Walt Disney World transportation

Gerry P

I just looked on the NCL websight and the Disney park excursion including the shuttle there and back is $248.00. I looked on the Disney websight a daily ticket is only $105.00. What a price difference. Is there any other transportation available other than NCL shore excursion. I want something that is reliable, so I won't miss the boat.

Any help?

The only other way to go is to rent a car. It's a 45 min drive, and you would have to pay for parking. Much of your time there will be spent waiting in lines. I would never visit WDW as a ships excursion. Visit the Ports of Call board for Florida for other ideas. EM

Edited by Essiesmom

I'm a big Disney parks fan and spend 30+ nights per year at Walt Disney World every year. That said, I'd never bother doing it as a ship's excursion (or independently as a port on a cruise). It would be a complete waste of money!!! The only way to "do" Disney is to take multiple days, stay at a Disney resort, book certain attractions and meals ahead of time from home, etc. Showing up after the parks have opened means you're standing in lines right from the start. From a cruise, you'll have to leave fairly early - missing all the nighttime stuff. It really makes no sense to me - save Disney for when you can do it right, and get some bang for your buck!

Sue/WDW1972

Agreed....,you will NOT have enough time to make that money worth it. Do a land vacation to Disney....you need AT LEAST a week, if not 10 days!!! It can actually take 30-45 mins. to get from the parking area INTO the actual park!!!

Edited by cb at sea

We're Disney Vacation Club members at the Grand Floridian and I would never, ever do a trip to Disney as a shore excursion. It will take a bus over an hour to get to the park, then you have to off load everyone, stand in line just to get in the park and then do all the walking. And after that, if you have time to do even a couple of rides, you could be standing in line for an hour or longer at the most popular lines. Yes, you can try and do Fast Pass, but unless you know what you're doing, that might not even work for you. I don't know what time your ship leaves, but if it's 5 or 6 pm, that trip is not worth it.

As for the cost of the excursion, what you're paying isn't all that much. The ticket to get in, the cost of the bus (fuel--driver pay and all that) plus the cost to park the bus in the lot is not cheap. Heck, nothing having to do with Disney isn't cheap.

I'm a big Disney parks fan and spend 30+ nights per year at Walt Disney World every year. That said, I'd never bother doing it as a ship's excursion (or independently as a port on a cruise). It would be a complete waste of money!!! The only way to "do" Disney is to take multiple days, stay at a Disney resort, book certain attractions and meals ahead of time from home, etc. Showing up after the parks have opened means you're standing in lines right from the start. From a cruise, you'll have to leave fairly early - missing all the nighttime stuff. It really makes no sense to me - save Disney for when you can do it right, and get some bang for your buck!

Sue/WDW1972

Heed the words of wisdom from wdw1972.

Our home is close enough to hear the Magic Kingdom fireworks at night.

Today, we went to the Disney Village to shop for a child's birthday.

He loves all things about Mickey.

Oh my goodness but the traffic is terrible. The crowds are bumper to bumper just like the cars. There is lots of construction in progress on the roads, walkways, in the Downtown Disney and Disney Village areas and roads approaching. It's work not expected to end until sometime in 2016.

The parks are crowded, the roads are slow, transportation from non-Disney hotels is hindered by the long lines and construction on the roads. Park entry is +90 dollars per person in addition to parking. Fast passes go fast because guests on Disney property get ahead of other guests. We get Florida resident passes but seldom get to do more than 4 attractions in an exhausting day.

Re-read the words of wisdom.

Enjoy your cruise.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

The only other way to go is to rent a car. It's a 45 min drive, and you would have to pay for parking. Much of your time there will be spent waiting in lines. I would never visit WDW as a ships excursion. Visit the Ports of Call board for Florida for other ideas. EM

It's actually 45 minutes to the airport, another 15+ to Disney. From the port to the Magic Kingdom will take 75 minutes best case scenario, not including the time it takes to rent/return a car.

I agree, I wouldn't visit Disney as an excursion--maybe if I had annual passes.

I would go to Kennedy Space Center, the Atlantis exhibit is spectacular, and you can see the highlights in about five hours.

I just looked on the NCL websight and the Disney park excursion including the shuttle there and back is $248.00. I looked on the Disney websight a daily ticket is only $105.00. What a price difference. Is there any other transportation available other than NCL shore excursion. I want something that is reliable, so I won't miss the boat.

Any help?

Disney World in what amounts to less than a full day (make that two full days) would be a monumental waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:):)

Any help?

I NEVER recommend a shore excurison to Mousetown from a cruise ship.

its a good hour away, and since you you have to be back an hour before the ship leaves you do NOT have enough time on site to enjoy any park. (BTW, if you want to go to Magic Kingdom it is even more expensive for a 1 day ticket)

between a car rental plus parking it can easily run at or close to the price of a ship run excursion but you WILL be left behind if you go your own way.

Any help?

I did a lot of research last year for our cruise to the Bahamas. I found an enormously helpful website http://www.undercovertourist.com - which features a very helpful Crowd Calendar.

We wanted to visit the Magic Kingdom but, our arrival day was slated to be Most Crowded according to the Crowd Calendar. We opted instead for Universal Studios which was Most Recommended and the crowds as predicted were very light.

I see you're doing the November 16 cruise arriving Port Canaveral on the 18th. This day is considered a

Most Recommended Day to visit the Magic Kingdom.

USVI-4-me visited on October 19th a Sunday which was shaded in red as a Most Crowded Day. Make a plan of which attractions you most want to do. You will have limited time there, perhaps five hours or so, maybe you'll do three or four rides, have lunch enjoy the ambience. If that suits you then I say go for it.

You will probably be slowed by traffic as USVI-4-me and others have pointed out, but, I still think you'll have enough time to enjoy the park to some degree, I would be happy to spend five hours there.

I understand the die-hard Disney enthusiasts would never go and spend five hours at the park, but, if you're only ever visiting Florida during a ship's excursion and the crowds are predicted to be light then give it a shot.

We had a blast at Universal last year and we really didn't go on many rides, not into thrill rides. Also, NCL offers a shuttle transfer for $69 round trip from the ship to the Magic Kingdom.

Good Luck and give Goofy my best.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

I would not only agree with all that was said about an excursion to WDW, but add a strong recommendation to tour the space center. It is an utterly amazing place -- WDW has nothing on the place! If you want to be awe-struck, tour the space center. You can shop anytime!

See, I'm the opposite. I'm a die-hard Disney nut and have been to almost 20 times since 1983. And yes, we are going on the excursion to the Magic Kingdom from the Breakway. Reason? I have ancient passes that are still good and I'm just paying for transportation. Plus, I have family that will be in the park that day and I want to see the park decorated for the holidays.

Originally we were going to do the Kennedy Space Center excursion, but the fam want to go to MK instead. I told them that we are going to enjoy the sights and hit a few favorite rides and not to be disappointed if we don't ride much of anything. Plus I want one of those giant caramel apples to take back on the ship to enjoy. (Hope that's not a problem now that I think about it)

By the way, if we didn't already have tickets, we would NOT be going.

Sharon