Uncomfortable Beds!!!

j&ps

We're just returned from a week on Serenade of the Seas and have decided that RCCL must have the most uncomfortable mattresses on the high seas. Just like sleeping on a board. And if you have arthritic back issues like I do, it's especially bad. For this reason, we'll do any future sailings on a cruise line that has comfortable sleeping.

We had an extremely uncomfortable bed on the Explorer last spring. After getting home I read that we could have asked for a mattress pad/cover or a mattress change out. We cruised again on the Explorer in the fall, in a different cabin and the mattress was excellent. I think it depends on the usage and wear and tear of specific cabins.

Now I know, that if the bed is uncomfortable to ask for assistance. Also...through Care Vacations you can rent a recliner, etc., for problem backs. My DH has sever arthritis and we rent a recliner for him which gives him a place to rest comfortably and recharge during our cruises.

Different strokes for different folks. I have found every cruise bed comfortable, and I sleep well every time.

:)

That having been said, you can ask your cabin steward for all sorts of mattress toppers: egg crate, extra comforter, blankets, etc.

My bed on the Brilliance last month was very hard...even with a topper...going again in April & if it's to hard again will ask for an extra duvet...those are nice & comfy! My bed on the Enchantment in Sept. was just fine...

We're just returned from a week on Serenade of the Seas and have decided that RCCL must have the most uncomfortable mattresses on the high seas. Just like sleeping on a board. And if you have arthritic back issues like I do, it's especially bad. For this reason, we'll do any future sailings on a cruise line that has comfortable sleeping.

Don't stop cruising Royal because of one uncomfortable bed. Not every bed on every ship is like that.

I can only recall one uncomfortable bed and that was last month on Enchantment. It was an accessible cabin though. Seems that it was slightly higher than typical bed and the mattress was thinner. So bad that it offset all the additional room space.

Ask for a mattress topper. No problem. I personally have not found the beds as uncomfortable. But I travel for a living so I'm used to a variety of mattresses. Not sure they'd be any better on any other cruise line. I've done Carnival, NCL, Princess, and Celebrity. All seemed the same to me.

My wife would agree with you that the beds are terrible. I have no problem sleeping anywhere but she automatically asks for a mattress topper on every cruise, and sometimes asks for an additional topper after the first night if she can't sleep. The stewards are very nice about granting her requests.

I had an egg crate and duvet to sleep on and it's still not enough. Need about a 6" memory foam to make a difference. And I'm not a large person.

With back issues, if the mattress doesn't give it puts pressure on other nerves, etc. A real pain - literally and figuratively. We've sailed on several cruise lines - find Holland the best for beds with NCL and Princess before the back issues so don't remember the beds. Guess we'll spend our cruise $ seeing more of America using the car.

I had an egg crate and duvet to sleep on and it's still not enough. Need about a 6" memory foam to make a difference. And I'm not a large person.

With back issues, if the mattress doesn't give it puts pressure on other nerves, etc. A real pain - literally and figuratively. We've sailed on several cruise lines - find Holland the best for beds with NCL and Princess before the back issues so don't remember the beds. Guess we'll spend our cruise $ seeing more of America using the car.

Don't mean to stir the pot, but are hotel beds any bettet

Sounds good...enjoy!

I think the Marriott line has Simmons. We used to had terrible trouble w/ beds, especially at Sleep Inn, then we heard Marriott had improved their mattresses, so that's where we stay.

We stayed in Princess in a Suite and an Inside Cabin, and both had bad beds. So far, we've been lucky w/ Royal Caribbean, but recently we've stuck w/ Junior Suites.

I've had very comfy mattresses at Country Inn and Suites in Ames, Iowa, a Marriott Springhill Suites on Colorado Springs, and at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs. Worst mattresses ever at a Red Roof Inn in Louisiana somewhere and also at a Motel 6 on Downers Grove, Illinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

How do you know the other lines will have more comfortable beds?

Here's an interesting thought -

I was in the Royal Suite last year on the Adventure and the bed was "ok".

I was in an inside cabin for a few nights on the Liberty this past November and it was by far the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in on a ship :) I still think about that bed.....it really was heavenly :p

Was on the Serenade recently and had the best nights sleep in a long while. In fact love the bedding on all RC ships.!:)

You never know what you're going to get. In thirty years of cruising.....we've been pretty lucky. But it has been my experience that if you tell the cabin steward that the bed is uncomfortable.....they will do everything they can to make it better.

On the Oasis (or any RCI ship) can you feel the crack where the two twin beds are pushed together? My 8 year old daughter will most likely be sleeping in the bed with us (to give her restless sleeper brother more room on the pullout) and I am wondering if she will be uncomfortable on the "crack."