Shapewear

mckalesmom

Ladies do you wear shapewear on your cruises? To dinner? Everyday?

I just can't do it, y'all.

I can't understand how shapewear is supposed to fit and be flattering.

I have tried all different versions.

I wanted something to wear under my sundresses for my upcoming cruise and a coworker suggested the high waisted thigh/tummy control. You know, the one that is like a pair of shorts but goes all the way to your bra line. Well hello back fat!!!

I tried the version by Assets at Target, then a cheaper version at Walmart. No ma'am! Nothing flattering about that.

Then I have tried the panties with the panel over the tummy area. Hello muffin top.

So THEN I tried the separates, a cami with a control boyshort. It still just rearranged the fat and I seemed to have a bulge in the middle.

I have tried going with my exact size based on the products size chart and I have also went up a size. Nothing has been flattering.

I am just going to wear the light control boyshorts under my dresses.

My coworkers just rave about shapewear but even when I was thinner, it never flattered me. I wonder if it is just my body type or if this is something all of us who aren't so thin deal with. I am 5'9, about 187 lbs, long torso, majority of my weight is in my hips and thighs.

I give up on shapewear!

I also hate it. I don't know what the big deal is. And I'm less than 120 lbs and a size 2. Youre right, it just redistributed the fat to where the shape wear ends. The only kind I wear are real corsets that are custom made, and then that's only for Halloween.

Nope...too uncomfortable! I've found to look smoother and trimmer requires actually losing weight! So, I try to keep my weight where I don't have a "muffin top" or tummy bulge. It takes work, but it's more comfortable that wearing a modern-day girdle! (BTW, I'm 60 and my body isn't as "tight" as it used to be!!)

You can't compress extra fat...it's gonna explode out somewhere else! Wear clothes that fit your current shape....slightly thicker materials will hide bulges better than really thin fabrics! That's why I don't buy those cheap "Old Navy" sort of tees....might as well be wearing tissue! Get tops that "skim" over your body, without hugging too much. Get underwear that doesn't "cut in" and show under pants! Same with waistbands on slacks....make sure they're loose enough not to cut into your hip/waist, and create that muffin top! ie:, clothes that FIT!

Edited by cb at sea

cb at sea is correct. You can't put 20 pounds of flour into a 10-pound sack. That said, I do wear quite a bit of shapewear and find it helpful, primarily for minimizing/eliminating bra lines and for smoothing things out around my waist. And yes, it's important to buy the appropriate size.

This is what I wear and it is AWESOME!!

http://www.dillards.com/product/TC-Fine-Shapewear-Just-Enough-HiWaist-Brief_301_-1_301_504174618?df=04025903_zi_cupid_nude&categoryId=480&scrollTop=1777

Technically, it's shapewear...but it isn't compression shapewear. The words "Just Enough" are very apt. I wear this over my underwear...It smooths out my underwear lines and helps to smooth out my abdomen area. The top of the panty comes right to my bra-line on me, so no additional back fat.

It isn't super difficult to put on. I'd say that it is a bit like wearing a leotard, if you ever did. It smooths you out and evens out the lumps. The material is very smooth, so all my dresses glide over it too so that they don't catch anywhere. But it is still easy enough to use the necessary when it is necessary.;)

I agree with those saying wear clothes that fit. I dress for my body shape.

I was just curious about what others do. My coworker was the one who had recommended shapewear after I commented on her figure. I later found out that she had used 3 different layers of shapewear to achieve the figure. :eek:

LOL I honestly don't know how she made it through the shift.

This is what I wear and it is AWESOME!!

http://www.dillards.com/product/TC-Fine-Shapewear-Just-Enough-HiWaist-Brief_301_-1_301_504174618?df=04025903_zi_cupid_nude&categoryId=480&scrollTop=1777

Technically, it's shapewear...but it isn't compression shapewear. The words "Just Enough" are very apt. I wear this over my underwear...It smooths out my underwear lines and helps to smooth out my abdomen area. The top of the panty comes right to my bra-line on me, so no additional back fat.

It isn't super difficult to put on. I'd say that it is a bit like wearing a leotard, if you ever did. It smooths you out and evens out the lumps. The material is very smooth, so all my dresses glide over it too so that they don't catch anywhere. But it is still easy enough to use the necessary when it is necessary.;)

Thanks for the tip

I find the shape wear that involves a bottom to be really uncomfortable, not flattering and not worth it. I do like the tank tops that have some Lycra that do help smooth things out without feeling like circulation is being cut off. I've learned with time that if it's not comfortable I just won't wear it.

I got some for my brother's wedding that I love. They are made by Hane's I think and I got them at Target. They're really light and not binding, but just serve to smooth things out. I also have an assets mid thigh shaper that I like, but I sized up. I like them for certain dresses to create a smooth line, but won't wear anything that's uncomfortable or binding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Years ago I got a couple of Barely There camis - worked great for smoothing back bulges. It worked great but I also wanted something to smooth out bulges and panty lines when wearing dresses. The shorts style would give me a muffin top, the panty style would make my thighs look huge. Could no find anything that worked for me for years! I tried Spanx, Flexees, Assets etc.

A couple of months ago I went to Target and just for kicks ;) decided to try one more -

http://www.target.com/p/suddenly-skinny-with-self-expressions-women-s-comfort-obsession-thigh-slimmer/-/A-14425474?reco=newprz&lnk=Rec|pdp|cmpid12847:450939|viewed_bought|item_page.bottom_1

They are perfect! They do not give me a muffin top, nor do they pinch my thighs so much that you can see it through the clothes. They are super light but smooth everything out.

Will only wear them on elegant nights but they are light enough to wear during the day.

I am 5'7 and 135 pounds, however at age 48 I have experienced the "southern slide" where all parts of my body have become soft and are sliding down to my feet. I've purchased and worn different brands of shapewear. Most of it did its job but they were extremely tight and binding. Also, where the shapewear ended, the elastic would be so tight that everything would squish out above and below. Not a good look under some types of clothing, for other clothes, it would work out ok. However I found a line of shapeware from Jockey that breathes (you girls know what I mean here!) provides just the right amount of light to moderate shaping and is super stretchy and not tight. Also the waistband and leg bands are wide and do not roll or cause your extra skin/fat to squish out of the top/bottom and cause bulging. Sometimes I wear shapewear because no matter what type of underwear I have on I have pantylines. This product works perfectly for me so you may want to look for it at your stores. I found mine at JCPenney.

I just turned 58. The only parts of my body I do not like are my arms. No matter how hard I workout; they are still saggy:(. I wear shape wear with my jersey dresses or body coin style dresses. I wear the bottom part only. My favorite is Diane Von Furstenberg. You can buy only at her store. It is paper thin and it does not roll up. It is a bit pricy $180.00 each.

Edited by Porthopper101

Biker shorts under skirts & dresses so I can go bare legged without chafing. More for comfort than compression.

Hate the "firm control" stuff although I'm certainly sure any TV makeover maven would stuff me into one like a sausage for an impressive enough "after" photo. But I don't plan to go onto What Not To Wear shows anytime quick, and cruising is supposed to be fun!

Right?:p

Biker shorts under skirts & dresses so I can go bare legged without chafing. More for comfort than compression.

Hate the "firm control" stuff although I'm certainly sure any TV makeover maven would stuff me into one like a sausage for an impressive enough "after" photo. But I don't plan to go onto What Not To Wear shows anytime quick, and cruising is supposed to be fun!

Right?:p

This is a riot!

After a different thread about slips, I think, I got some pettipants for this same reason. LOVE them. I got a cotton pair and a slinky pair to wear under the different materials...they are very comfortable in warm weather...I've found biker shorts to be a bit hot.

I should try & find some. They sound a lot cooler. Comfy.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

I bought mine from the Vermont Country Store. Someone shared that info on the slip thread. I didn't search around too much more because the products were there and I wanted them! I do sew. I discovered a great video for how to make a pattern from a piece of clothing...so my thought was that I would use these to make a pattern to make more. Honestly, I would like a pair that were without the lace (the texture shows through a thinner maxi skirt that I own) and I'm thinking about making some in funner fabric for some more sporty skirts that I have...like a fun color or even a pattern for the solid skirts.

I've lost 102# after being overweight my entire adult life. My body was very unforgiving. So I wear shapewear. I have a wardrobe of it.

Yes, I do wear it on my cruises. I also wear clothes that fit. But I have a muffin top, with or without clothes, and quite a bit of hanging belly skin, and shapewear smooths that. It doesn't make it flat or go away, but it smooths and keeps it from jiggling. To me it is almost like wearing a bra. It keeps things where it should be.

LOL..love this comment about the flour sack.

I thought Shapwear..face it--it's really a girdle--was to "smooth out" as you said, if you are already wearing the right size of clothing-not to force the clothing to fit.

It's a hard reality check but there are some outfits some of us are just not meant to be wearing. Kinda like "skinny" jeans on someone who is not physically built for them.

I find places like Nordstrom are the best places to buy that sort of thing-I had a friend who worked in the lingerie department there for years and they actually had to attend classes on how to advise customers on different articles, and when I bought shape wear for my wedding I learned a lot from the clerk as far as what was appropriate, etc.

cb at sea is correct. You can't put 20 pounds of flour into a 10-pound sack. That said, I do wear quite a bit of shapewear and find it helpful, primarily for minimizing/eliminating bra lines and for smoothing things out around my waist. And yes, it's important to buy the appropriate size.

I've tried several varieties on and all were horribly uncomfortable and seemed to just shift the pudge from one area to another--like the OP. I'm not even really overweight, but at 69 things have gone south and are a lot softer than they used to be.

I'll just be comfortable and live with a few bulges, disguised by the right clothing that fits.

I'm old enough to remember when almost everyone wore girdles, at least for dressing up, even us tiny high school girls! I'm not going there again just to look like some supposedly ideal of fashion.

Of course this is just fine for anyone who wants to do it and feels better if they do.