Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

So what are they protesting in that particular area? Are they upset that some of their fellow countrymen lucked out and scored a job with RCI and they want to sabotage that? Are they protesting rich tourist showing up in their country and they want to sabotage that and, again, hurt their own countrymen who are making a living off of the tourists?

What does protesting in the harbor around Labadee accomplish?

Are you eastern or western next week?

Am also on the Freedom. Was an interesting, chaotic scene this beautiful, sunny and warm morning with about 10 motorized and colorful island watercraft carrying about 15-20 protesters each. Several non motorized row boaters also joined in.

Protest signage were election related and included demands calling for reforms. Flags and an large wooden cross were also waved from certain boats. After circling the docked Freedom for about an hour, the boats moved and confined their protest activity to an area near the waverunner/activity dock.

Will try and upload photos when I get a chance.

The protests are election related.

I assume protesting at Labadee would be an attempt to get press coverage both locally and internationally. Labadee is by far the biggest travel related contributor to the Haitian economy.

More like they are shooting themselves in the foot. Tourists just won't come and the folks lucky enough to be making a living off of the tourists will be making nothing.

I doubt the groups of protesters included any of the workers at Labadee.

Of course not and how much money did those workers at Labadee make in tips today as Freedom pulled up its gangway and sailed away? I doubt that those workers are thanking their countrymen in those colerful boats out in the harbor. Again, they are pointing the gun at their feet pulling the trigger. The 4000 people aboard Freedom aren't going to be able to do a thing to fix whatever it is the Haitians are trying to accomplish. They simply sailed away. And if the Haitians don't knock it off RCI won't send a ship back there until they do. And the dollars aboard those ships will go somewhere else.

Edited by Ocean Boy

What does protesting in the harbor around Labadee accomplish?

I doubt the groups of protesters included any of the workers at Labadee.

Saying in a joking voice, All I can think off is the Labadee workers who demand $ to set up the beach chairs.:D

Hmmm... 6 weeks from today, we're scheduled to be in Labadee on our sailing. I'm guessing that things will likely settle down before we get there, but who knows. All things considered, if we don't end up being able to port there, knowing what is going on in the country, I can't really complain.

I agree on this part, they need to have a place more like Half Moon Cay . HMC is by far the best of the private islands.

Different strokes...We've been to Half Moon Cay several times and don't bother going ashore there anymore. Yes, the beach is a beautiful white sand, but it's boring compared to Labadee.

We are scheduled to stop there next week on Anthem. Wonder if all the protests will die down after the election or if it will just get worse.

Probably worth keeping an eye on the next few days. That said, for at least this week and next, I would plan on not being in Labadee, and take it as a pleasant surprise if you are able to port in.

But that hasn't happened yet.

That is why they are protesting. They are trying to stop the election and apparently overthrow the exiting president.

From ABC news report

Roughly 2,000 protesters took to the streets in downtown Port-au-Prince calling for new elections and the immediate removal of outgoing President Michel Martelly, among other grievances.

Edited by ksuds

I agree on this part, they need to have a place more like Half Moon Cay . HMC is by far the best of the private islands.

Good thing about Labadee is that it has a permanent pier. Places like Cococay are nice, but get skipped way too often to be reliable. Personally I am 0 for 2 with Cococay. Any chances of a permanent port being built there or is that not a doable thing?

Good thing about Labadee is that it has a permanent pier. Places like Cococay are nice, but get skipped way too often to be reliable. Personally I am 0 for 2 with Cococay. Any chances of a permanent port being built there or is that not a doable thing?

Not really.

Like Grand Cayman, CocoCay is surrounded by a coral reef. It's environmentally sensitive.

Not really.

Like Grand Cayman, CocoCay is surrounded by a coral reef. It's environmentally sensitive.

Well... Grand Cayman is getting ready to destroy their coral reef to build a cruise pier. Not that this has any impact on Royal Caribbean's ability to do the same at CocoCay. Just saying.

It would be really nice if they could find a private island (or peninsula NOT in Haiti) with the capability to build a dock like Disney did with Castaway Cay.

Going to Labadee is two weeks. Was looking forward to some beach time. I hope they just do a sea day if it Labadee gets cancelled.

Oh not me, I sure hope they find us a different port when I go in February if they are not going to Labadee. I chose the western route because private islands are my favorite ports and Labadee has a dock so weather wouldn't be an issue - never thought about civil unrest though!!! I would have preferred the Eastern itinerary but didn't want to take the chance we wouldn't be able to tender at Cococay. I tend to agree with other posters, I LOVE Half Moon Cay!

Haiti is a waste of Royals money go someplace else or create your own private island true private island. Those people are stupid and you can't fix stupid by just throwing money at them. America has thrown money all over the world and look where that has gotten us.

So then who are the "stupid" ones? ;)

Not really.

Where did you get that information? Disney built a dock at Castaway key and it's not to far from Little Stirrup Cay and has the same type of reef structure. Edited by FLACRUISER99