Ship footwear ----new cruiser

Sledge1

I am a new cruiser we are cruising next March and I have been reading about wearing proper shoes so as not to slip while on deck--- what would that be? I am trying to think ahead because I have larger feet 14 4e so ordering something or fining something will be a task...

I am a new cruiser we are cruising next March and I have been reading about wearing proper shoes so as not to slip while on deck--- what would that be? I am trying to think ahead because I have larger feet 14 4e so ordering something or fining something will be a task...

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Most people wear flip flops on deck. Something with a non-slip rubber sole is appropriate. The deck can be slippery when wet, but otherwise is not usually slippery.

Avoid flip flops. Or any shoe that does not have good traction on its sole. Going from the heat to the cool the humidity plays havoc with the floors. Pools decks are wet and slippery

you didn't mention if you're a guy or a gal but with size 14, I assume the former. I am too, size 13 lol

I typically wear 'dress sandals' almost the whole cruise - think Kenneth Cole, Kenneth cole reaction, Calvin Klein, Michael kors etc - with full rubber sole with tread / grip and typically leather upper

pretty much the same thing for dress shoes - personally I find Kenneth Cole reaction best for dress shoes as they're still, very stylish just like the rest but have more selection with the rubber soles - typically w cool tread patterns btw. Do not wear slick bottom dress shoes unless you want to slip!

excursions will vary depending on what you pick but I wear sandals to most. Some like Dunns river falls would call for water shoes which may not be available in your size on site

Edited by falkcor

So there really is a BigFoot roaming the planet. :D

Thank you for your help and no not Bigfoot lol lol ....I have tried to wear flip flops and they tear my feet up so I will look for some good sandals ..

I will try and have fun I am going with a huge group of people so it should be interesting... If you are gonna be on the breeze march 22 hit me up

You don't need special shoes for the ship!

I don't wear flip flops at home and so never wear them at sea either. My husband wears sneakers and I wear sandals during the day . Wear whatever you want but if it was a woman I'd say not to wear high heels during the day because you could slip. I don't need to warn a guy about that!!

I am a big guy also with size 14 feet.

I wear these driving back and forth to the port and most of the time while on ship. The spider rubber soles have great traction. They are not the best to get totally wet as they take a while to dry. I wear these with shorts to the MDR on all but non-elegant nights:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-teva-omnium-bungee-cord-p_id178827?source=igodigital&

I wear these on excursions as they are just sturdy enough for short hikes, biking, etc and are made to get wet. About as comfortable of a water shoe as you can find:

http://www.teva.com/men-shoes/churn/4153.html?dwvar_4153_color=GGN#start=1&cgid=men-shoes

We usually get the spa room, so I only have one flight of steps to get to the spa, so I bring along some flip flop for that...but that and in the shower is the only place I wear them. I also bring a pair of casual dress shoes for elegant nights and running shoes exercising (I like to do a stair workout, from deck 0 to deck 13, repeat 5 times. Do it early and nobody is in your way. So if you were counting, that is 5 pairs of footwear I have on the ship.

Edited by Badfinger

Don't wear anything with a smooth soul.

I spend pretty much the entire cruise in Sperry Topsiders, usually without socks. But for the flight (where the TSA makes me take off my shoes) or if we're going off of the ship in a port and we're going to be walking around extensively, I'll put a pair of socks on with them.

The only time I'm not in Topsiders is on "elegant night", and I've tried to talk my wife into letting me wear them then....

Thank you for your help and no not Bigfoot lol lol ....I have tried to wear flip flops and they tear my feet up so I will look for some good sandals ..

I will try and have fun I am going with a huge group of people so it should be interesting... If you are gonna be on the breeze march 22 hit me up

You will have a great time on the Breeze! Enjoy your cruise.

The interior floors that are not carpeted are a smooth, shiny, marble-like material that can be very slippery with shoes with a hard plastic sole. I avoid high heels because of that and the chance of ship movement.

It's true...whatever you wear at home is fine. You do need flip-flops/sandals...something on the pool deck...it's HOT! But everywhere else, just wear normal shoes! I wear heels to dinner, flip-flops or sandals in the daytime....you do NOT need to buy special shoes!