Ditched & Debating: What to do with our Spring Break Cruise?

RCCL Fan

Some of you may remember, I'm booked on Serenade of the Seas this March during the lil one's spring break.

We live near Memphis, and are driving south to New Orleans to sail from there, my hometown.

Our first Radiance class cruise, and excited about sailing down river.

My wife, and I were traveling with our 2 daughters ages 6 and 1.

We also invited her brother and his wife & daughter.

All of us were sharing the Two Bedroom Suite, aka the Royal Family Suite.

We knew Serenade would be a little slower paced than our Oasis/Freedom class cruises of late, but with family we expected to have fun.

Well, the family ditched us.

They have a wedding in Mexico to go to, and say they can't swing both trips.

The 4 of us alone are not enough occupancy to have the 2-bedroom suite alone. TA asked Royal if they would make an exception, we were told no.

So.....

We have to move.

Only thing left on our sailing is JS or D1. All the GS & OS are gone.

Wife is disappointed about losing the "true suite"

So we looked at changing ships, (have to sail that week because of kid in school)

Between airfare and other costs it got pretty pricey.

So......

We are actually thinking of canceling altogether.

We've been to the islands on this route so many times, they mean little, we were going for time with the extended family.

We can save the money for the cruise.... 6200 total for the two bedroom suite and fly to Hawaii, with a stop over in Seattle to visit friends and break up the long flight for the kids.

With hotel and airfare it will add up to about the same price. Still have to pay for food, but I consider it a wash with having a shipboard account!

Or.....

We can drop down.

JS for 4800, save a few bucks

and if we do a D1 (my wife's suggestion) for only 3500 we can still afford to do Hawaii this summer.

but seriously can 4 of us survive a week in a D1???

It means no bathtub to bathe the 1 year old

no space to put the pack-n-play (crib) for the 1 year old to sleep.

5 year old would have to sleep in a bunk vs the fold out couch, as we doubt there's room.

and 1 year old takes 2-3 naps a day... someone's going to be stuck in there with her with no room to do much or anything

And we're just used to bigger cabins.

but for 3500 it seems like a no brainer.... and we still get Hawaii.

Do we do it?

pay the extra 1200 for a JS

or scrap the whole thing and do Hawaii now??

Oh yeah... todays my last day to make changes....

So please.... advise.

As John Quinones would say..... "What would you do?"

I usually just lurk on this board getting very good advice but saw your posting and wanted to respond - you have quite a dilemma there. I have no small children but have traveled with my daughter, SIL and GD so know what it is to cruise with a small child.

I was going to go into a dissertation about the pros and cons that you are facing but then I checked your sailing and see that JS1602 is available - take it!! Now!! and final isn't for a bit I'm sure so you'll have time to decide whether to stay with the cruise or go for Hawaii. Both are great choices!!

That is all I have to say!!

JMHO, but for us, a D1 on a Radiance class ship would be to crowded with a pack-n-play and a 5 YO. We've done that cat with our 7YO grandson, and it was tight. I'd opt for the JS.

I agree with this, I'd not do the D1. Either the JS or something else entirely.

If you would still like to cruise, I would take the previous advise and book 1602, with the MUCH larger balcony it will seem like a bigger room. I don't think you will be happy in the D1 with that many people and the pack n' play.

Personally, I have vowed to not go to Hawaii unless I am can make it at least a 2 week trip, and that's as an adult. I would NEVER take small children on such a LONG flight for such a short time on land, but that's just me.

Good luck on your decision.

My TA happened to be awake and just chatted with me for a while.

I've known her for almost 20 years.

She agrees it's too early to do Hawaii with the kids.

Way long flight and my youngest will have just turned 1, weeks before the trip.

She thinks its way too much at their young age.

We looked at the flights back and the times are horrible.

So now it's either the D1, or the JS.

She says I'm spoiled and we'll be fine in the D1, since we'll just be in the room at night and dressing for dinner, as we spend little time in the room. (Travel agent who encourages me to spend less... don't you love her??)

But you guys seem to love this 1602 cabin....

slowly getting there.

My TA happened to be awake and just chatted with me for a while.

I've known her for almost 20 years.

She agrees it's too early to do Hawaii with the kids.

Way long flight and my youngest will have just turned 1, weeks before the trip.

She thinks its way too much at their young age.

We looked at the flights back and the times are horrible.

So now it's either the D1, or the JS.

She says I'm spoiled and we'll be fine in the D1, since we'll just be in the room at night and dressing for dinner, as we spend little time in the room. (Travel agent who encourages me to spend less... don't you love her??)

slowly getting there.

While you may all physically fit in a D1, the JS is 100 sq ft larger - not any deeper, but a lot wider, has a walk-in closet (probably large enough set up and store the pack-n-play so you don't have to keep re-setting it every day) and an oversized balcony so when the lil one is napping you have a nice place to camp out.

It has a big balcony - you can bring an inflatable paddling pool for the kids to play in - if someone has to be in the cabin while baby naps then they can actually be enjoying a huge balcony - and the bathtub!! Much easier to bathe a baby in.

Plenty of room for the pac n play in the cabin so you won't be tripping over it or into it - we had an aft JS on the Freedom while our daughter and family were in an interior around the corner - cabin attendant was able to put a pac n play in our cabin as well - so while baby (9 months at the time) was napping designated caregiver could be reading and sunning on the balcony with plenty of space to move around and I'm pretty sure there is enough cover so the balcony has some shade at all times - nobody likes to be in full sun all the time!!

Another vote for JS 1602. I had that JS on Brilliance last April. My husband, two adult daughters, 6 year old granddaughter and myself. Plenty of room! The girls and I used the walk-in closet as a dressing room. I wouldn't hesitate to do that again.

As a Memphian who's followed your posts (and your newscasts) I hate to hear your plans have changed! BY CHANCE are any aft cabins open? We are leaving on Serenade tomorrow (WOOT!) and would be happy to try to check out some of the locations and maybe snag some pics if possible. The aft balcony may be big enough to give you some extra space in the standard balcony room. That's what we're doing... but... ha... we just have two people.

I'm going to HATE when RCI leaves New Orleans. I'd say stick with the sailing no matter what because once RCI is gone we won't be able to drive from New Orleans anymore.... just a thought, but have you compared to Navigator out of Galveston?

Another vote for 1602. We're on the Serenade the week before you, and a friend chose that particular JS over a GS because of the balcony. If you haven't seen pictures, Google it...right after you put a hold on the cabin!:D

No reason to give up the suite...if you got a good price and still want to keep it and do the sailing....consider if it's worth just paying for a 5th person to be able to stay in it. they really couldn't care if that 5th person shows;)just that you pay for a 5th person. Just an option to consider.

slowly getting there.

I'm thinking this is your call if you stick with the cruise. I've been on the roll call thread with you long enough to see that this is probably what you need to have to be happy with the situation.

1602 and 1100 JS are hard cabins to book and are often booked a year or more in advance so that is another plus.

Even though I said on the Roll Call thread that the D1 would probably be fine, Bob (clarea) has said here that you need the JS so you may as well take it to the bank. (as we say here in the South)

You can thank me for muddying the waters further at a later time. :D

No reason to give up the suite...if you got a good price and still want to keep it and do the sailing....consider if it's worth just paying for a 5th person to be able to stay in it. they really couldn't care if that 5th person shows;)just that you pay for a 5th person. Just an option to consider.

That is another option. As I understand it, you would be refunded the port taxes for a no show.

Hi RCCL Fan! Seems like just yesterday you were honeymooning on Independence and now there's a 1 year old in the picture too? Congrats! :D

Do they have any of those big, corner D1s like they do on freedom class? If not, I'd take the JS...don't cancel! You all deserve the break.

Hope it works out for you...come back with a review!

Best,

Missy