Opinions??? Luggage....

Luv2ponys

I will be cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in May on Carnival for an 8 day cruise. I got a cruise as a Xmas present!

I have to fly to the port city on the day of embarkation (all arrangements were already made). I'm concerned over bag checking/lost or delayed baggage since there is not a lot of room for any issues. So...I am seriously considering carry on only. Can this really be done? Pros and cons of carry on vs checked baggage? Any tips? Anyone else cruise with carry on only? Thanks for any help!

I'm actually more concerned about the size of your carry-on for 8 days and you flying - that sucker is going to be full to the brim! If it is too large for a carry on at the gate, they will make you check it. I've seen it happen, seen them measure at the gate, seen them slap a luggage tag on it. I am shocked at the size of the bags some people think they can carry on the plane.

Having said that, it will be certainly more carefree to have just the one carry on. I envy you if you can do it! :D

Here are some threads in the Beauty forum from people who did it. Just click the links to read.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2001402&highlight=carry+on

.http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=997927&highlight=carry+on

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=908354&highlight=carry+on

I will be cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in May on Carnival for an 8 day cruise. I got a cruise as a Xmas present!

I have to fly to the port city on the day of embarkation (all arrangements were already made). I'm concerned over bag checking/lost or delayed baggage since there is not a lot of room for any issues. So...I am seriously considering carry on only. Can this really be done? Pros and cons of carry on vs checked baggage? Any tips? Anyone else cruise with carry on only? Thanks for any help!

I routinely pack for ten days with just a carry on. you just have to sacrifice packing lots of shoes and travel with mix and match pieces. I also tend to travel with lots of lightweight sundresses so I don't have to change for dinner after a day or port fun.

Personally, I would never pack for 8 days in a carry on. Four days, sure, but not 8. Sorry, but I'm not wearing the same clothes day after day and I don't feel comfortable wearing the same thing to dinner if I've been out in a port, hot and sweaty all day long. Unless you don't plan on eating in the MDR at night how are you going to pack enough clothes for both day and night? And I'm not one for doing laundry on a cruise, so I'm packing enough things like underwear. And don't forget that you have to be careful with any liquids over a certain size in a carry on.

If you're on one of those smaller planes like a CRJ or Embraer, you're going to have to check a carry on because overheads will not hold anything larger than a small backpack.

How close is your flight to the ship's departure? Is it a direct flight? If it is, don't worry about a checked bag. If your flight arrives in the late morning or by 1pm, you will be ok. The airport is about 10 minutes from the cruise terminal

Edited by kitty9

Don't overpack and it shouldn't be a problem to travel with carry on only. Take only what you need, use mix and match clothes and do laundry once if necessary on board. I'm going to Mexico next month for 8 weeks with only a normal size backpack. I'm carrying 2 sets of workout clothes, 1 light sweater, 2 pjs, 2 swimsuits, 9 outfits (mixture of short/shirts, dresses, skirts/tops), 9 sets of underwear. This wardrobe would easily work for a cruise. I plan to do laundry about once a week.

Our carryons are for formal dresses, shoes and bathing suits. For us that would be devastating to replace.................all other items, casual clothes and underwear would be easy if the the airlines lost all our bags.

We use our old suitcases which are soft sided and one fits in the other so when we are in our cabin, they fit under the bed nicely.

Just a carryon, never happen for us.

Enjoy

Sea ya

If you're on one of those smaller planes like a CRJ or Embraer, you're going to have to check a carry on because overheads will not hold anything larger than a small backpack.

Having been on those smaller planes a time or two (or 22), I've always been given the option to gate check those larger carry-ons. Those are put in a separate bin on the plane and handed out near the exit. Yes, it can be a pain to wait for it, and it can be chilly or hot when the door opens to load the bags, but I've found it faster than going to baggage claim and waiting. Your mileage may vary.

To the OP, I took a carry-on bag and small briefcase on all three of my 7-day cruises so far, so having just a carry-on for 8 days can certainly be done. But I'm a guy, so I don't have the concerns some ladies have. The pros are mostly obvious. The cons are that you don't have as much stuff, and if you find you need something you didn't pack, you'll either have to improvise or pay a price to go get it.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

I have done Europe land and cruises 47 days with carry on. You have to pack properly. Stick to lightweight non iron fabrics like poly golf shirts or little dresses Nylon shorts..Too hot for jeans. No prom dresses. Small size cosmetics. I also bring a large backpack. Pack it with shoes, snorkel,cosmetic bag..I really prefer to carry on all luggage since Celebrity broke wheels on a brand new Eagle Creek bag. Luckily a lifetime warranty but was without it for a month.

It can be done, especially for warm-weather cruising. We did the Canal + Mexican Riviera last year (2 weeks) with carryon only. Summer clothes take up less room; which is balanced somewhat by the possibility you may not be able to wear a shirt twice without wearing it, due to sweating it up!

We were on a land-based tour in September -- we got to LAX to find the monitor saying our plane was delayed enough for us to miss our connection to Europe -- but the same airline had a plane leaving minutes away and we were able to get the last two seats on it! Made MUCH easier by the fact that we had only carryon.

Get a book such as Smart Packing for Today's Traveler by Susan Foster, or just search the web for "packing light" methods and tips.

I would be more concern about the same day flight (definitely research back up flights just in case and hope there's not any major weather -- or other -- issue that closes the nearest airport).

I'm a compulsive over-packer so it would be hard for me. But given that you're going on a Caribbean cruise (so you'll need to stick with lightweight fabrics) and on Carnival (self-service laundries), you'll have a shot. I tend not to pack a lot of shoes, so that may be something for you to try (wear one, pack one). Double bag in ziplocks any liquid items (even though that can be problematic for air travel nowadays if the TSA thinks you went over the limit). Some items such as shampoo will be provided by Carnival so if you're not picky, you can leave such things at home.

Research on the Carnival website and on the Carnival board here, and between those places, you can find out what you don't have to pack.

DH and I did 10 days in Europe this Sept in a carry on each and a backpack that we took with us sightseeing during the day/used to bring back souvenirs. The main thing you have to be aware of is not taking 4 options for each day. I usually pack by outfit, and make sure my shoes can be worn for a variety of outfits bc shoes take up the most room/weight.

For our cruise in Sept I can almost guarantee we'll both pack in a carry on each, but I'll probably use part of his for my stuff :).

That being said, one of my friends who is coming on the cruise couldn't fathom packing in anything smaller than a full sized suitcase and a carry on for the same amount of time, its all about personal preference.

My wife travels for 2-3 weeks with carry-on only. I take a carry-on and a 2nd small checked bag for toiletries too large for TSA, etc. 1. You don't need a different outfit every day. 2. Don't check anything you can't easily replace. 3. Plan on washing a sinkful or so during the week. No big deal. 4. The ship personnel will pick up your packed bags on the last evening and have them waiting for you on the pier so you don't have to haul it through the disembarkation process. You do need a tote or small bag for your overnight and toiletries stuff.

That is a question only YOU can answer. If you can put enough stuff for 8 days in a carry on then go for it. What I (or anybody else) think, can or can't do has not bearing on what you can do.

exactly.....I'd be lucky if I can do a 7 night cruise with 2 suitcases AND a carryon. The carry on would be for stuff I don't want to lose (mostly dive gear, underwater cameras, bathing suits and a change of underwear, nightgown) and the suitcases for everything else. I always take way too many clothes so just pack what you think you'll wear. It's hard not to buy a T shirt or sun dress at a port so you'll end up coming back with more than you took anyway. Buy a small extra bag or take a tote for all that stuff you'll bring back. On a cruise to Alaska in May, I had to have a bag just for heavy coats, warm clothes etc but that was before the airlines started charging per piece for luggage. If you don't want to pay baggage fees, pack light and buy stuff at your destinations.

Edited by Diver2014

Have you considered doing both?

You could pack a carryon with everything you absolutely need and would get you by for the week if need be.

Then, you could also pack a suitcase to check with things you would also like to have if the suitcase arrives with you. :)

LuLu