Hotels near (not in) NYC pre-cruise

barb65

Any suggestions of hotels near (not in) New York City (pre-cruise) that includes parking and transportation to and from NYC port. We will be arriving from I-80 (Pennsylvania west to east). Thank you in advance for suggestions.

They're are TONS near Newark airport and the Meadowlands. What is your budget per night and why don't you want to be in the city?

But not more than one or two hotels that include parking and transportation to and from the port.

And a good reason not to stay in NY City is that hotels tend to be expensive and the cost of parking a car at a NY City hotel is very high.

Any suggestions of hotels near (not in) New York City (pre-cruise) that includes parking and transportation to and from NYC port. We will be arriving from I-80 (Pennsylvania west to east). Thank you in advance for suggestions.

Try the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

FYI, hotels in NJ that offer free transportation into the Manhattan Cruise Terminal are virtually non existent.

They're are TONS near Newark airport and the Meadowlands. What is your budget per night and why don't you want to be in the city?

Trying to avoid heavy city traffic plus steep parking fee. Would prefer staying on the outskirts of the city with a hotel/park/transportation to/from pier package.

Trying to avoid heavy city traffic plus steep parking fee. Would prefer staying on the outskirts of the city with a hotel/park/transportation to/from pier package.

Well I'm not sure where you are gonna find all of that.

We just booked a boutique hotel near Grand Central for under $200/night for tomorrow night. It's got some pretty good reviews. We'll see when we check in how they live up to it.

Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ, just over the GW bridge.

We just made a reservation there for our October cruise. Includes breakfast, parking and port transportation at a pretty reasonable rate and is supposedly about 10 minutes away, although I am sure traffic conditions could increase that time. We are not completely sure if it includes return transportation, but we figured we could just arrange that once we got there if it doesn't. Others may have already used the package and know. If you go to their website, it is the very last package listed under "specials" or something like that.

Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ, just over the GW bridge.

We just made a reservation there for our October cruise. Includes breakfast, parking and port transportation at a pretty reasonable rate and is supposedly about 10 minutes away, although I am sure traffic conditions could increase that time. We are not completely sure if it includes return transportation, but we figured we could just arrange that once we got there if it doesn't. Others may have already used the package and know. If you go to their website, it is the very last package listed under "specials" or something like that.

This "package" can run as high as 349 + tax for a midweek stay with parking and it does not include the transportation to the port. The hotel arranges it for you through a car service. They don't have their own van that does it like the two Staten island hotels that go to the Bayonne NJ port.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

This "package" can run as high as 349 + tax for a midweek stay with parking and it does not include the transportation to the port. The hotel arranges it for you through a car service. They don't have their own van that does it like the two Staten island hotels that go to the Bayonne NJ port.

That is wrong information. We are booked in January for the "park and cruise" package. It includes hotel stay, parking, breakfast in the morning and transportation to and from the the hotel to the port.

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-jersey/hilton-garden-inn-ridgefield-park-LGARPGI/offers/100077011.htm

Have you considered another outside the box plan ?

Leave the car at home and take Amtrak into town ?

There are alternatives - just have to ferret them out !

For the 4 of us doing Amtrak it would cost $200 for round trip I believe. That in and of itself is not bad, but then we'd have to get a shuttle or some kind of transportation that can fit luggage for 4 people to and from the train station in Phila and in NYC. I think our "park and cruise" package works best for us which also allows us to be in NYC a day ahead. Weather in Jan is unpredictable so we always go a day ahead.

I used to try and think outside the box with this issue, but for the last several years we have grown comfortable with midtown hotels and have an easy routine. To me it's invaluable having the car right there on returning there so you can hit the road asap. I wish you luck though. Sorry I don't have a good answer to your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the 4 of us doing Amtrak it would cost $200 for round trip I believe. That in and of itself is not bad, but then we'd have to get a shuttle or some kind of transportation that can fit luggage for 4 people to and from the train station in Phila and in NYC. I think our "park and cruise" package works best for us which also allows us to be in NYC a day ahead. Weather in Jan is unpredictable so we always go a day ahead.

Where are you coming from?

$200 round trip seems a bit low for Amtrak.

Penn Station is a short and cheap Uber to the cruise terminal

I looked at the package link that was included with the post that said this statement was wrong.

Read the link information carefully. The transportation is arranged and the cost of the transportation arranged affects the cost of the room.

Given the cost of using a car service and the cost of paying for the round trip through the tunnel or over the bridge (would be included for the one way trip for the transportation vehicle's return to NJ), SNJ Cruisers statement rings true.

Also a side note, there is no way that this hotel is 10 minutes away from the Manhattan cruise port (not even at 3 AM in the morning). Twelve miles in that area translates to at least a half hour or more. Hint: NYC and its environs is properly the only place where distance is given as a measure of time instead of measure of length.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We are looking into driving to the Hilton Garden in Ridgefield Park, NJ, (as suggested) or possibly taking the Mega Bus out of State College, PA to NYC and staying in the city overnight and then taking the Mega Bus back to State College. We just want to avoid city driving/parking.

I looked at the package link that was included with the post that said this statement was wrong.

Read the link information carefully. The transportation is arranged and the cost of the transportation arranged affects the cost of the room.

Given the cost of using a car service and the cost of paying for the round trip through the tunnel or over the bridge (would be included for the one way trip for the transportation vehicle's return to NJ), SNJ Cruisers statement rings true.

Also a side note, there is no way that this hotel is 10 minutes away from the Manhattan cruise port (not even at 3 AM in the morning). Twelve miles in that area translates to at least a half hour or more. Hint: NYC and its environs is properly the only place where distance is given as a measure of time instead of a measure of length.

According to their site, the Hotel is 12 miles from the cruise port. Probably not 10 minutes away exactly but 12 miles is not much more than that give or take a few and depending on the traffic. I won't sweat the small stuff here. That said, I just called to confirm our reservation and ask first hand if the transportation to and from the port was included in the quoted price for our Park and Ride package. It is included....I imagine it's worked into the price of the room. Our total for 4 people is $320. I think that's a fair deal for a room, parking for 14 days, transportation to and from and free breakfast buffet in the morning. The parking alone would have been as much or more at the pier. Since we always stay close by the night before our cost would have been well over $320 if we had to book a room in the vicinity. So I am not sure where you got your information but I just got mine from the hotel.

Where are you coming from?

$200 round trip seems a bit low for Amtrak.

Penn Station is a short and cheap Uber to the cruise terminal

Coming from South Jersey. We'd have to get transportation to the train station in Phila. And yes, $200 is probably low. It's been a few years since I took a round trip to NYC via Amtrak. I just checked the prices and if we wanted to go before 8AM in the morning there is actually a price of $39 one way. However, most other prices are $75 and over. So I do think it would be significantly more. That said, we like to get there the day before so I think the Park and Cruise deal at the Hilton Garden is our best so far. $320 for a hotel room for 4, parking for 14 days, transportation to and from the port and breakfast for 4 in the morning. I don't think I can beat that.

Parking at the port is 40.00 per night, unless you're going out on the NCL Gem, which has a reduced rate. I would get it in writing that your return transportation from the port is included, because the link you provided was not clear at all about it. It's always buyer beware, especially when dealing with most things in the metro NYC area.

We just got off the Breakaway this past Sunday, and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

Great hotel with breakfast included, parking for when you're on the cruise, and free shuttle to and from the port.

When you arrive at the hotel, they will give you a form to fill out, and you can choose what time you want to be picked up.

We chose 10:15, and the driver arrived a little early, and we were at the port by about 10:35.

The nice thing was, we had our own car, and didn't have to wait for other people. Depending how many people are with you will depend on what type of vehicle they send.

On return, they gave us a card with a phone number, which we called when we got through customs. They also called me while we were still waiting to get off the ship, so they had an idea when we might disembark.

You have to cross the street and wait for your ride. There were a lot of people waiting for rides there.

Highly recommend for the price and ease of getting to and from the port.

Hope that helps!

Karen

According to their site, the Hotel is 12 miles from the cruise port. Probably not 10 minutes away exactly but 12 miles is not much more than that give or take a few and depending on the traffic. I won't sweat the small stuff here. That said, I just called to confirm our reservation and ask first hand if the transportation to and from the port was included in the quoted price for our Park and Ride package. It is included....I imagine it's worked into the price of the room. Our total for 4 people is $320. I think that's a fair deal for a room, parking for 14 days, transportation to and from and free breakfast buffet in the morning. The parking alone would have been as much or more at the pier. Since we always stay close by the night before our cost would have been well over $320 if we had to book a room in the vicinity. So I am not sure where you got your information but I just got mine from the hotel.

I live 12 miles from the port, 25 minutes is the quickest, without traffic.

We just got off the Breakaway this past Sunday, and stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

Great hotel with breakfast included, parking for when you're on the cruise, and free shuttle to and from the port.

When you arrive at the hotel, they will give you a form to fill out, and you can choose what time you want to be picked up.

We chose 10:15, and the driver arrived a little early, and we were at the port by about 10:35.

The nice thing was, we had our own car, and didn't have to wait for other people. Depending how many people are with you will depend on what type of vehicle they send.

On return, they gave us a card with a phone number, which we called when we got through customs. They also called me while we were still waiting to get off the ship, so they had an idea when we might disembark.

You have to cross the street and wait for your ride. There were a lot of people waiting for rides there.

Highly recommend for the price and ease of getting to and from the port.

Hope that helps!

Karen

What was the price?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

The ridge field park Hilton sounds like a good deal and is convenient but definitely not 10 minutes to the port, as has been said. Any of the hotels around 80 - Hasbrouck heights Sheraton, Teaneck Marriott or the meadowlands area are a quick uber ride to the port on a weekend. Not so much on a weekday. I wouldn't make the transportation to the port the priority over room cost and free parking.