Confusion with lotus pool

Travelbug1978

We are sailing on the coral in july to alaska. The lotus pool is the only one enclosed and have read it is adult only. Is this even true for an alaskan cruise. I know my kids will want to swim. It's going to be a bit chilly swimming in the open pool let alone getting out and sitting on the chairs or supervising.

If Lotus pool is listed as adults only then it is adults only. It doesn't matter where the cruise is going. If the weather is rough and cold you may find the pools closed and covered by a net. That's how it was on our first trip to Alaska. Alternately the pools may be open but the adult only pool is still adults only.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1

Princess planned it that way to save money. You see the free ice cream is right there next to the adult pool. When the kids come to scarf up the ice cream they see all of the fat old people letting it all hang out and lose their appetites. Saves a lot of money on ice cream. ;p

Note: Yes, I am a fat old person.

Princess planned it that way to save money. You see the free ice cream is right there next to the adult pool. When the kids come to scarf up the ice cream they see all of the fat old people letting it all hang out and lose their appetites. Saves a lot of money on ice cream. ;p

Note: Yes, I am a fat old person.

Thrak, So your the reason why there always running out of ice cream :D.

Tony

Be happy you are able to cruise when your kids are still small. I wasn't able to cruise until well after the nest was empty. They are kids. They will adapt. Their time will come. I raised my 3 kids plus an extra one we took in when he was 14. My wife ran a daycare in our home for 20 years and I actually worked for her full time for 4.5 years. I like kids. Now I'm old and want peace and quiet. My grandkids run from 21 (it was his birthday today :)) to 17 to 15. (It seems I will have a new one in late September!) It's time to relax, have a drink, read, and fall asleep. That just doesn't work with the noise of happy (or especially unhappy) kids.

A new family moved into the house across my back fence. I was fixing a board on the fence and the guy was talking to me and he apologized for the noise his kids make. I told him it is happy noise and we like it and not to worry about it at all. It's a nice kind of noise. I don't mind it on some parts of the ship at all either. I get a grin sometimes when I go past the pool and see the kids having fun. I just need some place where it isn't happening and where I can hang out peacefully.

Thrak, So your the reason why there always running out of ice cream :D.

Tony

No. My wife eats far more ice cream than I do. I'm the reason they run out of Bulleit Bourbon and Glenlivet 12 year old single malt Scotch.

This wouldn't have been my first choice of cruise to take my family on but we aren't the ones that picked it and arent paying for the majority of it. I am thankful for this opportunity and probably would never been able to do this. I was just stating it would be nice if kids and families had the opportunity to swim some where that is sheltered from the wind and cold. Pardon me if I don't want to swim in a pool when it's 15 degrees out. I didn't say they had to be in it the whole time. An hour or 2 a day set aside. Yes kids can adapt for sure but why can't people share. We all are paying our money just like you are. Why don't you take the open pool then and make it adults only if you think it's fair. I guess since the ice cream is there they will be hanging out and I am sure it will be nice and peaceful with kids jacked up on sugar.

All this worrying for not. What if....it is so warm in Alaska that you would welcome the open aired pools? It could happen. I was in Alaska when the temps were very warm.

And in my humble opinion, there are sometimes adults have more privileges (not necessarily rights) than children. They earned it. Adults are not allowed to play in the kids' club. This is just the way things are.

one of my alaska trips it was 32 c; another trip it poured all week. don't worry about the pools. there is so much else for the kids to do and see that they might not have time for the pool. its also not wide open. the deck is enclosed by glass with a large overhang from the deck on top (does that make sense?).

and i don't mean to sound snarky though it may come out that way. you said "This wouldn't have been my first choice of cruise to take my family on but we aren't the ones that picked it and arent paying for the majority of it. I am thankful for this opportunity and probably would never been able to do this". this was my first choice of a cruise to take my family on and it continues to be. my grown kids still choose princess and alaska is a favourite. i hope your family has a wonderful time.

This wouldn't have been my first choice of cruise to take my family on but we aren't the ones that picked it and arent paying for the majority of it. I am thankful for this opportunity and probably would never been able to do this. I was just stating it would be nice if kids and families had the opportunity to swim some where that is sheltered from the wind and cold. Pardon me if I don't want to swim in a pool when it's 15 degrees out. I didn't say they had to be in it the whole time. An hour or 2 a day set aside. Yes kids can adapt for sure but why can't people share. We all are paying our money just like you are. Why don't you take the open pool then and make it adults only if you think it's fair. I guess since the ice cream is there they will be hanging out and I am sure it will be nice and peaceful with kids jacked up on sugar.

Remember what I said earlier? Our first cruise to Alaska the pools were all closed and covered with netting. It can happen. Please don't get too stressed. You love your kids and they love you and the adventure of a cruise can be amazing. I don't know if they have cruised before but, if they haven't, the whole cruise experience will be amazing. They can also make use of the kid's programs. I've been told that kids like them a lot. Remember that there are other venues that are off limits to kids. After certain hours they aren't allowed in certain venues that become just bars or nightclubs.

When I was young I remember going out to a restaurant - ONCE - and only being allowed to order soup. I wanted a steak. Yeah, right. Life isn't always how one wants it to be. Be happy you can cruise. Be happy you can give your kids this type of experience at all. Mine got to go camping a lot and enjoyed it. They never got to cruise at all. Heck, they didn't get to stay in a motel and use the pool there. This too shall pass.

Don't let anybody or anything here on CC get you riled or worried.

The Lotus Pool is not adults only. The Lotus Spa pool (small pool inside the spa) is adults only.
The Lotus Pool was adults only when we were on the Island Princess. I assumed it was the same for the Coral (and others have reported that's so).

Bear in mind too that the Lotus Pool has no music or bar service and located just below the Sanctuary (it is on the Emerald anyway, which is my only experience). It is also quite small. It is designed as a peaceful retreat.

Pardon me if I don't want to swim in a pool when it's 15 degrees out. /quote]

I'm sure you intended the "15 degrees" as hyperbole, but you will likely find some nice sunny days/hours in July. I don't think it will be as bad as you think. Many people enjoy the open pools on the Alaska cruises.

While it has been a few years, the covered pool was not adults only when I sailed on the Coral Princess.

I think the aft pool was adults only (is it still there?).

Nope. The Coral does not now, nor never has had an Aft Pool. You are thinking of the ships like the Crown where it is on Deck 14. Those are Aft pools that are Adult only.

one of my alaska trips it was 32 c; another trip it poured all week. don't worry about the pools. there is so much else for the kids to do and see that they might not have time for the pool. its also not wide open. the deck is enclosed by glass with a large overhang from the deck on top (does that make sense?).

and i don't mean to sound snarky though it may come out that way. you said "This wouldn't have been my first choice of cruise to take my family on but we aren't the ones that picked it and arent paying for the majority of it. I am thankful for this opportunity and probably would never been able to do this". this was my first choice of a cruise to take my family on and it continues to be. my grown kids still choose princess and alaska is a favourite. i hope your family has a wonderful

My children are 8 9 13 and by nephew are 9 and 11. I am sure they will have a wonderful time. I am hoping they enjoy the scenery they may not appreciate it a as much as adults. They would have probably enjoyed a caribbean more especially this being their first cruise.

Pardon me if I don't want to swim in a pool when it's 15 degrees out. /quote]

I'm sure you intended the "15 degrees" as hyperbole, but you will likely find some nice sunny days/hours in July. I don't think it will be as bad as you think. Many people enjoy the open pools on the Alaska cruises.

Sorry I am canadian so 15 to me is 60 to you