then offered to call HAL herself. Wow! Armed with this knowledge I called the TA and, within 1 minute, we had our $200 credit for 2 verandas.

Hearing different opinions is very useful and interesting. Even when I or others take a viewpoint to task, seriously or otherwise, it is informative to read how different cruisers view the same situation.

Other great lessons learned: ports of call, and shopping values (or lack thereof). Except for that place where Suzanne can get great sandals for cheap. Was that in Key West?

I still haven't learned how many bottles of wine you are allowed to smuggle into the dining room on formal nights.

How has cruise critic helped me?

1. Learned about shipboard credits.
  2. Half price first night at the Pinnacle.
  3. Clamshells on HMC.
  4. Avoid the rooms right next to the outside elevators on Vista ships unless you're an exhibitionist.
  5. $14 (now $18) per bottle wine if ordered ahead of time.
  6. Favorite foods (volcano cake, bread pudding) on HAL.

I've also learned about the divergent, and passionate opinions of people. Just think of dress code.

I can't count the number of helpful hints, ideas, and useful pieces of information I've picked up from CC. Best of all is that we've met some great people here and have actually cruised with one couple from CC and are booked to cruise with them again. Never would have made these great new friends without CC.

While I haven't found this particular board very helpful, the Ports board is very good and we found the Princess board an absolutely amazing source of info. prior to our Tahiti cruise last year. There is not a board for cruisers that comes close to Cruise Critic overall. It is a tremendous source of information. Hats off to the Cruise Critic folks and all the generous people who share their experiences with us all.

I use it a lot for info on independent exploration of ports, also like the roll call feature, enjoy meeting others with similar interests aboard and best of all, just recently learned of a ship board credit available on my sailing that I was unaware of. Called HAL and after some negotiation was able to get $50 per person for both wife and I and the couple traveling with us. So definitely worth the time spent here.

More than I can possibly describe, so I'll summarize:

1. opened my eyes to itineraries I never thought I would like.

2. good information about excursion choices

3. things to do and ask for while on a HAL cruise, eg, foam bed tops, etc.

4. ways to save a few bucks

5. an opportunity to meet other Cruise Critic posters

6. and finally, a new topic of conversation for my DW and I--for instance when I come home at night, she will ask: "So who did you 'talk' to today on Cruise Critic?" :)

Like most other members who have answered this thread, I am learning from the more experienced ones. There is more every day to learn. Also, there are so many really interesting people offering advice that this is a great source of entertainment.

I know, I spend too much time reading these boards.

slinkie

Archived