breakway leaving bermuda early

shof515

They have got to have rough seas even on the way home, that cone is is wide, yes they are avoiding the hurricane but they can't avoid the rough seas and all that wind. There be rough surf and rip currents that will continue along the east coast of the USA for several days.

You really have to feel sorry for the planners and mgmt at the cruise lines. These storms are really messing things up for them.

And, before somebody jumps in, all due respect and prayers for those getting hit directly by the storms.

Its an act of God can't help these things but we have to think about all the devastation the hurricanes did and to the islands that cruise ships dock at....St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Grand Turk, Key. West and now San Juan and who knows who else as Maria still out there around other islands. Lets not forget the families here that are totally unable to contact their friends and family to see whether they alive or not....I have a friend her entire family lives in San Juan, right close to where the eye hit, there is 100% no communication whatsoever now on that island, I can't imagine what she and others are going through, and from what I read it take many months to restore communications ugh!

As far as cruising most cruise for the ports, I cruise for the ship but I would think its time now that cruise lines need another plan on other islands to visit, I am sure they are already thinking about this.

We, in New Zealand, are thinking of all of you who have had vacations spoiled because of the weather and are glad we have never been in your situation. However we feel more concern for all those who are or have been in the direct paths of the hurricanes. You have been inconvenienced, they have been seriously affected. You have been able to "run away" while they have had to experience it.

Mike & Pauline

Norwegian Breakaway is leaving Bermuda early tomorrow at around 6pm instead of the usually Friday 3pm departure. Looks like they want to get ahead of the storm.

NCL.com (in the weather updates blurb) reports that they are leaving early in order to sail around TS Jose which is camped of the NJ coast right now. The early departure allows them to find some smoother waters to make the ride more comfortable for the passengers.

I was also on that cruise. Hindsight is 20/20, and I understand why NCL was being conservative about safety, nor am I complaining about the decision, but in this case it turns out they blew the call because Jose dissipated before it would have been a problem for BA on the return trip. I overheard a lot of nonsensical grumbling from passengers about it, including one passenger loudly proclaiming that she heard the real reason BA left early was because it had to vacate its dock to make room for another ship, which of course was complete nonsense.

Stuff happens due to weather. I can't even count all the port calls in various parts of the world we've missed altogether or had shortened because of weather conditions over the years. You have to accept it and make the best of it.

I was on this cruise too. Rough on the way out, at one point we had 24 ft waves. Bermuda was lovely and while we completely understand the Captain knows better than any of us, we were wondering why we left early only to crawl our way back at 11 knots.

Pool was closed most of the time but we wanted hot tubs anyway. Weather was actually better than I expected and we had a great cruise. Purchased CND so we'll be going again :)