Next Cruise credit sucks - am I missing something?

I sail 1-3 times per year, and usually get interior cabins. I have used the NextCruise feature where I put down a $100 deposit and basically book a cruise sometime in the future. A few months later I actually pick the ship and departure date. I am pretty sure that I used to get $100 or $125 OBC, but I just did the NextCruise on the Allure last week and it is a paltry $25 for a 7 day cruise.

If it didn't take me 3 minutes to fill out the form and drop it in the box, I probably wouldn't have wasted my time for $25 credit.

Am I missing something? Is there any other reason (some incentive I am missing) for someone booking an interior cabin on a 7 day cruise to even use the NextCruise program?

I sail 1-3 times per year, and usually get interior cabins. I have used the NextCruise feature where I put down a $100 deposit and basically book a cruise sometime in the future. A few months later I actually pick the ship and departure date. I am pretty sure that I used to get $100 or $125 OBC, but I just did the NextCruise on the Allure last week and it is a paltry $25 for a 7 day cruise.

If it didn't take me 3 minutes to fill out the form and drop it in the box, I probably wouldn't have wasted my time for $25 credit.

Am I missing something? Is there any other reason (some incentive I am missing) for someone booking an interior cabin on a 7 day cruise to even use the NextCruise program?

$100 deposit.

$100 deposit.

But IIRC when I actually book the cruise with my TA, she still hits me up for about $500. Is that the TA, as opposed to RCI? Are you saying if I booked with RCI rather than my TA, I wouldn't have to pay a dime more than the $100 they charged my cc until 90 days out?

But IIRC when I actually book the cruise with my TA, she still hits me up for about $500. Is that the TA, as opposed to RCI? Are you saying if I booked with RCI rather than my TA, I wouldn't have to pay a dime more than the $100 they charged my cc until 90 days out?

I thought you could only book NCC's while on the ship with the cruise line and then you could transfer it to a TA once you picked a cruise. You're right though, the NCC's aren't what the use to be.

Edited by Big_G

That is correct, unless you book a suite.

If you book a cruise onbooard, you can have it assigned to your TA right then, and still only pay $100 per person for the deposit.

My TA never charges me additional deposit--just pay the balance when due. In fact, we always just purchased one certificate for $100 deposit. When we actually book the cruise, we just pay an additional $100 deposit for my DH. Now that the OBC is so measly, we probably won't be buying the certificates anymore.

I booked a future cruise last Dec. on the Oasis, and got $100.00 OBC, and deposit of $100.00. The reduced deposit was nice, but not the reason I booked. The obc WAS. never again. I'll keep the $100.00 they charged my card for their own use, and book when I'm ready. Thanks for nothing Royal.

I booked a future cruise last Dec. on the Oasis, and got $100.00 OBC, and deposit of $100.00. The reduced deposit was nice, but not the reason I booked. The obc WAS. never again. I'll keep the $100.00 they charged my card for their own use, and book when I'm ready. Thanks for nothing Royal.

If you actually book a cruise instead of NCC, the OBC is more. Actually higher on a suite than old program I think

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Full suite = full deposit

What might a full deposit be for a GS?

My experience has been that if you join a group when you xfer to your TA the deposit goes up to $500 at the time you join the group.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cruiser8576

The amount of the OBC depends on when you purchased the NCC. RCL changed the formula earlier this year (March?) so any NCCs purchased after that change only get the lower OBC (and it went to zilch on 3-4 day cruises). Older NCCs still get the old $$ amounts. If yours was older than March of this year, call and have them adjust the OBC to the original $100 (I doubt their systems are programmed to make the distinction between the old ones and the new ones.)

What might a full deposit be for a GS?

My experience has been that if you join a group when you xfer to your TA the deposit goes up to $500 at the time you join the group.

Deposit amounts: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=426&faqSubjectName=Group+Reservations&faqId=4836

Some people still like the idea of getting a lower deposit. However, for me, the OBC is so low that I don't bother with the Next Cruise anymore.

My position exactly.For our recent B2B2B cruises on Rhapsody we booked using NCC's purchased on our previous cruise. 3 x $100 (Aussie dollars) covered my 3 deposits and then we paid 3 x $100 (again Aussie) for DW's 3 deposits.

We got $100 + $150 + $200 (US$) OBC - a sweet deal US$450 for nothing :)

I met with LA on Rhapsody and she confirmed the new arrangements, where actually booking a cruise has higher rewards then just buying a certificate, so I elected to not buy any FCC's as we did not really have a fixed cruise in mind.

It was good while it lasted, but life changes sometimes. It's all good.

Happy cruising

Thanks. This is a relevant and timely discussion for me since while on the Explorer to Bermuda on Sat I had planned on booking a GS on the 5day liberty to Bermuda on 10/3/15. So that looks like I should expect a $400 deposit.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wonder if we can book a cruise, get the OBC & low down payment & then change cruises at a later date. You know, just switch cruises to one we really want maybe 6 months down the road. Hmmmm..........

If you are going to book a cruise to get the maximum benefits, rather than the lesser benefits of a NCC, why wouldn't you just book the cruise you want?

I wonder if we can book a cruise, get the OBC & low down payment & then change cruises at a later date. You know, just switch cruises to one we really want maybe 6 months down the road. Hmmmm..........

There is a clause in the terms & conditions that says if you change the cruise, they may reduce the OBC to the amount you would have gotten with the new NCC. Initially, they said they would let us change once or twice without reducing the OBC, but not too long ago someone posted that they were cracking down on that.

Edited by clarea