HAL Officially Announces Dive In Fleetwide

InTheWASide

Not too much in here we don't already know, but looks like this will be fleet wide by the end of this summer.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10977-holland-america-launches-dive-in-at-the-terrace-grill.html

Let's hope they don't end up charging for it; we heard that rumor ( :eek: ) on the Maasdam this month.

Edited by 0bnxshs

Not too much in here we don't already know, but looks like this will be fleet wide by the end of this summer.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/10977-holland-america-launches-dive-in-at-the-terrace-grill.html

I realized some people may not want to click the link, so here's the news in its entirety:

Holland America Launches 'Dive-in At the Terrace Grill'

ON 21 APRIL 2014.

Holland America Line is enhancing the Terrace Grill on its 15 premium ships and rebranding the popular lunch spot as “Dive-In at the Terrace Grill.” The outdoor bistro-style grill area by the ships’ Lido pool will feature new signature burgers, hot dogs and fries.

The first ships to open the new gourmet grill were ms Eurodam, ms Amsterdam and ms Maasdam. The remaining ships in the fleet will be opening Dive-In at the Terrace Grill throughout summer 2014. The areas will be decorated with new Dive-In signage and décor.

“We’re always listening to our guests and travel partners for ideas to evolve the dining experience on our ships with new concepts, and the Dive-In is an exciting enhancement to our culinary offerings,” said Richard Meadows, executive vice president of sales, marketing and guest programs for Holland America Line. “For a casual meal, Dive-In offers a delicious choice with a gourmet twist.”

All of the signature burgers are hand-formed, freshly made beef patties featuring Holland America Line’s secret Dive-In Sauce, chop-chop lettuce and sliced tomato on a toasted brioche bun in addition to other accoutrements. Guests can choose from burgers such as The Gainer, which is served with a mound of crispy frizzled onions; The Cannonball with Gouda cheese, applewood smoked bacon and sweet caramelized onions; and The High-Dive with cheddar cheese. Guests in the mood for chicken can choose The Back Flip chicken breast burger topped with guacamole and all the burger dressings, while vegetarians can sample The Freestyle, a vegetarian burger with grilled portabella mushroom topped with melting Gouda and cheddar cheeses, avocado and Dive-In sauce.

“I applaud the creativity and skills of our culinary team to come up with a tasty menu that could be a stand-alone bistro grill on land,” said Michael Smith, senior vice president, marine hotel operations for Holland America Line. “It’s been a fantastic hit with our guests so far and we know it will continue to be very popular.”

Signature hot dogs feature Nathan’s Famous all beef dogs, all served with Dive-In Sauce in a poppy-seed bun. The Dive-In Dog is topped with American-style mustard and a mound of crispy frizzled onions; The Dog Paddle is topped with sauerkraut, crispy bacon bits and German mustard, while The Dunkin’ Dog is topped with melty cheese sauce, pickled jalapenos and chopped red onions.

No hamburger or hot dog would be complete without Dive-In French Fries, and guests can order them three ways: traditional, topped with Dive-In Sauce or smothered in melty cheese sauce.

The existing Taco Bar will continue to be available with the Dive-In at the Terrace Grill. Guests make their own taco with handmade tortillas or hard taco shells and a selection of popular condiments and fillings including chicken, beef and pork.

Let's hope they don't end up charging for it; we heard that rumor ( :eek: ) on the Maasdam this month.

Considering Carnival doesn't charge for the Guy Fieri burgers and those things are INCREDIBLE it would be a really bad move if HAL ever decided to charge for burgers, hot dogs and fries.

We applaud HAL trying to improve the grill offerings (the only way they can go is up) but doubt if they will allow their cooks to make a rare or medium rare burger. IMHO, when you grill a burger till its well done, and then grill it again, nothing is going to make it good :).

For those that would site USPHS rules on burgers we would not the policy on Princess. They also post the usual health warnings...but have a hidden book (under the counter) where a passenger can sign a release to get something cooked rare, med rare or med. And yes, we do sign our life away to get our rare meat :)

Hank

We will be on the Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and will be interested in finding out if this Dive In is an improvement over the previous burger place. Personally, I don't really want anything more than a burger with onion, tomato, and lettuce so I suppose I am in the minority. Glad they still have the taco bar.

We will be on the Amsterdam in a couple of weeks and will be interested in finding out if this Dive In is an improvement over the previous burger place. Personally, I don't really want anything more than a burger with onion, tomato, and lettuce so I suppose I am in the minority. Glad they still have the taco bar.

We tried it on the Eurodam in December and found it to be a great improvement in quality and taste over what they used to have. Hope you enjoy. The brioche buns are super yummy!!

From what I have read on CC, the introduction of Dive-In is a very positive change. While I always enjoyed the Terrace Grill, I think I will enjoy this addition even more.

On the Eurodam this past August/Sepetember because of the passenger mix, I have no doubt, the Terrace Grill offered some Dutch/European specialties, i.e Bitterballen. I wonder if these will no be available at Dive-In regardless of where the ship is sailing.

The burgers are always a favorite of ours, and we're looking forward to trying the new Dive In offerings.

I'd be interested in the rollout schedule for the ships, especially for Amsterdam...

Edited by cp556

The burgers are always a favorite of ours, and we're looking forward to trying the new Dive In offerings.

I'd be interested in the rollout schedule for the ships, especially for Amsterdam...

Yeah, I thought someone reported it being on the Westerdam, but this article would contradict that.

It would be nice if they would step up the size of the Hot Dog ...

It would be nice if they would step up the number of employees working the grill area. There has only been one working (and slowly) any time I go there.

Edited by Sue from Canada

Yeah, I thought someone reported it being on the Westerdam, but this article would contradict that.

I think HAL considers it fully rolled out when all the signage, fixtures, pagers, etc. are in place. They added the fresh meat on the Noordam the week after our sailing, but it wasn't technically the Dive In yet.

The Dive-In was already in operation on the Nieuw Amsterdam when we were on her March/April.

The hamburgers were better than the ones in the past -- still not the sirloin meat we buy at home.

Nathan's hot dogs were never big ones -- so don't expect to get big ones on the ship.

Nathan's dogs could be a little bigger ..

The Amsterdam already has it: "The first ships to open the new gourmet grill were ms Eurodam, ms Amsterdam and ms Maasdam. The remaining ships in the fleet will be opening Dive-In at the Terrace Grill throughout summer 2014. The areas will be decorated with new Dive-In signage and décor."

We should be good to try it on our upcoming cruise!!

The Amsterdam already has it: "The first ships to open the new gourmet grill were ms Eurodam, ms Amsterdam and ms Maasdam. The remaining ships in the fleet will be opening Dive-In at the Terrace Grill throughout summer 2014. The areas will be decorated with new Dive-In signage and décor."

We should be good to try it on our upcoming cruise!!

Thanks, AQ! That's what I get for speed reading .... :rolleyes:

I would think that an upcharge for hamburgers and hot dogs would make HAL a laughingstock of the cruise industry.

RCCL does it with their Johnny Rockets restaurants. There is a charge for their hamburgers and hot dogs at that venue.