When I send my cloths out to be washed, are they washed with someone else's?

Sorry,I have to ask, when sending my cloths out for wash and fold whats the process? I dont like the thought of my unmentionables being intermingled with someone elses. :cool:

My understanding is that you clothes are kept in a mesh container and are washed with other mesh containers.

I never really thought about that but I do know on Princess ships all my clothes that are sent to the laundery are tagged with a number that identifies my clothes I am removing these little things for what seems like years! But on our Oasis cruise there was not any tags that I remember so I don't know how they would know who belongs to what if they are washed together.

Yes. And the towels you use, sheets you sleep on and napkin you use will also be washed with towels, sheets and napkins used by others.

M

Good point!

I'm sure the washing machines on ships must be the size of my neighborhood so it would be impractical to wash separately for each person.

I never really thought about that but I do know on Princess ships all my clothes that are sent to the laundery are tagged with a number that identifies my clothes I am removing these little things for what seems like years! But on our Oasis cruise there was not any tags that I remember so I don't know how they would know who belongs to what if they are washed together.

Our experience when sending things to the laundry that we pay for has been that if the item doesn't have a tag inside, then a sticker is ironed on inside the neckband with our cabin number on it. If there is a tag inside then our cabin number is written on the tag. It all depends on the ship as to how items are identified.

With the Wash N Fold specials, all items are placed into a mesh bag and washed with other mesh bags.

When we did the all access tour on the Allure, we were told that yes all the guest laundry is placed in individual mesh bags.

And they all go into these giant drums of washers that hold large amounts of bags.

Then added to it was an industrial laundry detergent and washed then moved to the dryers to dry.

That is why they only want socks, undies, and t shirts.

They come out not like you would have at home.

Was very interesting and those washers are massive!

Sea Ya

Sorry,I have to ask, when sending my cloths out for wash and fold whats the process? I dont like the thought of my unmentionables being intermingled with someone elses. :cool:

Sorry, but are you that stu....ah....stran.....ah.....serious?

Let's give you the answer you want(?).....

Yes. Your individual bras (ooh are these size -2?) ,and panties (oh my, are these really 42?) are individually and lovingly hand washed; exactly as you yourself would do them if you were doing them in the sink in your cabin's bathroom! Yeah, uh huh.

Now. Let's give you the answer that you want to avoid. YES! Your stuff is bouncing around in a machine next to and rubbing against mine. I have no conrol over that and just have to hope that YOUR unmentionables are not passing on to me all sorts of .............stuff, things......

Sorry, but are you that stu....ah....stran.....ah.....serious?

Let's give you the answer you want(?).....

Yes. Your individual bras (ooh are these size -2?) ,and panties (oh my, are these really 42?) are individually and lovingly hand washed; exactly as you yourself would do them if you were doing them in the sink in your cabin's bathroom! Yeah, uh huh.

Now. Let's give you the answer that you want to avoid. YES! Your stuff is bouncing around in a machine next to and rubbing against mine. I have no conrol over that and just have to hope that YOUR unmentionables are not passing on to me all sorts of .............stuff, things etc.......

When we did the all access tour on the Allure, we were told that yes all the guest laundry is placed in individual mesh bags.

And they all go into these giant drums of washers that hold large amounts of bags.

Then added to it was an industrial laundry detergent and washed then moved to the dryers to dry.

That is why they only want socks, undies, and t shirts.

They come out not like you would have at home.

Was very interesting and those washers are massive!

Sea Ya

Maybe the reason things come back fairly wrinkled when we get them back from the Wash and Fold special is because we put so many items in the bag. The large amount of items are squeezed into a mesh bag that is intended to hold a smaller amount of clothes. Oh well, Downey Wrinkle Release to the rescue.

Some lines use the iron on tags and some use the mesh bags. Some put the guest laundry in the main machines, and some have a separate "uniform" laundry, and the guest laundry goes there.

The uniform laundry will have a mix of washers between small 7kg European front loaders to machines like you see at Laundromats in the US. The main laundry machines generally are twin chambered, and each chamber holds 65kg of wash (so somewhere near 300lbs).

Very little or nothing is done on a "gentle" or "delicate" wash, and most is warm to hot water. If you have things that require delicate or cold wash, don't send it out to the ship's laundry.

Little iron on tags on FOS as well.

On our last cruise, I used the laundry service a couple of times each week. My husband's tidy whities came back with a hint of blue, but otherwise they did a fine job and we'd use the service again. The detergent they use must be unscented. :)

I packed those little Tide packets and did my unmentionables in the bathroom sink.

Another word of warning about sending fine articles out for laundry.

Many ships use the condensate from the A/C system (this can run to 20 tons per day) in the laundry. This water, having condensed on the copper chiller coils, tends to have copper concentrations in it. When whites are washed in this water, in a hot cycle, they will tend to come out green. To counteract this, the machines dose a small amount of acid into the wash cycle to neutralize the copper oxide. Long term, this acid is not good for fabrics.

Have you also given thought that the silverware that you use has been in other people's mouth? EWWWWWW. :)