WHO'S ON BOARD: Officers, Staff and Crew

C 2 C

Arno, could you please explain how to read that chart? Also, I didn't know that you worked for Celebrity!

Example Century

Master's Picture

Master's name

HD Name Tom Brady

CD Name

Picture of RM

Name of RM

Chef's Name

Picture of Hostess

Name of Hostess

Name of Party Band

Picture of Alternate Master

Name of Alternate Master

I'll be onboard for the first 50 days of the inaugurals and have three years' experience sailing on Celebrity so I promoted myself as official record keeper...;)

until I get the official name of the new host....

Edited by ~Nereus~

After my last update, I received the following concerning Millennium:

HD: Darren Tiller

CD: Rich Clesen

CC Host Bruce ? .... Learning the ropes.

Chandru as reported before, rumored to be heading for Reflection.

CC host is Bruce VanDerBoon....and yes, most defenitely learning the ropes, ...thus I'll cut him some slack and apply the '' if you can't say anything nice about somebody,say nothing'' philosophy....but he was horrible.

HD was only marginally better...and I suspect he too is fairly ''new''in that position.

Capt Patsoulas was typical. Good chap.

We never saw the Concierge host....tells you something about visibility...

Cheers

CC host is Bruce VanDerBoon....and yes, most defenitely learning the ropes, ...thus I'll cut him some slack and apply the '' if you can't say anything nice about somebody,say nothing'' philosophy....but he was horrible.

HD was only marginally better...and I suspect he too is fairly ''new''in that position.

Cheers

Hi Claude, so Bruce was not to your liking?..........horrible?

Sounds pretty bad.

CC host is Bruce VanDerBoon....and yes, most definitely learning the ropes, ...thus I'll cut him some slack and apply the '' if you can't say anything nice about somebody,say nothing'' philosophy....but he was horrible.

Cheers

Bruce might be having "teething problems" as he switches from NCL to X standards.. ??

I'll have to reformat the chart if people are having problems deciphering it.

Caissie Stafford is Flying to Quebec tomorrow to join Celebrity Summit.

If anyone has pictures of Cruise Directors they wish to share, I can attempt to add them to the chart.

Cheers

It's interesting how different people see people/things in different ways. We just got off the Millennium a little over a week ago. We thought the staff in general was outstanding.

Bruce Van der Boon is new, but we thought he did a great job. He was at every Elite breakfast, moving around the tables, talking to people, greeting everyone by name. Same with the Elite Cocktail time. He was pleasant, fun to be with, and did his job. How is that "horrible"?

Darren Tiller was also great. We really liked him and thought he set a good tone for the rest of the ship's staff.

I sent him a thank-you note for something and he answered with a personal handwritten note of his own. I appreciated that personal touch.

Rich Clesen is a very good cruise director as well. He is extremely visible and is constantly mingling with the guests at every function and was always outside greeting people after the show, etc. To us, this is an important role for the CD. Besides that, he has a great sense of humor---very fast on making humorous quips.

Yes, Captain Patsoulas is a nice chap but ---very little visibility.

Just my 2-cents worth,

Sheila

I know you have done a lot of work on this chart but its too confusing for my eyesight now, sorry. Unless you are "in the know" it is really hard to work out what each line is saying in terms of the role of the individual.

It might be a case that less is better or split the table with the key group (captain, Hotel Director Cruise Director and possible the host/hostess on one table and others on another

If people start be reading the top line, it will show which each row represents. I could put headings along the side but I believe that those on tablets would have a problem. This chart is the maximum height for my monitor.

WhosOnBoardCDpics.png

Edited by ~Nereus~

Cheers

We just got off 2 weeks on the Millie...and differed a bit from your review of staff so wanted to post our opinion.

We thought Bruce did a very good job, better than most we have had...and I don't think he's new.

Darren Tiller the HD was outstanding and has been doing the job for 10 years. The ship actually had the best cohesive attitude of any we've been on for quite awhile, with outstanding crew attitude. A very happy ship, which we love to see.

Captain Patsoulas was not really a PR man, but had a great dry sense of humor when you spoke to him.

We liked Rich Clesen...he wasn't pushy and we really appreciated his more down-to-earth and not overly fake/theatrical/raa raa attitude some of them have. He's been doing the CD job for about 12 years.

Okay...I've put in my opinion.

Cheers!

If people start be reading the top line, it will show which each row represents. I could put headings along the side but I believe that those on tablets would have a problem. This chart is the maximum height for my monitor.

WhosOnBoardCDpics.png

It seems to make better sense this way

Nereus:

Seems that this project has become your lifetime work. Officers are changing almost every week and trying to keep up with the change as is daunting task. I for one appreciate your efforts and understand how difficult it is. Thank you!

We were on the Millennium earlier this month and found the staff to be among the friendliest and most visible we ever met. HD Darren seems to have set the tone; Rich was available, friendly and funny. Bruce, the CC host was always at every CC event, mingling with the guests, conversing and offering to help. The Captain was low-key but pleasant and amiable.

There is a Latin saying, "de gustibus non est disputandum." Roughly translated, " There is no accounting for taste."

It's interesting how different people see people/things in different ways. We just got off the Millennium a little over a week ago. We thought the staff in general was outstanding.

Bruce Van der Boon is new, but we thought he did a great job. He was at every Elite breakfast, moving around the tables, talking to people, greeting everyone by name. Same with the Elite Cocktail time. He was pleasant, fun to be with, and did his job. How is that "horrible"?

Darren Tiller was also great. We really liked him and thought he set a good tone for the rest of the ship's staff.

I sent him a thank-you note for something and he answered with a personal handwritten note of his own. I appreciated that personal touch.

Rich Clesen is a very good cruise director as well. He is extremely visible and is constantly mingling with the guests at every function and was always outside greeting people after the show, etc. To us, this is an important role for the CD. Besides that, he has a great sense of humor---very fast on making humorous quips.

Yes, Captain Patsoulas is a nice chap but ---very little visibility.

Just my 2-cents worth,

Sheila

Great post Shelia. When I read the first post how horrible Bruce was and how average Darren was I thought something was very wrong. Darren has been around for years as an Assistant HD (Equinox) and is one of the best HDs especially with his positive friendly attitude. Jacque de Guzman, GSM currently, is a consumate professional. The ML has a great cohesive team of officers. The negatives on here really irk me at times. The world "horrible" when read by a manager in MIA can ruin someones career. Thanks for clarifying.

Great post Shelia. When I read the first post how horrible Bruce was and how average Darren was I thought something was very wrong. Darren has been around for years as an Assistant HD (Equinox) and is one of the best HDs especially with his positive friendly attitude. Jacque de Guzman, GSM currently, is a consumate professional. The ML has a great cohesive team of officers. The negatives on here really irk me at times. The world "horrible" when read by a manager in MIA can ruin someones career. Thanks for clarifying.

We had Jacquie as GSM for the second week on the Millie...also doing a great job. The staff...which we directly attribute to Darren Tiller's leadership as HD, really was outstanding. Both in relation to their attentions to guests, but even more (to me) their interplay and happy relations between the crew members and their attitudes to their jobs. They really seemed to be enjoying their work, which considering the long hours on a cruise ship can be very noticeable in it's absence. This was, literally, the happiest ship as far as crew goes, that we have been on in 50 cruises!

Arno:

I think the chart is awesome.... Thank you for your exceptional contribution to this thread. I am enjoying it......

As for my "two cents" in regards to Darren Tiller, I never saw him mingle with ANY passengers in non-forced social situations this summer on the Summit. But shall we judge a hotel director by his/her social skills or hotel operation abilities?

Arno:

I think the chart is awesome.... Thank you for your exceptional contribution to this thread. I am enjoying it......

But shall we judge a hotel director by his/her social skills or hotel operation abilities?

Thank you for your kind words.

Several years ago we cruised with a couple who asked us to say hello to a certain HD with whom we would soon be sailing. When we passed on their names to the HD, the HD did not remember them at all and showed no willingness to learn who they were.

We have to be very careful when we evaluate our interaction with staff. They see so many passengers that most are forgotten as soon as the next turnover day. We have our favorites, just as the staff will do more for some passengers than for others.

Then again, I would never make a judgement on any of the staff based on one persons opinion, because that's all it is. Its a one sided perspective of one persons experience. I've seen passengers that were absolutely a hotel staff worst nightmare, men and woman, young and old of just about every nationality, that were so self absorbed they were a pain at every juncture. Demanding, rude, and then wonder why the staff doesn't want to cater their whims.

Luckily though most people are the opposite, and those are the people that I cherish seeing on cruises. The people that are there to relax and enjoy, and don't let little nuiscances annoy their voyage. The ones that say please and thank you, and laugh when there is a queue rather than push and curse about it.

I can honestly say in 15 years or so of cruising, I can only theink of a half dozen staff members, that I thought really weren't suited for their work

It's good to hear some nice comments in regards to Millie as we board her in about a month.....I was getting nervous! We have had Rich Clesen as CD before and really enjoyed him. I agree with the comment that Rich is more "down to earth and less theatrical - very nice gentleman. Looking forward to meeting Bruce, the new CC Host.

Thank you so much, Nereus, for all the work you have done. I think it looks great! :)

I agree with the comment that Rich is more "down to earth and less theatrical - very nice gentleman. Looking forward to meeting Bruce, the new CC Host.

Thank you. Please pass on our greetings to Rich, and we welcome comments on progress of our latest host. I believe hosts have the toughest job on board and they have a high burn out rate.

Sometimes an onboard experience is similar to a nice drive in the countryside, wonderful until we get sideswiped through no fault of our own but not affecting anyone else.

Thank you. Please pass on our greetings to Rich, and we welcome comments on progress of our latest host.

I will pass your greetings on to Rich. :)

I gather you will not be on our Silhouette TA in Dec. now?

On to the Reflection?

If so, have a great cruise!

I wonder who the CC Host/Hostess will be on the Silhouette TA?

It is included in post 1067, however you may be having the issues I am now having as the chart has so many pictures in it now, unfortunately my PC refuses to display it. On an older PC we have it seems ok but of course its a no go area on my IPAD :(