Can't bring soda on board anymore

lixogab

Perhaps we will get a "Live from _______" report soon from one of the weekend departures and see what the scoop is. The first few cruises of this policy change may get interesting.

The new memo on the website says that embarking passengers will need to return cases of water to their vehicle. That won't work so,well for the majority of cruisers who do not drive to port. The luggage drop in Miami is chaotic on any day- if water refusals occur with no vehicle to return to, wonder where they'll stack it all up? This should make those chipper porters even more pleasant.

I haven't received a notification yet. Waaaay past final

As someone who was in the pharmaceutical industry, I found this article from Bloomberg interesting.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/moneybox/2016/07/epipen_costs_have_soared_450_percent_in_the_past_12_years_for_no_good_reason.html?wpsrc=sh_all_dt_tw_top

Anyone have news about embark this weekend?

Triptolemus-was that for a double pack? Because that is an amazing price! We get them "wholesale " but they are only supposed to be dispensed in the two - pack. That's why the 900 , if for the two pack, was not out of bounds.

With this latest and greatest change, I don't know what NCL is trying to prove other than to drive customers away.

Classic and Premium beverage packages on Celebrity include gratuities, bottled water and specialty coffees. Looks like Princess includes water and coffee as well with their beverage package.

What's next...charging for entertainment, charging by pieces of luggage, charging for anything in the MDR other than some fixed/standard options, cover charges for bar area entertainment? It wouldn't surprise me.

But congratulations to NCL...they are redefining the nitpicking nickle and dimeing that cruise lines all too often get labeled. They're leading the way.

Don't give them any more ideas. They'll read this and implement. Oh well, soon they will be just like the airlines. But even they allow me to carry a sandwich on board.

I love that the bottle has lines to tell you how much water you have drank as well - really helps with my hydration. And I like it because it fits in the side of my cruise backpack really good, the water bottles were always kind of precarious because they were really too small to go in there.

Does the filter work well to remove the chlorine taste and smell? Ship's water always seems so heavily chlorinated to me; about five times the amount of smell our home tap water has (our municipality doesn't even use chlorine any longer ... they use chloramines which have much less taste and smell impact).

Perhaps we will get a "Live from _______" report soon from one of the weekend departures and see what the scoop is. The first few cruises of this policy change may get interesting.

The new memo on the website says that embarking passengers will need to return cases of water to their vehicle. That won't work so,well for the majority of cruisers who do not drive to port. The luggage drop in Miami is chaotic on any day- if water refusals occur with no vehicle to return to, wonder where they'll stack it all up? This should make those chipper porters even more pleasant.

I haven't received a notification yet. Waaaay past final

It might make all the porters super happy as they would get to split up all the drinks left and take them all home.

I must admit I am frustrated with reading the posts on this forum. To those criticizing people for not liking specific brands, well that is their choice. They have the right to like or dislike something. Regardless of this being a first world problem, it is a problem for them and we all need to respect their opinion.

I am not happy with NCL. My 4-year old daughter is highly allergic to milk. We always take a lactose free powder and bottle water. The ships do not always have lactose free milk and on several cruises we have been on, they run out.

I also bring my daughter pediasure. Now I can't do this.

What burns my butt the most is the exorbitant price Norwegian is charging for water. I have no problem paying for bottled water but i will not pay $50.00 for 12 bottles that cost at most $10.00. Now there will be ridiculous lines in the buffet because people will be filing their water bottles up.

The water isn't as overpriced as you think it is. You're slightly off on the price of the water on NCL and way off on what 1 Liter bottles of Aquafina cost on shore.

You can buy a "gift" of 12 1 Liter bottles of Aquafina water on ncl.com for $40. People are comparing that to sale prices, different bottles, etc. 1 liter Auqafina bottles are $1.25 each or more every place I looked, so if you could find them that cheaply the case of 12 would be $15. Most places I've looked, like my local CVS, WalMart, etc. the price is higher than that. The NCL price for 12 is 2.6 times the price of that one on-line source at $1.25 per bottle.

Beer is marked up the most in my opinion, as it is about 10 times the cost at Walmart. Wine is marked up about 4 times in my rough estimation.

But, this is the final straw for us because the change shows the management team at NCL is not through changing things. We figured all the bad decisions so far were the "new" team getting their feet wet. They seem unable to establish any kind of consistency and have become unreliable as a vacation source. We thought that might be the case and didn't buy new future cruise certificates on our last three cruises. So we are actively looking elsewhere and will try Celebrity next. We might still book NCL, but probably only within a month or two of sailing, and only if the cruise is a rock bottom price.

Does the filter work well to remove the chlorine taste and smell? Ship's water always seems so heavily chlorinated to me; about five times the amount of smell our home tap water has (our municipality doesn't even use chlorine any longer ... they use chloramines which have much less taste and smell impact).

I can only speak to how it helps with my water at home, because I got this waterbottle after my last cruise. The water from my tap is high in iron, so kind of sweet tasting, and the filter takes out that sweet taste and it just tastes...well normal. so I would assume so. Also, if you buy it from amazon, they have a return policy so you could always get your money back if it doesnt work.

The water isn't as overpriced as you think it is. You're slightly off on the price of the water on NCL and way off on what 1 Liter bottles of Aquafina cost on shore.

You can buy a "gift" of 12 1 Liter bottles of Aquafina water on ncl.com for $40.

The $40 price you're posting doesn't include the 18% NCL tax. As I've previously posted, comparing to "land based" stores isn't really a valid comparison. Try comparing NCL to their competition.

Princess

12 pk 16.9 oz @ $3.90: 202.8 oz, $0.0192 per oz.

NCL

24 pk x 33.8 oz @ $ 70.74: 811.2 oz, $0.0872 per oz.

---

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

Norwegian, Bottled water:

$11.16 / gallon

Water package prices w/ 18% NCL tax:

ncl-water.jpg

Edited by triptolemus

The $40 price you're posting doesn't include the 18% NCL tax. As I've previously posted, comparing to "land based" stores isn't really a valid comparison. Try comparing NCL to their competition.

I was told the 18% was not charged when pre-purchased. But even so, it is not "ten times" what it costs in a store even including the 18%. It's 3.14 times the lowest cost I see advertised on shore (hey, that's pi!) I'm not even counting the CRV charged in CA because if you recycle the bottles you get that back. And most places on shore the water is much more than $1.25 a bottle. It was $1.95 at my local CVS.

The underlying concern is that NCL is jacking up the price to an unreasonable amount. But they are providing a premium product at 2 - 3 times the price. Not 10 times. That's the only point.

Maybe they could sell Carnival Brand water at $4 for a 12 pack of 16 ounce bottles; I would certainly be happier with that. Or they could have bottle refilling stations. Or strike a deal and sell the cheaper-by-the-ounce 16 ounce bottles in a 12 pack for a reasonable amount that is 2 - 3 times the price. That would be better.

All of the changes at NCL are a reason to quit sailing them (at least for us). Not because any one of them stands alone as such an outrage but because it shows they have an unending ability to muck around with their business in consumer-unfriendly ways and will continue to do so for the entire term of the current management team. Any hair-brained bad idea they can think of they will try.

I was told the 18% was not charged when pre-purchased.

The underlying concern is that NCL is jacking up the price to an unreasonable amount.

All of the changes at NCL are a reason to quit sailing them (at least for us). Not because any one of them stands alone as such an outrage but because it shows they have an unending ability to muck around with their business in consumer-unfriendly ways and will continue to do so for the entire term of the current management team. Any hair-brained bad idea they can think of they will try.

The 18% NCL tax is indicated on the page you linked, but otherwise, we are in complete agreement on these other two points.

It might make all the porters super happy as they would get to split up all the drinks left and take them all home.

Or, resell them to "other" cruiseline's passengers for profit ... win-win, or not :p

Aren't those NCL declared serious safety and security risks/threats at the ports, with gallons of liquid being surrendered and collected - prior to being carted away for "proper" disposal.

As for other revenue sources for NCL, I'm waiting for more chips to fall ... airlines: luggage fees, early boarding, priority disembarkation, etc. - not to worry, one can be certain it's been inked. For our convenience, endless possibilities and sky is the limited - and, for cheerleading purposes ... the phrase "I" am fine with "that" will be repeated over & over again here, along with quite a few other pom poms. Feestyle cruising - it is just like any other business.

Edited by mking8288

Or, resell them to "other" cruiseline's passengers for profit ... win-win, or not :p

Aren't those NCL declared serious safety and security risks/threats at the ports, with gallons of liquid being surrendered and collected - prior to being carted away for "proper" disposal.

As for other revenue sources for NCL, I'm waiting for more chips to fall ... airlines: luggage fees, early boarding, priority disembarkation, etc. - not to worry, one can be certain it's been inked. For our convenience, endless possibilities and sky is the limited - and, for cheerleading purposes ... the phrase "I" am fine with "that" will be repeated over & over again here, along with quite a few other pom poms. Feestyle cruising - it is just like any other business.

Or the famous quotes .." it doesn't affect me

Or

" cruise another line"

I've always assumed because a lot of the whiners are here, and they are trying to limit the collateral damage to people researching their first cruise.

People don't come here to critique, they come to complain, which is unfortunate. You also have people complaining who have no intention of going on an NCL ship, and that is problematic to the brand, I'm sure.

If I had read some of these comments before my first cruise, I never would have gone.

This board always seems like the NCL Hater's Club, and I'm sure they would rather not have one at all, not matter how small.

The complainers here are like babies - small but loud.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do people not realize that the cruise lines read all the boards about cruising, not just Cruise Critic, just like the airlines read all boards about air travel. I think NCL actually dismisses most of the complainers, since it is pretty much the same folks having an issue with everything NCL does.

BTW, any news reports about all those disgruntled cruisers who brought water or soda and was told to dispose of it?

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think NCL actually dismisses most of the complainers, since it is pretty much the same folks having an issue with everything NCL does.

I'm sure they ignore the chronic complainers as well, but it has to be a bit disconcerting to read people's comments that they are unhappy and they haven't even been on their first cruise yet.

Those are the people they're trying to prevent by meeting with CC people onboard, and asking that problems be resolved onboard and not on here.

Is CC "Cruise Critic" or "Chronic Complainers"?

Surely if NCL's motive was entirely profit-driven (which I don't believe it is),

then they could institute a $15 / bottle corkage fee for the 2L coke bottles.

Given this thread, clearly they'd make millions on it, without needing to retrofit their soda guns, and without having to actually SELL Coke products in violation of their Pepsi contract.

Stephen

Just boarded the Getaway. They were not allowing anyone in the terminal with any liquid. Nobody we saw complaining or making a stink. Had a great lunch in Taste and drank perfectly fine ship water with my Mojito. Now just waiting for my luggage so I can have my refillable water bottle to bring up to the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just boarded the Getaway. They were not allowing anyone in the terminal with any liquid. Nobody we saw complaining or making a stink. Had a great lunch in Taste and drank perfectly fine ship water with my Mojito. Now just waiting for my luggage so I can have my refillable water bottle to bring up to the buffet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you know or hear if anyone who put liquids in with their checked luggage got it confiscated? We always checked our case of Coke.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've always assumed because a lot of the whiners are here, and they are trying to limit the collateral damage to people researching their first cruise.

People don't come here to critique, they come to complain, which is unfortunate. You also have people complaining who have no intention of going on an NCL ship, and that is problematic to the brand, I'm sure.

If I had read some of these comments before my first cruise, I never would have gone.

This board always seems like the NCL Hater's Club, and I'm sure they would rather not have one at all, not matter how small.

The complainers here are like babies - small but loud.

With reading what you wrote I would have to agree slightly...NCL is the most complained about cruise line from what I have seen. I don't believe it a "hater's club" but people who are frustrated with the changes they have made in the past year, ie, charging for restaurants when at booking they were complimentary, adding 18% gratuity to the drink package, charging for room service, not allowing water or soda on board, etc. And when people voice there opinion on some of the changes NCL has made there are some people who immediately swoop down to bad mouth them. Calling them whiner or babies. I truly believe NCL hires people to do this in hopes they can stop some of the criticisms.

Maybe if they would make some changes that make people happy you would see happy comments.

My next two cruises are with NCL and one with a stop at Harvest Caye. It looks beautiful and I am hoping after we go to right something good about the experience....if it does not go good I will right that as well. That is not complaining...it is stating a fact.

And I am not at all happy about not being able to bring water on board...it is just another way for them to nickel and dime people. Am I still going...yes...will I buy water on board...no not unless they reduce their exorbitant price. I will bring a bottle and fill it. So it is not going to cost me anything more...it is just going to make it a pain to have to do this. And I fell that it is such a small thing that if NCL reads these boards and sees how this small issue has turned into a big issue maybe they will go back to allowing the beverages to be brought on.

Mary

I'm not sure how anyone could say that with a straight face.

If any element of this was a legitimate security issue, the restriction would have been implemented immediately. Not weeks later. You don't say "hey, if you wanna liquid bomb my ship, do it now, because in two weeks, no more liquids" or "hey, if you wanna liquid bomb my ship, put your wares in a wine bottle and re-seal the thing... $15 and no problem!"

Ridiculous statement, Stephen.

Conversely, if it's all about the money, you let people do the thing...for a surcharge.

The wine thing is a good point - if you bottle your own wine, you probably have a sealer, etc. Why not just fill the wine bottle with whiskey or vodka?

And I believe the spell is spelled Riddikulus. :D

Stephen

The wine thing is a good point - if you bottle your own wine, you probably have a sealer, etc. Why not just fill the wine bottle with whiskey or vodka?

I'll have to remember this the next time I cruise without a beverage package - thanks for the great idea!

I'll have to remember this the next time I cruise without a beverage package - thanks for the great idea!

Just remember that Vodka is not a RED colored wine nor is whiskey scotch rum etc.

And don't make the crude mistake of using twist off/on metal caps - if NCL

can't get a CORKAGE fee out of it - it ain't going to pass muster !

Oh and incidentally not many notable wines come from Kentucky nor Vodkas

from California !

Just remember that Vodka is not a RED colored wine nor is whiskey scotch rum etc.

And don't make the crude mistake of using twist off/on metal caps - if NCL

can't get a CORKAGE fee out of it - it ain't going to pass muster !

Oh and incidentally not many notable wines come from Kentucky nor Vodkas

from California !

it's painfully obvious you've never smuggled booze on before.

I would assume if you brought a twist off, they would still just charge you the fee

I mean the EASIEST thing to smuggle in a wine bottle with a screw cap would be vodka, just use food coloring...as for how you'd do it with other liquors, idk. Maybe shooters in with your toiletries and unmentionables.

Edited by aubreyc1988