Heard That Celebrity is Planning to Home Port a Ship for California Ports

mcrcruiser

Could be the Eclipse in April 2019 after returning from South America. I would love to see the return of 15 night round trip to Hawaii from SD like the Century did in 2013!

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

It would be fantastic to have a ship based on the west coast.

Could be the Eclipse in April 2019 after returning from South America. I would love to see the return of 15 night round trip to Hawaii from SD like the Century did in 2013!

That would mean the end of my much loved annual two-week Southern Caribbean cruise on Eclipse. :loudcry:

Isn't there a post currently on the Princess board stating that they are just waiting for the announcement of a new ship sailing from California? Wonder if your source is getting mixed up or possibly X are considering a ship in direct competition?

imo from a purely marketing point of view RCCL Corporation can ill afford not to recognize this huge market . Thus ,placing a ship to do many west coast itineraries seems like a natural thing for them to do ;)

It surely would be more convenient to board a Celebrity or even a RCCL ship & do a 14 /15 night Round trip Hawaii cruise .Then there are Pacific coastal cruises ,Mexican Riviera cruises ,Partial Panama Canal cruises ie :)

The problem with the west coast is that there are not many choices to sail to from the west coast. Mexico is fine but the perception of crime deters lots of people. Mexican Riviera cruises are among the cheapest because they can't fill the ships. To add more ships would just depress prices even more. Hawaii is great, but many people do not want the sea days involved in a round trip sailing. Alaska is a short season and requires 10 night sailings from everywhere but Seattle.

Celebrity will put their limited fleet where they can make the most money.

As a fellow West Coaster, I'd love to see this happen. However, I'll believe it when I see it. The OP starts threads on this subject often. The most recent was just last week. So I remain hopeful, but leery!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2481805

Yup, don't believe anything until you see a press release....

Sure hope this comes true.

However, with NCL bringing a brand new ship, "Bliss", to the west coast for Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Celebrity needs to counter and this time, "get it done".

Edited by ShakeDaddy

It surely would be more convenient to board a Celebrity or even a RCCL ship & do a 14 /15 night Round trip Hawaii cruise .Then there are Pacific coastal cruises ,Mexican Riviera cruises ,Partial Panama Canal cruises ie :)

Not sure anyone does a partial panama canal cruise from the west coast. The partials tend to be from the east coast (Florida) to Lake Gatun and back. Much more problematic to do a partial from the west side. Probably why west side panama canal cruises are full transit.

I agree, likely the Eclipse. This is a fact that the Eclipse is repositioning to the west coast in 2019. It's going to be a wait until we find out what Celebrity intends to do with her as far as itineraries go.

Please let it be true and please let it be San Francisco! :D

Agree X use to have ships out of San Francisco... I think the cruise lines are waiting up to the fact many folks don't want to fly anymore... flying is such a miserable experience these days... we keep going on t he Grand for that reason. Would welcome some options.

Not sure anyone does a partial panama canal cruise from the west coast. The partials tend to be from the east coast (Florida) to Lake Gatun and back. Much more problematic to do a partial from the west side. Probably why west side panama canal cruises are full transit.

I know of at least one - Island Princess, round trip from LA, 9/23/17. Fantastic itinerary, unfortunately not such a great ship, or we'd be booked on it. We'd love to see some other ship do this trip from either LA or San Diego.