Electronic Device Left in Cabin R722 - Ruby Princess

earnied

While on our Ruby Princess cruise 3/14 - 3/21 we found an electronic device that had been left in cabin R722 (Riviera Deck). If you're out there on this forum and want it back, identify the device and we'll make arrangements to get it back to you.

While on our Ruby Princess cruise 3/14 - 3/21 we found an electronic device that had been left in cabin R722 (Riviera Deck). If you're out there on this forum and want it back, identify the device and we'll make arrangements to get it back to you.

Why would you not have turned it in to the Pursers desk?

I agree with the other posters - you should have turned this into the pursers desk or your room steward.

Contrary to what it may seem on these boards, not everyone who cruises belongs to cruise critic. I cruised for 10 cruises before I found cruise critic. On one of those cruises, I left my palm pilot in the safe. I didn't realize it until a couple of days after I got home. I contacted Princess lost and found department and told them what I was missing. I never expected to see it again, but lo and behold about three weeks later I got a package in the mail with my palm pilot in it. What a joy. I wasn't a cruise critic member at that time - and even if I was I would not have contacted these boards first - I would contact Princess first and then maybe start a thread.

You should send a note and the device to the Princess lost and found department. Hopefully, they will be able to match it up with the owner.

Yes only a fraction use this website, now when the owner calls Princess to retrieve it they will have no record. :rolleyes:

I agree send it back. it may already be too late as the owner may have already called and told that nothing was found.

I left something behind and it was never returned to the Pursars Desk...either taken by the room steward or next guests. Don't blame the poster. You never know what the right thing is sometimes.

We just got off the ship and we are waiting in the airport to go home. We were just in cabin R 722, on 3/21 - 3/28. I would have thought that the room steward Mongkon, would have spotted anything that was left behind. Why did it take you a week to put a message on here that you found something???

Dan

I left something behind and it was never returned to the Pursars Desk...either taken by the room steward or next guests. Don't blame the poster. You never know what the right thing is sometimes.

Taking someone elses property is a gray area??

The right thing to do is to always turn it into the Pursar's Desk so there's no question about the cabin steward or next guests keeping it. That way, it goes right into the Lost & Found which if not found while on the cruise, is sent on to Princess HQ where they inventory it in case anyone contacts them. Taking it home with you is definitely not the right thing to do. :(

The right thing to do is to turn it in. I would suggest sending it to Princess with specifics (what room, what week).
Absolutely.

Wait,just because you turn it into the pursers desk,does'nt mean it'll get back to the owner,He probably thought he could get it back to the owners quicker;)

Regardless, it is not the passengers responsibility or right to take this on in the first place.

Okay, but maybe everyone is missing the point. The "devise" may be something of a personal nature, might not have wanted to "turn it in".

Well, that still doesn't give him leave to remove other peoples' belongings from the ship. Even if it had been "personal," handing it over to his steward or at the purser's desk with a simple "This was left in my cabin by a previous occupant" doesn't seem like it would have been too traumatic. Maybe he just wants this device for himself and so is doing a random, ineffective search for its rightful owner. He can now keep whatever it is, pretending he has a clear conscience because, after all, he "tried" to give it back.

I have been cruising since 1967. During that time I have innocently lost a few items. The only item every returned was an expensive pair of sunglasses that rolled out of my bag on a shore excursion. The person who found them were mine and was in the taxi after we had been it!

Over the years I have turned many things into the Purser. However, when you exit your cabin, anything left in it is thrown away. That is the instructions from the "home office". How do I know? I frequently sail back to back and am allowed to remain on board [with quick run through US Customs before reboarding ~10 mins] and have seen the large trash bags that line all the cabin hallways. I know many crew members of several lines and have been told they are strictly instructed to toss anything found on the morning of disembarkation after the passengers have left their stateroom for the last time.

I probably would have turned it in to the Purser, especially if it was something I found in my cabin.

Wait,just because you turn it into the pursers desk,does'nt mean it'll get back to the owner,He probably thought he could get it back to the owners quicker;)
Turning it in to the Pursar's Desk means that there's a record of it and it's now Princess' responsibility. And how could he get it back to the owners if he's off the ship and back home? Regardless, it's not his electronic device; what would happen if he can't find the owner? Keep it? Throw it away? If you'd lost something, wouldn't you contact Princess first?

Hi All.

Over the years I have added in camera, mobile phone, glasses, gold chain. kids books ans a wallet with money etc in it.

Can not say what happened to all items, but I do know that wallet and phone were claimed as I asked if they had.

As to take anothers goods sorry but this is wrong and if of a personel nature would you want touch it.

yours Shogun

I will agree that an item found in your cabin while onboard should be handed in to the purser's desk immediately so that they can hopefully return it to its rightful owner.

But to give the OP the benefit of the doubt perhaps they had not realized they had taken someone else's property. I have travelled with a friend and have had a little confusion over electronic items, cords etc. As we do not know what the item is, we are perhaps jumping to conclusions without the facts.

At this point, what can and should be done, is to contact Princess to let them know they are in possession of the item and make arrangements to return it. Not only would this be the most effective way to try and contact the owner of the property but it is the RIGHT thing to do.

Rochelle

Over the years we have seen things left in our stateroom that the room steward has missed when cleaning. Once a pair of tennis shoes I found under the bed, I turned them over to the room steward.

Another time, the room steward knocked on the door just after we boarded and asked if he could look for a diamond necklace that the previous passengers thought they left in the stateroom. We assisted him in the search, but no diamond necklast was found. I have always hoped that those passengers found the necklace packed somewhere.

Some do contact the ship about lost items after disembarking and Princess does the best they can to locate these items and return them to the rightful owner.

Maybe the OP didn't realize when they brought this item home that posting this on CC would only reach a very small fraction of the passengers that sailed on that ship. Was it to clear their minds, like putting an add in the paper for a lost dog or something you would like to keep for yourself? Or did they just not realize the procedure for turning in lost items? We'll probably never know.

But this is a good lesson to everyone that if something is found in the stateroom left by the previous passengers, turn it in to the room steward or the purser's desk, don't take it upon yourself to attempt to find the owner. ;)

I agree with everyone that trying to locate the owner of a lost item on CC is not the best way to go. Many, many cruisers have never heard of this site (unfortunately!).

I found a diamond tennis bracelet on deck on our first cruise, and turned it in at the purser's desk. While I was standing there, a woman called and asked if anyone had turned in a diamond tennis bracelet. She was asked to describe it and was so excited to hear it was there in the lost and found. She ran downstairs to the desk and met me, thanking me profusely since it was originally her mother's bracelet. No way would bringing that bracelet home with me to search on CC have been the better way to go!

Well I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at how many responders chose to directly criticize me regarding my post without knowing the whole story. Sadly, I see this time and time again on this forum.

Perhaps I should take some blame for not providing more details but I live a very busy life and was merely taking a quick first step in trying to locate the owner of an item that we accidently brought home with us. My wife does all of the unpacking and packing on the ship (should I expect more criticism) and she unknowingly packed an item that had been left behind by previous occupants from some prior cruise. If the cabin steward checked to make sure that the drawers were empty and clean after each cruise we wouldn't be in this situation.

At any rate the post did bring up some good points about how this type of situation should be properly handled and my gratitude to those responders that gave me the benefit of doubt and chose to address the general issue rather than go on the attack.

This is a good lesson to everyone that if something is found in the stateroom left by the previous passengers, turn it in to the room steward or the purser's desk, don't take it upon yourself to attempt to find the owner.

Earnied

Earnied: Thank you for trying to do the "right thing", in any way that you thought might work.

I've actually been rewarded twice for finding camera's (one onboard, in a lounge and another under a bench after disembarking), on two different occasions and on two different lines.

Luckily the owner's names were in both camera cases. The camera's, both times, were very, very valuable!

The first person, onboard the Oosterdam bought me a beautiful album (from the gift shop.) When I turned in the camera to the Purser's desk, they asked my name and the gift was left in our cabin with a thank you note attached (I'm sure it was placed there by the Purser's desk.) The second time, we had no choice but to take the camera with us and I called the number on the business card inside (they were located in the same town I worked in) and, came to my office with a lovely plant, that I still have to this day (this was two years ago!)

I truly believe that most people are pure of heart and will do the right thing. You are very kind to open it up to the CC boards......who knows, wonders never cease, you could reach the right person. It would be a good idea to let Princess know, as well!

It's also a good lesson to all of us.....put some identifiable information in with our valuables (if at all possible!)

Turning it in to the Pursar's Desk means that there's a record of it and it's now Princess' responsibility.

Hi, Pam. What type of record is kept at the purser's desk? I lost a gold/diamond charm and kept checking with the purser's desk each day. They checked in some bins stashed under the counter, but, never took my name/cabin number to notify me if it was turned in. I'm not sure how much "record keeping" actually occurs.

Now everyone knows the reason you didn't turn it in to purser's desk - you did the next best thing.

You get points in my book for trying to find the owner.

If you are unsuccessful on these boards, you probably should send it to Princess with the sailing dates, ship and cabin number requesting them to contact the owner.

I wonder if Princess would give the owner your telephone number. I'm sure the owner would like to thank you personally.

Archived