Which line should we try next?

momoftwinteens

I am at my wit's end and I am in real need of your kind assistance.

A little background first: My DH and I are mid 50s. I am a heavy sleeper(a bomb could go off next to me and I won't be disturbed) and my DH is a very light sleeper(the wall creaking with the movement of the ship on our last cruise kept him from falling asleep, among other things).

I have cruised four cruises with NCL and have loved all of them, except for this last one. NCL currently has an unlimited beverage package that, I think, actually makes the atmosphere worse, especially if one doesn't drink, like me, for medical reasons. When I have to wait 15 minutes at the bar for a glass of ice water because the bar staff are so busy filling drink orders, there is a problem. I also think it leads to bad behavior and very tired crew members.

So, I am looking for a cruise line where there are not so many late night partiers, talking loudly in the hallways(for instance). However, we both like the freestyle aspect of NCL in terms of dining. Hubby also hates sea days so a port intensive 7 day cruise would be ideal. All suggestions would be appreciated. Before I forget, hubby REFUSES to wear ear plugs! I am afraid of being bored but, since it is all I can do to get my hubby on a cruise ship, I will risk it.

Most lines offer unlimited drink packages. So you should be looking for cruises that draw fewer heavy drinkers.

Most lines now offer some form of open seating for dining. Most still offer traditional for those that want that as an alternative to open seating.

I am at my wit's end and I am in real need of your kind assistance.

A little background first: My DH and I are mid 50s. I am a heavy sleeper(a bomb could go off next to me and I won't be disturbed) and my DH is a very light sleeper(the wall creaking with the movement of the ship on our last cruise kept him from falling asleep, among other things).

I have cruised four cruises with NCL and have loved all of them, except for this last one. NCL currently has an unlimited beverage package that, I think, actually makes the atmosphere worse, especially if one doesn't drink, like me, for medical reasons. When I have to wait 15 minutes at the bar for a glass of ice water because the bar staff are so busy filling drink orders, there is a problem. I also think it leads to bad behavior and very tired crew members.

So, I am looking for a cruise line where there are not so many late night partiers, talking loudly in the hallways(for instance). However, we both like the freestyle aspect of NCL in terms of dining. Hubby also hates sea days so a port intensive 7 day cruise would be ideal. All suggestions would be appreciated. Before I forget, hubby REFUSES to wear ear plugs! I am afraid of being bored but, since it is all I can do to get my hubby on a cruise ship, I will risk it.

Oceania: best food at sea; civilized passengers; interesting itineraries. No hordes, photogs, art shows, water slides, etc.

Smokers limited to one enclosed indoor area and one outdoor area. Alcohol is one of the few items not included in fare though packages are available.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

The most sedate line would probably be Holland America, although Celebrity and Princess also offer a less frenetic atmosphere. The all offer open dining and drinks packages. Major difference is that HAL still permits smoking on balconies, whereas the others do not. EM

I vote for Oceania as well

not many 7 days cruises but a lot of the 10 day ones are port intensive

open dining, no formal nights, less people on the smaller ships

depends on your budget

The most sedate evenings at sea I have witnessed were on a Celebrity M-class ship. Came out of late dinner each night to find myself on the Mary Celeste. But two things to consider: (1) due to their never-ending promotions a high percentage will have the drinks package; (2) open-seating dining has a limited number of slots and you will be required to pre-pay gratuities.

I think HAL might be a better compromise: service attentive, evening activities generally scheduled to work around whichever time you prefer to dine. And many seven day Caribbean cruises with 4 ports/2 sea days instead of the 3/3 on NCL. Also worth considering Princess for their anytime dining (not capped and no pre-paid tips) but they tend to skimp on port times.

Edited by fishywood

I thought of Oceania but also Regent, Silversea, Crystal and the other thing I thought about: If you were to do a port intensive cruise such as the Med or even Alaska, where most people are off the ship all day touring, then it is going to be much lower key on the drinking/partying aspects no matter what cruise line you are on.

10+ day cruises attract fewer party animals. For example, a Panama Canal cruise from one coast to the other is 14 days and attracts passengers interested in the itinerary instead of partying. Our only cruise filled with heavy drinkers was a NCL ship from NY City to Bermuda, 7 days. Never again.

Consider a cabin forward of the elevator. The further forward you are, the less people pass in the hall. A cabin under the spa usually works great for us because we are early birds. If you need help selecting a cabin, ask for help on the cruise line boards. They will probably tell you to get a cabin on a deck between other cabins. Do not take a guarantee. I agree with the suggestion for a 10 to 14 day cruise. Also avoid school holidays because there are more children on those cruises.

I think Celebrity or HAL would work, and 10+ days would also be better. The shorter the cruise the more likely you will have more of a "Party" atmosphere. a cabin at the front or back of the ship away from the elevators will also keep things a little quieter. We always make sure there are cabins above and below ours. But try not to get on a floor to low, because then you will hear mechanical noise when docking early in the morning. (I learned that the hard way.) And if you are below the lido, you may hear them arranging deck chairs every morning.

We sailed on Celebrity in Jan. of this year, and we had the classic beverage package. It was wonderful. What makes it different from some other line's packages is that it also includes specialty coffees, fresh squeezed juices, bottled water, as well as alcohol. So not everyone was getting their drunk on. It was very nice.