Vista - Did I make a mistake?

Beachiekeen

Hubby and I booked a cruise for my 50th birthday in 2019 on the Vista when it comes to Galveston. We were just looking for an easy spring break cruise for that year as we will have a big land vacation that fall for our 10-year anniversary. We wanted to sail out of Galveston and since we've been on the RCL ship already, Vista was the only choice.

It seemed like a good choice at the time--big, new, lots of food choices, etc. And we booked a Havana premium balcony so we would have access to the extra pool. I had read that people don't like the theater, but since we hardly see shows on a cruise (we might see one the whole week), I didn't think it would be an issue.

But now I am reading that there are lots of bad reviews and no one likes it. Are there other things about it people don't like and if so, what are they?

Our only other Carnival cruise was on the Magic before the upgrades. It was on spring break, crowded, and we did not like the food choices that much but on this ship, we will have more of them, which was our main issue. Plus this cruise will be late April which I would think would be better as far as crowds?

Will we be ok or should we cancel and look for something else? I mainly just want to lay by the pool, swim, relax, enjoy the balcony and the ports. Thanks for any advice.

Have you read one single bad review from some one that has stayed in the Havana area?.........waiting.........Still waiting......crickets. Don't second guess yourself, check out the Verizon, AARP and Allstate threads about the 10% off cards and then apply the savings to your cruise balance as well as anything else you may get on board, including Cheers. Late April is a great time of year weather wise and you also don't have to worry about kids in the Havana area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We're cruising on the Vista in about three weeks, and I've read probably most, if not all, of those same reviews. I'm approaching it with cautious optimism. I look at it this way. It's currently the newest ship in the fleet. Any problems that came up during the inaugural cruise, or the first few weeks, should all be taken care of by now. Hopefully there'll be very few, if any problems when we cruise. I guess we'll find out in about three weeks.

"I mainly just want to lay by the pool, swim, relax, enjoy the balcony and the ports"

I think if this is your focus, then you should enjoy the Havana area on the Vista and all the benefits it includes.

Hubby and I booked a cruise for my 50th birthday in 2019 on the Vista when it comes to Galveston. We were just looking for an easy spring break cruise for that year as we will have a big land vacation that fall for our 10-year anniversary. We wanted to sail out of Galveston and since we've been on the RCL ship already, Vista was the only choice.

It seemed like a good choice at the time--big, new, lots of food choices, etc. And we booked a Havana premium balcony so we would have access to the extra pool. I had read that people don't like the theater, but since we hardly see shows on a cruise (we might see one the whole week), I didn't think it would be an issue.

But now I am reading that there are lots of bad reviews and no one likes it. Are there other things about it people don't like and if so, what are they?

Our only other Carnival cruise was on the Magic before the upgrades. It was on spring break, crowded, and we did not like the food choices that much but on this ship, we will have more of them, which was our main issue. Plus this cruise will be late April which I would think would be better as far as crowds?

Will we be ok or should we cancel and look for something else? I mainly just want to lay by the pool, swim, relax, enjoy the balcony and the ports. Thanks for any advice.

We were just on the Vista 2 weeks ago (2/25 sailing). We LOVED it. We were in a Havana Suite and you will love having the quiet, less crowded pool and bar area. The venue for the shows (name escapes me right now) was terrible but we saw two very enjoyable shows there and if you get there early, you can find a good seat.

We would definitely cruise on the Vista again. Feel free to ask more questions.

I had the same thought when I booked our Cruise on the Vista 3 weeks ago for 2018. I've decided I'm going into it with a positive open mind because every ship I've ever sailed has had bad reviews. I always get myself worried when I read negative reviews,I always end up haveing a great time! It's all what you make it.

What ever else people do or do not like about the Vista....... the Havana pool area combined with the Ocean Plaza make it all wonderful. The Havana pool area is almost never crowded, there is always a seat in the sun or in the shade. Two hot tubs and an infinity pool that we never saw more than 3 people at a time in, a bar that is always manned (or woman-ned), coffee in the morning, 15 steps to a small breakfast buffet if you don't feel up to fighting the Lido crowds, quick access to the elevators if you do. Deck 4 & 5 house most of the night life, so it's an easy stroll from your room. We spent very little time on the Lido Deck.

There were things we didn't like about the Vista. For one thing she's too big for us, but the Havana quiet made it all better for me.

We Loved the Vista, so much so, that I am considering a B2B on her next Feb. Yes the theater has some design flaws, and it doesn't have the 10 story atrium, but that said, she has more dining options than any other Carnival ship.

We had anytime dining and although we did not go to the dining room every night, when we did we never had to wait for a table and service was prompt.

I think you are going to love the Vista, especially since you have a Havana Balcony (we had an inside on 10).

Enjoy!

I just do not like the big ships, far too crowded for me to enjoy my week. I found the Dream to be a mess. Not enough space for 4000 people plus crew. The rest of my cruising with Carnival will be Spirit class or smaller.

You have a Havana Cabana booked so you will be fine.

I am sailing in an Havana Cabana suite in February on Deck 5 and read the reviews and I really am not nervous. I'm not loyal to any cruise line and I can tell you when CCL Dream first came out, it got horrible reviews (we did that for my dds Sweet 16 and she still says that was her best cruise ever, and it was fabulous). I sailed RCCL Independence over NYE two years ago when the ship was getting awful reviews and we had a blast. NCL Breakaway also not great reviews the first year or two and again, nothing.

A vacation is what you make it so make it great and don't stress. Nothing is perfect in life, nothing and not any one day.

I can tell you I never told my family about the negative reviews and no one had a clue or ever said a word. Being you are in the Havana Cabana area seems to me that it will be a relaxing, stressless day. Enjoy!

Yayyy, thank you, I feel much better! :) The Vista will actually be the biggest ship I have been on so it will be interesting to see what I think of a bigger ship. And yes, a cruise is what we make of it so worst comes to worst, we'll just stay in the Havana, eat hamburgers and BBQ, drink and enjoy the balcony--that is really all we want to do anyway, ha!

Whew, crisis averted. :)

In your OP you were talking about the food, we all know food is subjective. I use to say the food was not as great on Carnival cruises as other cruise lines, however lately I would not say that. I was just on a Princess cruise over Christmas time (the Ruby), and the food in my subjective opinion was not great. My wife and I both said after the first day, "is it me or was the last Carnival cruise food far better then Princess." We both decided to open our minds and wait until the cruise was over to make another statement like this. 8 days later well..........we still thought our last Carnival cruise was better (food wise). Is it that Carnival's food is getting better, or the other cruise lines getting worst? Nevertheless enjoy your cruise, it is all what you make of it. If you go in thinking, "this is going to be a horrible cruise" it probably will. Now my DW and I expect nothing but positive thoughts from the OP starting now until your cruise:*, hey how bad can it be not doing dishes, laundry, cooking, ect......:hearteyes:.

Really? No One??

We had a terrific time in January.

Ha, I guess no one was a little harsh! :) Actually the reviews I have read have been pretty good--mostly it has been generalizations in threads that it has problems, bad reviews, etc. All of the Havana reviews have been good which was another reason we chose it.

Yeah food is very subjective and I'm going on Princess and NCL this year and the food reviews are very hit or miss on those boards too. I did like the food on RCL though overall.

Oh well, Vista is our only other choice here in Texas and it's booked so we're going and I'm sure it will be great.

Have you read one single bad review from some one that has stayed in the Havana area?.........waiting.........Still waiting......crickets. Don't second guess yourself, check out the Verizon, AARP and Allstate threads about the 10% off cards and then apply the savings to your cruise balance as well as anything else you may get on board, including Cheers. Late April is a great time of year weather wise and you also don't have to worry about kids in the Havana area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

SNJ, that was a very encouraging response to assuage the anxieties expressed by the OP. I am just following the thread and have no particular interest or insight on the subject. I felt better just reading your post though. Thanks again!!!!

With all those horrible reviews I suggest you cancel ASAP so someone who actually wants a Havana Balcony Cabin will jump on that cabin. Yes any doubts you have you should go else where and leave the cabin to those who really want to cruise on the Vista. Bad Vista! I booked my cabin 556 days before the cruise. I could not even get a Havana Balcony at that time. So yes please cancel.

With all those horrible reviews I suggest you cancel ASAP so someone who actually wants a Havana Balcony Cabin will jump on that cabin. Yes any doubts you have you should go else where and leave the cabin to those who really want to cruise on the Vista. Bad Vista! I booked my cabin 556 days before the cruise. I could not even get a Havana Balcony at that time. So yes please cancel.

Wow, that is crazy. We were over 750 days--we've never booked anything so far in advance. I really do want to go, I think I was just second guessing and there's no need to do that. Everyone has made me feel much better. :D

Check out this clip from You Tube.

Once I saw it, it was the impetus for me to book TWO cruises on the Horizon in the Havana area, in an inside, for 8 days out of NYC in August of 2018 over Labor Day and again in February of 2019 for 8 days Southern Caribbean over Valentines Day.

SNJ, that was a very encouraging response to assuage the anxieties expressed by the OP. I am just following the thread and have no particular interest or insight on the subject. I felt better just reading your post though. Thanks again!!!!
Thanks....all I ever try to do is pay it forward and occasionally engage in a heated discussion over some inane topic. ;)

Check out this clip from You Tube.

Once I saw it, it was the impetus for me to book TWO cruises on the Horizon in the Havana area, in an inside, for 8 days out of NYC in August of 2018 over Labor Day and again in February of 2019 for 8 days Southern Caribbean over Valentines Day.

Thanks it looks awesome! Our BFF is going with us and he will be in a Havana inside right next to us. I am going to send him and my husband this video!